Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Q&A with Brother None:

Infinitron: I can't put my finger on how the main character actually looks like
Brother None: The Castoff model is extremely placeholdery
Infinitron: yeah
Brother None: I'd not read anything into it
Infinitron: although for a placeholder he sure does have a fancy cloak
Infinitron: Torment: Cloaks of Numenera
Brother None: Half our budget so far has gone to cloaks

:lol:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oh man I'm covered in goosebumps right now. :kfc:
This game looks to be more of an IE successor than PoE. Goddamnit Obshitian get it together! This looks exactly like Torment without being a blatant copy of Torment. They really nailed it while still managing to keep it fresh. Well played, InXile.

mindreader

Novice
Wow that was pretty damned good. I fucking love the writing, and I love the entire dialogue UI. I don't even dislike the coloring. I'm so glad I backed this. If the rest of the game is even close to this level of awesomeness I will have no regrets whatsoever.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Looks really promising, and the dialogue UI is tits. I hope they do a better job blending the 3D objects into the world though, that platform leading up to the glowing/white portal kinda has the 'scooby doo' effect going on.

Raapys

Arcane
Every single part of what was shown looks fantastic. If the rest of the game ends up with this quality it'll easily devastate any competition.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The visuals lack the raw grit of Planescape: Torment, but it does seem they're going for a more organic rather than rusted steel architecture aesthetic of PS:T's Hive hub. Still, I think the purple filter tinge is overdone.

The background music has a fitting air to it, and UI+color-coded fonts are excellent, I love the way the panels animate upward with subtle gear sounds (0:37) when calling up dialogue mode, and how dialogue gets prominence on-screen. This is exactly how a dialogue-heavy Tomentesque game should present itself. I would prefer more grime and worn textures on the panels, though. Dialogue selections should have a quiet "click" sound to give weight to a selection, and it would be sweet to have similar dialogue sounds similar to PS:T's "regain memory" and "XP yield". I realize many might not like a radial menu system for combat (PS:T's was really clunky), but Temple of Elemental Evil showed how to do this properly.

Character animations are a positive evolution on - in my view - ToEE, I like the inertia of the run anims and how their cloaks move.

Despite my nit-picking, so far Numenera exhibits solid work and is shaping up to be a strong looking title.

Hormalakh

Magister
so, as a non-believer in inXile, and thinking that this game will be shit, after seeing that preview, I'll gladly eat my words. That was great! I'm actually excited enough to make sure I have my shipping address and everything updated.

I dunno...I think this game might beat out PoE in terms of expectations now. Sawyer et al. can theorycraft all they want, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Here's hoping for two great games instead of one.

TheLostOne

Savant
so, as a non-believer in inXile, and thinking that this game will be shit, after seeing that preview, I'll gladly eat my words. That was great! I'm actually excited enough to make sure I have my shipping address and everything updated.

I dunno...I think this game might beat out PoE in terms of expectations now. Sawyer et al. can theorycraft all they want, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Here's hoping for two great games instead of one.

You expressed my thoughts exactly.

I had extreme doubts as to the ability of inXile to capture the essence of Torment, and this trailer really makes it feel like they get it.

I also LOVE the dialog windows, font and colored texts. No idea what that other guy is on about.

I appreciate the out of combat run speed variance by distance traveled, but it looked a little floaty and separated from the environment. Likely to be polished up.

My heart is hopeful again. Great first look, guys.

buzz

Arcane
I agree a bit with the colors that Zeriel mentioned, I think the main bodies of text should keep a consistent color. Here's how PT did it:
planescape-torment-292.jpg

Torment-2011-04-03-12-03-08-08.jpg

It's still colorful as you can see, but the main paragraphs keep only a single tone.

One more nitpicky thing: I think it's better if the description text is just the text itself, without the little box (like in LucasArts games or even PT ). It might cause some issues of its own but I think it obstructs the view of the background less than a box would.

Of course these are minor nitpicks and they don't really matter. What really matters and I think it's the most important advice: tread carefully with the voice acting. Infinitron said there will be voices only for the most important NPCs, but that guy turned into a maw sacrifice pretty quick so not sure how really important he was.
Just in general, less voice acting and more wall-o-texts.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I always had a thing for games with solid sound design. The video oozed in solid sound and OST blending together for a great atmosphere. Be it the ambient sounds, the sound made by the UI, the soundtrack, everything felt like pieces of a puzzle coming together. I have a hard-on.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is looking really good. Drooled a lot after watching that video, still drooling when I remember.

drooling_homer_785344_answer_5_xlarge.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom