Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Florian Gheorghe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Who is hating Planescape?

I have long loved Beavis & Butt-Head Do America. Stupid isn't always bad. This whole thread began by noting that the problem with Numenera (and TTON) was the lack of the goofy/stupid quality of Planescape, and its replacement with overwrought seriousness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mr. Hiver Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mr. Hiver
    Thats even worse then i thought.
    Until now i considered it a giant failure because of trying to force every thing and everything and EVERYTHING (and magic and science and sci fi and fanatasy and - ad infinitum) into its content which only results in incoherent mess, but insisting nothing can be connected to well known terms, concepts and ideas is actually intentionally insisting on everything being incoherent and divested from anything familiar and logically connected.

Its the dumb paradox of postmodernism, if nothing is considered a base foundation that is true, then nothing - including that very idea is true.

Its not the stupid that was the glue that held it all together but concepts that were specific and known, recognizable and already established as specific ideas.

Besides, the quality of PST came from not blindly adhering to the setting but instead abusing it and subverting it for its own purposes - to talk about even more fundamental and basically true issues and questions.
    PST story was an archetypal myth of Joseph Campbell and Tolkien kind - in its own original form and twist - and that resonates with every human.
    It did its own thing with a lot of tongue in cheek aimed at the whole DnD and Planescape setting base stupidity.
    Brothel of intellectual lusts being just one more obvious example.

The fact we never even saw Mount Celestia and the case of the fallen Deva seem to point out how stupid that part of the setting was. As well as basing the game inside Sigil - where Gods cannot enter.
    It was something to rebel against.

And its gameplay was constructed in a way that supports that archetypal hero myth foundation - by making the player work for it.
    On top of that it provided additional considerations about higher concepts as questions about belief and human - one own nature. But those were based on the foundations they arose of and connected back to them.
    In other words it had woven a meaningful interconnected structure.

In which some silliness - which was also based around familiar and real concepts - was welcome.
    It wasnt dour and oppressing. If anything it figured out how to occasionally use comedy to talk about more serious issues - which is art in itself.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Efe Learned

Efe
    MRY would you put this game on your resume?

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Of course. That said, I don't have a resume with game names on it -- my real job is as a lawyer, and I don't apply for game jobs any more; I just work on my own and help folks out when they ask. But I do have the box reasonably prominently displayed in my office at work, behind a statue a fan made of Horatio Nullbuilt and my signed box of Kohan II.

Frankly, of games I worked on, it is much more prestigious than Kohan II: Kings of War, Heroes of Newerth, etc. I'm proud of my work on TTON, and, while I can't judge the game for a variety of reasons (even if I had played it, I'd be too biased), I'm proud of having worked alongside Kevin, Colin, George, and the rest of the gang. I think they all are passionate about making great RPGs, poured a lot of effort into the game, etc. Also, ultimately, this is a game where many people have had favorable reactions to it (to judge from Steam reviews). I take an additive view of these things -- for all people may have been disappointed with TTON, I don't think it made their lives worse,[*] and for those who liked it, I think it made their lives better. TO the extent I've criticized the game, it's only because I found aspects frustrating/challenging for myself and because I'm trying to understand how a game with so much effort by such great people behind it could disappoint a lot of players.

Ultimately, I can't imagine it's the best RPG that Kevin and George have made (given that they made MOTB, one of my all-time favorites) or the best that Colin and Chris made (given that they made PS:T, my absolute favorite), but it could well be the best RPG I ever do significant writing on. Who knows how bad Fallen Gods will be (if it even qualifies as an RPG), and I doubt I'll do another RPG after that one. If anything, they should be embarrassed about being associated with me, not vice versa.

[EDIT: * Let me caveat that, actually. Some people gave quite a bit of money to fund the game's development on Kickstarter. To the extent they didn't get what they wanted/expected, their lives probably were made worse. One reason I don't like Kickstarter from the developer side -- I've done a lot of backing from the consumer side -- is that it creates moral dangers like that. I don't really know enough who would be "to blame," as it were, for such disappointment, but on some level everyone is. Just as I try to apologize to everyone who buys Primordia and doesn't like it, I would apologize for whatever responsibility I had on TTON for those who backed it and didn't get what they wanted.]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    ohhh i understand what you mean now and i agree too, thank you!

In fact i think Planescape can reminds of Rift where there are vampires, along with aliens, japanese style mega robot, horsemen of the apocalypse, atlantis and so on

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    ^ Top  
  6. Mr. Hiver Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mr. Hiver
    Speaking of people who were hurt, anyone knows what happened with Monty after that thread and those events?

Did he managed to get better after all?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    I don't have any strong opinions on this debate, but it's very clear to me that a setting with Hollyphants is superior to a setting without them. Maybe that's where Numenera went wrong.

• Prestigious x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    Monty's fine, he just usually posts with his mfkndggrfll account these days

• Funny Funny x 5
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    And there it is:

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    lolwut

the Numanuma setting is way more retarded and goofy than Planescape ever was.

1 gazillion trillion boobillion years into the future… mankind no longer treads on dirt… but on drit

Numanuma's sloppy writing can only ever get a pass because of how silly the setting is to begin with.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    That's a very small part of everything, though. I wouldn't call it the problem. But it's certainly there.
    No. Planescape is a setting which has depth and a serious nature, but it does not take itself seriously. Numenera, on the other hand, is a completely retarded setting with no consistency whatsoever, but that still insists on taking itself seriously.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    Do retards taking themselves seriously seem retarded and goofy?

:philosoraptor:

My point was that the ridiculous timeframe/ chronologies in Numanuma, among other things, make it way more fucked up than "some place between the Planes". You add the numenera to that and the whole thing is so over the top silly it never actually occured to me it could be taking itself very seriously.

^ Top  
  14. Ulukai Literate

Ulukai
    I loved the Lore and the writing of Tides Of Numenera despite its objective flaws. I wonder where the creators borrowed the Bloom concept

This reminded me of a Heinlein novel where a spaceship drifts endlessly or the Italian comics Druuna where the biomechanical architecture of spaceship endowed with a conscience is constantly changing.

Is this giant creature that crosses dimensions is originally from the books of Monte Cook?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Rare question on George Ziets Tumblr:

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  16. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    "Disconnect between remote leads and onsite team. (...) I think things would have worked better if the leads - esp. the primary visionaries - were onsite with the team."

Pretty much what Monty also said.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mikeal Savant

Mikeal
    After all this years I still don't know one thing. Why George Ziets looks like Basshunter?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bohr Arcane

Bohr

A bit of a lulzy twosome, just hope it doesn't hurt Goat Simulator's prospects

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Funny x 19
    • sheeple x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Goat and GOAT, obviously.

• Funny x 12
    • Creative x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    What about Torment, though?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    MRY if Larian gets the licence for Planescape 2, would you consider to join as writer?

• incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    No.

• Funny x 4
    • When words are not enough x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Smart man.

^ Top  
  24. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Planescape inspires you to make Primordia, but you wouldn't want to write for an actual Planescape game...

:|

^ Top  
  25. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    (1) Planescape: Torment was a major inspiration for Primordia. The Planescape setting was not.
    (2) On TTON, the team I joined included all of the PS:T writers (albeit with Avellone in a very reduced role, it turned out) and the lead designer and creative lead from MOTB. To sit alongside them (albeit only a couple of times, since almost all of my work was remote) was a great privilege and learning experience. But the consensus is that TTON is not PS:T or MOTB. Why would I expect the result with Larian to be closer to PS:T?
    (3) As I've said many times before, I don't want to repeat the experience of pouring all of my writing time into a project for 14 months only to have my contribution to the game be an effectively irrelevant/invisible <5% of its writing. Nor do I want to work as an implementer of other people's themes and concepts. For me to overcome those aversions would require something really special. For instance, if Paul and Fred asked me to work on their Star Control game (never gonna happen), I would have a hard time saying no, both because that kind of game is still on my bucket list and because I owe so many happy childhood moments to them. If Moriarty asked me to work on a Loom sequel, or if I had the chance to work on a Sacrifice or Legacy of Kain game, that might also be appealing. But the Torment / branching-dialogue-RPG itch has been scratched.
    (4) I need to spend what game-writing time I have on Fallen Gods and Strangeland. (The money is now entirely irrelevant. My total pay for 14 months on TTON comes out to something like three days' salary at my current job. But the same job that gives me more money takes more of my time; so even as time is scarcer and more valuable, compensation is abundant and less valuable.)
    (5) If I had enough game-writing time that I could work on the project without it cutting into other things, I would instead use that time providing additional help to VD on CSG.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)