Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Notice that the movement is less abstract and more simulated than in PoE, with characters speeding up to run towards farther destinations and slowing down to walk towards nearer ones. That's okay in combat because turn-based, but even outside of combat I'm not a huge fan of that.

srdobos

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Notice that the movement is less abstract and more simulated than in PoE, with characters speeding up to run towards farther destinations and slowing down to walk towards nearer ones. That's okay in combat because turn-based, but even outside of combat I'm not a huge fan of that.
I'm glad somebody noticed that. It is one of the more subtle improvements made over PE, but took quite a bit of headscratching to figure out. I feared that it would go unnoticed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm glad somebody noticed that. It is one of the more subtle improvements made over PE, but took quite a bit of headscratching to figure out. I feared that it would go unnoticed.

Improvement? Pshaw.

Hey, wait a minute...you're Steve Dobos, aren't you? Welcome, Steve.

Folks, meet Torment's lead programmer (or something like that I think)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Holy shit the visuals look so strange. So alien. I love it.

It may sound cheesy but I hope the writers include some "human warmth", that is something familiar, something the player can identify with, otherwise it may feel too cold, ponderous and distanced for the majority of the plebs.

: Destiny:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
83,000 isn't an impressive number inXile. :lol:

Big improvement over Wasteland 2 as far as graphics, art style, and writing go.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Freakin' fucking fantastic.

This can be used here again.

Y57bseO.gif

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

It may sound cheesy but I hope the writers include some "human warmth", that is something familiar, something the player can identify with, otherwise it may feel too cold, ponderous and distanced for the majority of the plebs.

Are you asking if there'll be another brothel?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Are you asking if there'll be another brothel?
Kotaku won't like it but I absolutely am.

Zeriel

Arcane
They should have gone with:

Some say the RPG genre is dead.
It kind of is.
Gamers can't read.

Coming 2015.

For ultimate irony, make the text all blurred so no one can actually read it.

Zeriel

Arcane
In case the usual suspects are reading this:

The trailer is overall very, very exciting but just as a point of feedback, I really dislike the multiple colors used in the dialogue. I can understand the motivation behind it, but when you have so many in play at once it just comes across as a weird rainbow of clashing colors that reminds me (unfavorably) of random MUD combat systems from the 90's. It distracts from the actual text itself, which I suspect is the opposite of the intention (to improve readability, I'd assume).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like what I see in this trailer and the voice acting seemd good enough. Not bad for such early footage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
In case the usual suspects are reading this:

The trailer is overall very, very exciting but just as a point of feedback, I really dislike the multiple colors used in the dialogue. I can understand the motivation behind it, but when you have so many in play at once it just comes across as a weird rainbow of clashing colors that reminds me (unfavorably) of random MUD combat systems from the 90's. It distracts from the actual text itself, which I suspect is the opposite of the intention (to improve readability, I'd assume).

The colors are kind of part of the game's overall design (color-coded Tides). Other than those, it's not that much more colorful than PS:T. It's got non-dialogue descriptive text colored in gray, which is an interesting choice.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
someone in the KS comments said the font is too big. what a stupid comment to make. the font is, for once, very good.
as for the color-coding, it doesn't bother me at all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They will probably allow us to change size of text like in Pillars of Eternity.

Zeriel

Arcane
The colors are kind of part of the game's overall design (color-coded Tides). Other than those, it's not that much more colorful than PS:T. It's got non-dialogue descriptive text colored in gray, which is an interesting choice.

It's just all a bit much. Not any one element, but when you have one color for normal text, a different color for narrative actions (what the speakers are doing), and even more for tides, it starts looking like a mess, especially when you are looking at more than one segment of dialogue at once.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

For some reason I wasn't expecting the video to look as good as it did. Absolutely beautiful, I'm officially hyped!

Now I have to rewatch it 7 more times...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom