Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
To be honest, this is shit month to launch a minor indie game.

So now one of the most sucessful kickstarter games in history made by a veteran developer is a minor indie game? LOL. Minor indie game is "Serpents in the Staglands", "Underrail", etc. The pains you go through to sugar coat the failure of a dishonest developer.

Last edited:

Ruzen

Savant
Jebus, soon the "LOL, Torment 2 is a failure because it has only sold 900 thousand" comments will arrive. The Codex is truly tull of idiots.

Are you saying that a text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands? Who would have thought? This number stil puts it into the Top 70 played games on Steam today, which has juggernauts like CSGO DOtA, GTA, Rocket League etc.

Why are you so defensive about this?
We are talking about launch day numbers. A game -which is easily top 10 material pc game- is finally getting a sequel, backed by +75K people, raised more than 4.2M.
Remember these numbers! This looks like a successful campaign.

Now, here are the launch numbers.
Steam:
Highest number of 7.4K people peaked in the launch days. 6K people in last 24 hours which mean It's falling. Received %78 Positive rating by only 318 people who bothered to write a review. Be mind that in last two weeks 7.5K people played Pillars.
GoG: Only 97 people bothered writing a review with 4 stars. If I remember correctly Planescape: Torment is the highest selling game in GoG!

It is clear that something is horribly wrong. I personally blame the combat being not fun. Do you have any real thoughts about this or are you keep going to comment from 2007 and say:" text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands " or compare RPG's with e-sports?
What real thoughts do you want?

Should I tell you that you are putting so much emphasis on the Steam ratings, even though Valve changed the rating system months ago? So all the people who got the game through kickstarter are not displayed in the main review number. The 318 person you are saying is actually 587 in one and a half day, and from that 463 is positive. Also only a miniscule part of the players write Steam reviews, look at any of your favourite (niche) games, they get a few thousand reveiws in their entire lifetime! So you are simply disregarding that more than 3/4 of the people gave a positive review. And even some of the negatives are bullshit. Many of them are complaining about things like:
- the PR of inexile
- the TB combat is different from other games's system
- the character modells looking bad
- cut content
- selling out to console
- game being turn based

These are BULLSHIT and even though some of them are true, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Does everybody like the game? Hell no. Is it perfect. No! But more than 75% does and this shows that it is a quality game. Or if you think that a game can only be good if 90% of the casual idiots give it a high rating, than you are just like the mainstream journalists who think that games under 85% rating are shit.

Just like when the first reviews came in, people disregarded all the good reviews and found that one article which tore the game down and held it high saying: "see, we have told you this is shit, here is the proof!" People like these are such a fucking idiots. They are going in hoping that game being shit, specifically rooting for the game and the company to fail. And when the game turns out not being shit, they are grasping at straws, finding those few negative reviews which they can use to validate their arguments. The most scummy, pathetic people in the truest sense of the word.
No need to be paranoid about people want someone to fail. This is not LOL vs DOTA thing. It's not fanatic desires, after all, we are discussing an entertainment product. Also, why would you ignore the "idiots" you described. The casual audience makes or breaks the game so It is the developers and producers responsible for making the game presentable. It is not an art form! But It is not a surprise that from the start of the turn base or real time voting controversy, things are not going great. The actions dev team took is not favorable by the half of the community, but now we see the end result is not good as It should be: people just lost the interest from It. As someone said in previous posts, these numbers show the enthusiasm level of players who wish to play. Of course, the numbers will rise at some point with major patches but launch day numbers are too important for any game success.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But don't despair you have angry birds now.

I have Battle Brothers, Underrail's expansion, and I can wait for the colony ship game, two games that are being made by Whalenought Studios, etc. Don't you worry. The end of InXile will not be the apocalypse of cRPGs. It will be just the end of sucking Fargo's dick for some people here.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
But don't despair you have angry birds now.

I have Battle Brothers, Underrail's expansion, and I can wait for the colony ship game, two games that are being made by Whalenought Studios, etc. Don't you worry. The end of InXile will not be the apocalypse of cRPGs. It will be just the end of sucking Fargo's dick for some people here.
You notice the pronounced "I" in your statement. So, yeah, that's the point. Less=/=more.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The actions dev team took is not favorable by the half of the community.

What I find baffling is how much they isolated themselves from feedback. The game has some glaring problems that could be easily fixed. The intro should be removed entirely. Anything, even the lack of tutorials, would hurt the game less than that. In addition, whoever had the brilliant idea of loading in a close camera? These things are jarring. It’s surprising that they were so eager to please the popamole crowd, but didn’t thought about first impressions.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I need to start help eryfkrad foundation.
If you wan't to help poor "eryfkrad" Call 1-555-HELP-ERYFKRAD.
If you wan't him to die Call 1-555-DIE-ERYFKRAD.
And if you think ERYFKRAD should just sort of drift away into irrelevance, don't do anything, he's already there.

It doesn't help that it came out just before new console launch and between a LOT of big game releases.
Of course, unlike above mentioned big releases, this is a pc game first & foremost, but these things still detract attention from it.
Yes. Some of the bigger RPG streamers on twitch would even play this but they are all busy playing that Horizon Zero popamole that came out like 2 days before.
Not to forget about this one baby:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild?ref=hp

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
It makes me even more happy to see the man, the designer, the writer, the producer, the legend Brother None fail miserably.

Why? Because he made it, while you didn't?

Schadenfreude, because it's delicious, especially when it's someone as obnoxious wanker as Zyklon Beekers. As we say in Finland, "Best enjoyment is from the misfortunte of others".

:positive:
Yeah I also liked when NOKIA tanked taking your employments, innovation and living standards with it. Man was that a happy day for all the world. But don't despair you have angry birds now. :mixedemotions:

Nokia fucked up things on their own, they got what they deserved, also the failure of Nokia should've taught Finland not to rely on one big fish to feed us. Besides, our living standards didn't really suffer from Nokia's fall, they were going down the shitter and become less and less important over time.

Malpercio

Arcane
To be honest, this is shit month to launch a minor indie game.

So now one of the most sucessful kickstarter games in history made by a veteran developer is a minor indie game? LOL. Minor indie game is "Serpents in the Staglands", "Underrail", etc. The pains you go through to sugar coat the failure of a dishonest developer.

Alright, "minor indie" game is wrong, but it doesn't change what I said. It still a kickstarter game for a turn based cRPG getting launched in the middle of bazillion popular games/series. That will affect sales and people interest.

And quite honestly, I have no interest in defending Inxille as I 1) Wasn't a backer 2) Literally paid no attention to the marketing/drama.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Nokia fucked up things on their own, they got what they deserved, also the failure of Nokia should've taught Finland not to rely on one big fish to feed us. Besides, our living standards didn't really suffer from Nokia's fall, they were going down the shitter and become less and less important over time.
index.php
(technically he didn't fist, but I am sure he wanted to)

So many contradictions, so little time. Butthurt is strong here. Its not so fun being on the receiving end, is it? But don't worry, someone still likes you.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Nokia fucked up things on their own, they got what they deserved

Companies that don't adapt, die. News at 11.

Alright, "minor indie" game is wrong, but it doesn't change what I said. It still a kickstarter game for a turn based cRPG getting launched in the middle of bazillion popular games/series. That will affect sales and people interest.

Which shows that Fargo has no business sense. Even an indie newbie wouldn't make that mistake.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Not in a position yet to judge the overall story, or whether it will have the same weight as PS:T
It won't for same reasons Fallout 2 was more popular than Fallout - it has more content.
Also disagree about P:T combat - while it was weaker than in BG, still not weak enough to callit terrible or something like that.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
index.php

So many contradictions, so little time. Butthurt is strong here. Its not so fun being on the receiving end, is it? But don't worry, someone still likes you.
'They' obviously refers to Nokia, that became less and less imporant over time, not to living standards.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
index.php

'They' obviously refers to Nokia, that became less and less imporant over time, not to living standards.
I know that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jebus, soon the "LOL, Torment 2 is a failure because it has only sold 900 thousand" comments will arrive. The Codex is truly tull of idiots.

It's not looking good. At the moment, it's looking quite bad. It'll likely outsell Underrail soon, but y'know, low bar, definitely not performing up to Fargo's expectations. Something's terribly wrong when even slamdrunk gaudy trash like Tyranny outperformed a freaking spiritual successor to revered Torment.

I personally blame the combat being not fun.

When there's only 12 fights, many of them skippable, the quality of combat isn't much of an issue.

Furthermore, I don't really see why anyone should be happy about potential misfortunes of inXile either, it's doubtful that an AA firm going bankrupt would somehow magically increase the number of quality games produced by other companies, indie or not.

inXile declared us their enemies, why should they not be ours?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
outperformed a freaking spiritual successor to revered Torment.

I kinda wonder how many people really know what Planescape Torment is. Really, Baldur's Gate is widely known even to those who are not hardcore cRPG fans, but PST is a cult classic for a reason, it has a smaller audience and it wasn't as successful as BG. And if we assume that the biggest fans already backed it during the KS, you may have your reason why isn't this more successful.

Furthermore, I don't really see why anyone should be happy about potential misfortunes of inXile either, it's doubtful that an AA firm going bankrupt would somehow magically increase the number of quality games produced by other companies, indie or not.

inXile declared us their enemies, why should they not be ours?
When did this happen? All I remember is that the Codex got butthurt, but Inxile never considered the codex their enemies.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
outperformed a freaking spiritual successor to revered Torment.

I kinda wonder how many people really know what Planescape Torment is. Really, Baldur's Gate is widely known even to those who are not hardcore cRPG fans, but PST is a cult classic for a reason, it has a smaller audience and it wasn't as successful as BG. And if we assume that the biggest fans already backed it during the KS, you may have your reason why isn't this more successful.
Isn't Planescape Torment the most sold game on GOG?

In this day and age most gaming enthusiasts know about "Planetscape Tournament". Maybe by reputation only, but they know of it. Again, it was until just the past week the most successful kickstarter for an RPG, this had the potential to be around Pillars numbers.

The release window chosen has been just the worst possible for a game like this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
When there's only 12 fights, many of them skippable, the quality of combat isn't much of an issue.

Except it is. When they had so few fights in the whole game, they could have gone ridonk wild with them, but that is not true at all.

When playing the EA, I was in 5 fights total, skipped 2 more. Of these, only 1 was above average, and that was the obvious showcase crisis right at the start of the game after you meet Ali and Cali (obviously not the tutorial fight, I'm not even counting it).

But after that... three of these were free-for-all skirmishes without anything else to them (mafiosos at the thingamajig device whose name I already forgot; a bunch of mobs of identical red bots; some interdimensional shamblers appearing in the mirror chamber) and one wasn't even a fight, but a ridiculously broken, clumsy and annoying "stealth" section (sticha egg robbery). The two fights I skipped were against Tybir's angry ex-friend and the giant cocks before the red bot ville, and I have great doubts that these would be anything other than free-for-alls as well.

If you put combat encounters so insanely half-arsed into your game while touting that you have only a handful of "very very unique fights called crises!!!!!" it just reeks of incompetence and/or disingenuousness. So yes, I would say this is very much much of an issue.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

In this day and age most gaming enthusiasts know about "Planetscape Tournament". Maybe by reputation only, but they know of it. Again, it was until just the past week the most successful kickstarter for an RPG, this had the potential to be around Pillars numbers.

The release window chosen has been just the worst possible for a game like this.

GOG is like a drop in the ocean compared to steam.

They don’t know PS:T. They talked as if they do know, for the same reason they praise walls of text they don’t read. To look smart.

All of sudden I realized that this talk about release window is a bit silly. The target audience is not console users, even though Fargo was foolish enough to think that way.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

GOG is like a drop in the ocean compared to steam.

They don’t know PS:T. They talked as if they do know, for the same reason they praise walls of text they don’t read. To look smart.

I sudden realized that this talk about release window is a bit silly. The target audience is not console users, even though Fargo was foolish enough to think that way.

The target audience is not the mainstream, but it's not exclusive to RPGs aficionados. There's a significant number of people interested in a game like this in more mainstream forums that will postpone its puchase because of all the high profile releases.

And GOG is indeed a very small market compared to steam, but Torment still sits at the top of it, that still tells us something about the interest the game draws.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The target audience is not the mainstream, but it's not exclusive to RPGs aficionados. There's a significant number of people interested in a game like this in more mainstream forums that will postpone its puchase because of all the high profile releases.

You are deluded. The target audience are storyfags, which is the niche of a niche market. Maybe because there are so many of them in the Codex you didn't notice this. Of course, the game will seel more as time passes, but it failed miserably because release is everything. Even codexers who were cheering against InXile wouldn't dream that it would flop that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom