Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well, I think you will soon find out. Too soon.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TedNugent Arcane

TedNugent
    :bounce: Can't wait for the Codex review. Vault Dweller please. :dance:

• Excited! Excited! x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ruzen Learned

Ruzen
    In case someone missed It
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    Well, they did put quote-marks around stronghold, so they can say they didnt really mean stronghold :D

^ Top  
  5. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Planescape Torment sold more than Fallout and Fallout 2.

Tides of Numenera selling as much as/more than Pillars was a pipe dream, but less than Wasteland 2? Less than Tyranny which was a) weirder than your average fantasy RPG b) an original, unproven concept c) advertised as being short in length and focused far more on narrative?

Sunday will be Peak Players Day, yes.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. skyst Augur

skyst
    They really need to account for the shit in the kickstarter that didn't wind up in the game. I don't closely follow kickstarter campaigns once I pledge (I just don't care that much) or the development progress of a game, but I find it really surprising that the absence of so many features weren't really talked about afaik until so close to release. The game isn't a failure for lacking them, I'm enjoying the game for what it is and don't consider the purchase a waste, but it's not the game that I expected hoped for. It really makes you wonder what happened to all the time and money that went into making it; it all seems pretty fishy.

I know it gets shit on here, and comes from a different studio, but Tyranny was made really quick and, from what I gather, by the Obsidian b-team for relatively little money. I can't help but assume Tyranny would have been worlds better than TToN if given the same resources.

One interesting aspect of TToN that I haven't seen mentioned much is how the ruleset of Numenera suits this type of game. I have played for about 20 hours so far and faced 2 combats (3 if you count the shit with the sorrow in the intro). That leaves a lot of time exploring the world and, really, in dialogues. There was a thread on here a while back about how to make RPG dialogues more interactive. I like how the ruleset enforces limited resources used up during dialogues or other actions that take place within the dialogue screens (fighting Ryu, for example). This, saddled with the expense of resting at the inn and timed quests has me using consumables and pushing further and further through dialogues and the like without resting as much as possible - as opposed to the same behavior but within combat scenarios. The execution is kind of rough here, but it's a new idea (to me) and something that I could see work in RPGs going forward. Instead of just having 20 charisma and winning every dialogue.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    I also liked the fact that you can make bad choices in dialogues. It makes things more active, increases player's agency, makes you think.

Fixed.

People believing that everyone would buy this game are similar to liberals thinking that everyone would vote in Hilary. You are living in a bubble of like-minded people. Wake up.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    You can score out much more. Beginning from 2 million:
    Did Colin play Planescape Torment and provide commentary in an video?
    What ever did Mitsoda contribute towards T:ToN (not that it was missed) i have seen him nowhere on the meetings pictures.
    Which companion was made by Pat Rothfuss.
    Where is the codex?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Ok you got me there. I had old info. Video was released on 24.2.2017 so yes i missed it, because of a birthday. Thank you for the update.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Ought to be potato hackers, considering Codex demographics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sprout Educated

Sprout
    Turns out that game development is actually really fricking expensive. No really, we're not talking about a small team of indies living on noodles, but a black hole sucking in money instead of space. You think the kickstarter funds are the actual real budget for these games? It's that + then some from other sources. If someone wants to accuse them of incompetence and squandering the budget, that I can understand, but people speculating that the money must've gone somewhere else, since video games can't possibly cost this much leaves me perpetually mystified.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Yes, but while five million is not a fortune for games of this caliber, inXile does seem to have problems dealing with money. In W2, you have repeated portraits and shitty graphics, while in ToN you have good graphics and no portraits. You would have thought that they would have money to pay artists to make some NPC portraits, but apparently not. I also think that everyone is realizing by now that these multiple projects on kickstarter seem as desperate attempt to receive more money. It doesn’t inspire any confidence at all.

^ Top  
  14. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    My theory is that they changed direction after beta feedback. You don't gut the game 3 years into development unless it turns out that whatever you have made just isn't working in practice as good as it seemed on paper. So with the redesign the work got delayed and they had to cut bunch of shit to get it out of the door before 2020. Remember the same thing happened with WL2, Fargo ended up fronting his own money in order to get the game finished. And the guy is loaded, but he's not Bill Gates loaded, so they had to be desperate for resources.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Apexeon Arcane

Apexeon
    Portraits are cheap. You can outsource to Asia and have some awesome ones done.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    There were a few of us that wrote negative steam reviews after the interview cancellation :australia:

• Salute x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    So blow and whores then. M'kay.

^ Top  
  18. taviow Magister

taviow
    As of right now, #13 global top seller... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

• decline decline x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    But gotta give it to the game. It did some things really well.

Take Rhin for example: You carry her with you thinking what an utter waste of space. Only to be rewarded with a God of little things. Which are actually quite big things, it turns out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Post-KS Codex: cares about sales as a marker of quality

I thought the whole point was the unwashed masses don't know a good game if it's smashing their balls with a paraquet

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Just hoping it is punished with bad sales

• Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    That's why I said before that expecting good game from big company is an extreme degree of idiocy.
    Only small, I think 10 people at max, teams can deliever something good.
    Bigger teams burning out money too fast, interaction inside is too slow, bureaucracy increasing etc.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 17
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    As Tolstoy said, All good Steam reviews are alike.

• Funny Funny x 10
    ^ Top  
  25. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    As a marker of SUCCESS. We've gone through decades of liking games that fail financially, we already know that our opinion does not matter.

At this point, new RPG releases are just CYOA sequences. We've watched inXile make their choices, now we are just waiting for the ending slides.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)