Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Malpercio

Arcane
So how is the voice acting?

HzphNGr.jpg

How is his twitter even related to his work as a voice actor? Trying too hard to fit. :M

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just so I understand this, do you argue that the game is a commercial failure to engage in Schadenfreude (then I'm all with you), or do you really believe it unferperforms commercially because of quality issues?

It's a spiritual successor to a cult classic nobody has played, it's text heavy and has rather unremarkable 2D graphics, plus most of its potential customer base already got the game through Kickstarter. What, short of turning this into a full popamole cover shooter, could make is sell substantially more? Better writing, branching storyline, engaging companions? You're dillusional.

Your average steam tards cares nothing about those aspects, instead buying solely based on Marketing and impulse.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Jebus, soon the "LOL, Torment 2 is a failure because it has only sold 900 thousand" comments will arrive. The Codex is truly tull of idiots.
Well TToN can only become a legend like PST if it sells as badly as PST.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Just so I understand this, do you argue that the game is a commercial failure to engage in Schadenfreude (then I'm all with you), or do you really believe it unferperforms commercially because of quality issues?

It's a spiritual successor to a cult classic nobody has played, it's text heavy and has rather unremarkable 2D graphics, plus most of its potential customer base already got the game through Kickstarter. What, short of turning this into a full popamole cover shooter, could make is sell substantially more? Better writing, branching storyline, engaging companions? You're dillusional.

Your average steam tards cares nothing about those aspects, instead buying solely based on Marketing and impulse.

It's too early to say if it's a commercial failure or not. Saying that it's a spiritual successor to cult classic that nobody has played also makes no sense, because a game cannot be a cult classic if noone has played it.

However, if the game fails it is as always a self inflicted injury. The combat system is something non-existent and all NPC's are human. Which is fucking boring and makes the game boring. FFS in PST all the companions were NOT human. I believe good designers are impossible to find these days.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If this game fails commercially, it won't be because of the reasons Codexers didn't like it.
It fails because it's an extremely niche market, and inxile isn't obsidian, with has a solid fan base with certifiable classics on both console and pc.

Obsidian name alone in a product will get people to try it, inxile with chop lifter and wasteland 2 won't.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It doesn't help that it came out just before new console launch and between a LOT of big game releases.
Of course, unlike above mentioned big releases, this is a pc game first & foremost, but these things still detract attention from it.
Yes. Some of the bigger RPG streamers on twitch would even play this but they are all busy playing that Horizon Zero popamole that came out like 2 days before.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand fascination with the numbers here, as they are no indicator the quality of a game. Commercial success can be sometimes translated to quality, but hardly always.

Furthermore, I don't really see why anyone should be happy about potential misfortunes of inXile either, it's doubtful that an AA firm going bankrupt would somehow magically increase the number of quality games produced by other companies, indie or not.

As for the game itself, haven't tested it out yet, but already p happy I went from CE to basic level through refunding after reading the impressions here.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't understand fascination with the numbers here, as they are no indicator the quality of a game. Commercial success can be sometimes translated to quality, but hardly always.

Furthermore, I don't really see why anyone should be gappy about potential misfortunes of inXile either, it's doubtful that a AA firm going bankrupt would somehow magically increase the number of quality games produced by other companies, indie or not.

As for the game itself, haven't tested it out yet, but already p happy I went from CE to basic level through refunding after reading the impressions here.
I think the point is that Inxile will never finish Bard's Tale 4 or WL3 if TToN does not sell well because they depend on sales of previous games. TToN would never be finished if WL2 didn't sell decently.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Furthermore, I don't really see why anyone should be gappy about potential misfortunes of inXile either, it's doubtful that a AA firm going bankrupt would somehow magically increase the number of quality games produced by other companies, indie or not.

I can only speak for myself, but it makes me happy to see Fargo fail miserably after all his lying and underhanded tactics.

It makes me even more happy to see the man, the designer, the writer, the producer, the legend Brother None fail miserably.

I'm just terrible that way.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think the point is that Inxile will never finish Bard's Tale 4 or WL3 if TToN does not sell well because they depend on sales of previous games. TToN would never be finished if WL2 didn't sell decently.
I think that with WL2 sales and now WL3 Fig campaign they have enough money to finish at least WL3. But yes BT4 could be in jeopardy if T:ToN bombs. Also i will say what i said before: BT4 is the most underestimated project and therefore the expectations are low, for this reason it will not get so good reviews, but in the end it will be the most rewarding and successfull project.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

EDlBHKR.png

The interesting part here is the number of KS backers compared to the concurrent players. Not everyone redeems the game on steam etc. but that is still the base all of those games have built upon.

If you have 70k base (plus lengthy early access), out of which only 10% bothers to boot up the game on the launch date, that tells something about the level of their "eager anticipation".

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you have 70k base (plus lengthy early access), out of which only 10% bothers to boot up the game on the launch date, that tells something about the level of their "eager anticipation".
Delayed too much which reduced the enthusiasm, and the release window is really bad as is full of high profile releases, with just Horizon coming the same day and Zelda and the Nintendo Switch launching tomorrow.

If they thought they were not competing with those games they were sorely mistaken. Every game competes with the high profile releases due to their broad appeal, no matter the plataform.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
It makes me even more happy to see the man, the designer, the writer, the producer, the legend Brother None fail miserably.

Why? Because he made it, while you didn't?

Schadenfreude, because it's delicious, especially when it's someone as obnoxious wanker as Zyklon Beekers. As we say in Finland, "Best enjoyment is from the misfortunte of others".

:positive:
Yeah I also liked when NOKIA tanked taking your employments, innovation and living standards with it. Man was that a happy day for all the world. But don't despair you have angry birds now. :mixedemotions:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jebus, soon the "LOL, Torment 2 is a failure because it has only sold 900 thousand" comments will arrive. The Codex is truly tull of idiots.

Are you saying that a text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands? Who would have thought? This number stil puts it into the Top 70 played games on Steam today, which has juggernauts like CSGO DOtA, GTA, Rocket League etc.

Why are you so defensive about this?
We are talking about launch day numbers. A game -which is easily top 10 material pc game- is finally getting a sequel, backed by +75K people, raised more than 4.2M.
Remember these numbers! This looks like a successful campaign.

Now, here are the launch numbers.
Steam:
Highest number of 7.4K people peaked in the launch days. 6K people in last 24 hours which mean It's falling. Received %78 Positive rating by only 318 people who bothered to write a review. Be mind that in last two weeks 7.5K people played Pillars.
GoG: Only 97 people bothered writing a review with 4 stars. If I remember correctly Planescape: Torment is the highest selling game in GoG!

It is clear that something is horribly wrong. I personally blame the combat being not fun. Do you have any real thoughts about this or are you keep going to comment from 2007 and say:" text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands " or compare RPG's with e-sports?
What real thoughts do you want?

Should I tell you that you are putting so much emphasis on the Steam ratings, even though Valve changed the rating system months ago? So all the people who got the game through kickstarter are not displayed in the main review number. The 318 person you are saying is actually 587 in one and a half day, and from that 463 is positive. Also only a miniscule part of the players write Steam reviews, look at any of your favourite (niche) games, they get a few thousand reviews in their entire lifetime! So you are simply disregarding that more than 3/4 of the people gave a positive review. And even some of the negatives are bullshit. Many of them are complaining about things like:
- the PR of inexile
- the TB combat is different from other games's system
- the character modells looking bad
- cut content
- selling out to console
- game being turn based

These are BULLSHIT and even though some of them are true, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Does everybody like the game? Hell no. Is it perfect? No! But more than 75% does and this shows that it is a quality game. Or if you think that a game can only be good if 90% of the casual idiots give it a high rating, than you are just like the mainstream journalists who think that games under 85% rating are shit.

Just like when the first reviews came in, people disregarded all the good reviews and found that one article which tore the game down and held it high saying: "see, we have told you this is shit, here is the proof!" People like these are such a fucking idiots. They are going in hoping that game being shit, specifically rooting for the game and the company to fail. And when the game turns out not being shit, they are grasping at straws, finding those few negative reviews which they can use to validate their arguments. The most scummy, pathetic people in the truest sense of the word.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Saying that it's a spiritual successor to cult classic that nobody has played also makes no sense, because a game cannot be a cult classic if noone has played it.
Oh, you of little faith. Why would becoming a cult classic have anything to do with actually playing the game? It's completely sufficient that enough game journos and bloggers repeat the mantra in order to establish that they are sophisticated gamers. Only the one or two people who started the trend should have played the game. However, even that isn't necessary.

I should go and find this book I have that deals with how to talk about famous books you never read to make you look good in conversations.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thank you, that's what I meant. These days everyone and their dog hails Planetscape Tournament as a cult classic, but it's mostly hipsters and incompentent journos who are talking out of their ass without having played the game.
I imagine that most people who genuinely love PS:T have contributed to the Kickstarter, with the playerbase being very limited outside of that.

DOS has a much broader appeal for obvious reasons (quirky colourful graphics, co-op mode etc.), so does Pillars (Biodrones etc).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't really see why anyone should be happy about potential misfortunes of inXile either.

:philosoraptor:

BT4 is the most underestimated project and therefore the expectations are low, for this reason it will not get so good reviews, but in the end it will be the most rewarding and successfull project.

It will be a popamole game. Some of the codexers will hate and others will love because they like TW3.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane

EDlBHKR.png

The interesting part here is the number of KS backers compared to the concurrent players. Not everyone redeems the game on steam etc. but that is still the base all of those games have built upon.

To be honest, this is shit month to launch a minor indie game. There are like, four AAA games in the same week, a new console and like 10 RPG coming out in these two months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom