Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://colinmccomb.com/?p=243

Invading our world.

The dream Adam and I began discussing nearly 3 years ago with Kevin Saunders and Brian Fargo is slowly nearing reality. Its tendrils reach into our world, tearing apart the fabric of existence, birthing itself through force of will.

A couple of weeks ago, we released our first Alpha Systems Test, A0. This test contains both the first conversation in the game, “Falling”, and Fathom 13, our first playable space. Fathom 13 is also a narrative character generator, which means that the choices you make within that area help determine the skills and abilities of your character throughout the rest of Torment: Tides of Numenera. (I freely admit that our inspiration was old-school Ultima)

Yesterday we released B0, the first taste of the PC’s experience in the real world, allowing our players to explore the Broken Dome and the Reef of Fallen Worlds, and introducing two of our companions: Aligern and Callistege. The area was designed by George Ziets, and much of the text in this area was written by Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, with Adam Heine providing design oversight. Environment art for these two areas was created by Paul Fish and Jon Gwyn.

More is coming. I think you’ll be happily surprised.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I enjoyed the exploration in B0, in particular interacting with the numerous numenera in the Reef of Fallen Worlds map. Looking forward to seeing the larger picture CnC of these interactions. The map itself looks quite nice too.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Holy fucking shit, I'm getting the right kind of vibes from that lastest AST build. This is going to be amazing by looks and feels of it all.

I didn't even find the animations etc. that sluggish, but it's an alpha, so whatever, y'know.

Gondolin

Arcane
I2nSPKa.jpg

Shammy

Learned
This looks like its shaping up really really well. Hopefully the rest of the game has the same kind of quality!

On a side note, do we have any more information on combat besides the fact that its turn based?

SniperHF

Arcane
On a side note, do we have any more information on combat besides the fact that its turn based?

Well it's probably worth delving into the Crisis system.
http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/post/92560910675/adam-talks-crises
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0besHVJZpvFU1RaY0dGWlZ5V0U/edit?pli=1
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?t=10146

Important to note that Crisis doesn't necessarily equal combat but most of the significant combats (all?) will be during a Crisis.
Tussles are the lesser combats.

I'm going in pretty close to blind to both Numenera systems and most of the update material since the KS campaign ended. Once there's a true alpha or beta that has a sequence of play to dig in I'll get more nitpicky about it. Most of the terminology just sort of blurred together for me till playing B0 since it finally puts something tactile to the concepts. A0/A1 was too scripted to be all that interesting to me in a vacuum.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Numenera's system is very rudimentary.

There are ten difficulty levels. To beat an attack or hit an enemy, there's a difficulty level. You roll a d20. Level 1 = 3 and level 10 = 30. You can spend effort to make the difficulty go down.

Health is in three pools, Might Speed and Intellect. You spend points to make attacks and apply effort. If you spend all of your points or lose them from being hit you die. Whee.
Also all attacks attack Speed, Might or Intellect so they are also your saving throws and called Speed/Might/Intellect Defense. You can become trained and then specialized in each to reduce chance of getting hit.
Also there is armor that works as damage reduction and shields that are bonus to Speed Defense.

Shammy

Learned
Well it's probably worth delving into the Crisis system.
http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/post/92560910675/adam-talks-crises
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0besHVJZpvFU1RaY0dGWlZ5V0U/edit?pli=1
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?t=10146

Important to note that Crisis doesn't necessarily equal combat but most of the significant combats (all?) will be during a Crisis.
Tussles are the lesser combats.

I'm going in pretty close to blind to both Numenera systems and most of the update material since the KS campaign ended. Once there's a true alpha or beta that has a sequence of play to dig in I'll get more nitpicky about it. Most of the terminology just sort of blurred together for me till playing B0 since it finally puts something tactile to the concepts. A0/A1 was too scripted to be all that interesting to me in a vacuum.
Sounds really interesting, definitely a neat take on tabletop rules. I wonder how it'll be translated into the game completely. We've seen the "effort" system when it comes to skill checks, now I just need to see combat to get a good grasp of the systems at work.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
In-game they're referred to as placeholder, here are the names in the code:
Aligern
Callistege
Rritis
Matkina
Oom
Rhin
Riastrad
Tybir
The Specter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Notice that it uses PoE's companion selection interface - T:ToN isn't even supposed to allow you to have that many party members at once.

Also, since when does this game have nine party members? Maybe one of them is temporary.

Athelas

Arcane
I wonder if someone will mod in an expanded party size (or if there will be a console command for it).
Notice that it uses PoE's companion selection interface - T:ToN isn't even supposed to allow you to have that many party members at once.

Also, since when does this game have nine party members? Maybe one of them is temporary.
Isn't nine how many companions were promised during the Kickstarter campaign?

Athelas

Arcane
Oh now I remember: you have to choose at one point between two companions. So you can only have eight companions on any playthrough.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Also, you can theoretically have unlimited companions, I spawned them all in at once and it ran kinda fine. You can't talk to them since none of their convo files are in yet, inXile have been good at keeping usused assets out, except for code of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom