Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Florian Gheorghe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    MRY if Larian gets the licence for Planescape 2, would you consider to join as writer?

• incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    No.

• Funny x 4
    • decline x 3
    • When words are not enough x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Smart man.

^ Top  
  4. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Planescape inspires you to make Primordia, but you wouldn't want to write for an actual Planescape game...

:|

^ Top  
  5. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    (1) Planescape: Torment was a major inspiration for Primordia. The Planescape setting was not.
    (2) On TTON, the team I joined included all of the PS:T writers (albeit with Avellone in a very reduced role, it turned out) and the lead designer and creative lead from MOTB. To sit alongside them (albeit only a couple of times, since almost all of my work was remote) was a great privilege and learning experience. But the consensus is that TTON is not PS:T or MOTB. Why would I expect the result with Larian to be closer to PS:T?
    (3) As I've said many times before, I don't want to repeat the experience of pouring all of my writing time into a project for 14 months only to have my contribution to the game be an effectively irrelevant/invisible <5% of its writing. Nor do I want to work as an implementer of other people's themes and concepts. For me to overcome those aversions would require something really special. For instance, if Paul and Fred asked me to work on their Star Control game (never gonna happen), I would have a hard time saying no, both because that kind of game is still on my bucket list and because I owe so many happy childhood moments to them. If Moriarty asked me to work on a Loom sequel, or if I had the chance to work on a Sacrifice or Legacy of Kain game, that might also be appealing. But the Torment / branching-dialogue-RPG itch has been scratched.
    (4) I need to spend what game-writing time I have on Fallen Gods and Strangeland. (The money is now entirely irrelevant. My total pay for 14 months on TTON comes out to something like three days' salary at my current job. But the same job that gives me more money takes more of my time; so even as time is scarcer and more valuable, compensation is abundant and less valuable.)
    (5) If I had enough game-writing time that I could work on the project without it cutting into other things, I would instead use that time providing additional help to VD on CSG.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I wish you all the best in your upcoming endeavours.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I didn't consider TTON a particularly "bad" game, it was just an uninteresting one.

It had all the right makings all the way up to the setting (that was particularly full of potential), but there was too little gameplay there. I don't mean just combat, combat is not an issue, I mean that there was too little interactivity for a so heavily text based game to become actually interesting. Say what you want about the thrashmobs of PST, but they did give a break from all the reading.

I think this whole project was developed through a misunderstanding of what made the original fun, there was not enough analytical eye put on it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    No shit. Let's not forget Fargo tweeting every other week the current amount of words they reached. WE NOW HAVE OVER 10 BILLION WORDS! THAT"S MORE THAN THE BIBLE!

Can one be surprised there's no editing on this game? Editing often means removing words, that just goes against what PST was, no????

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    That's true otherwise, but the number of words isn't accountable of anything. That's just a number. At least not in my book. The whole design was jeopardized over the misconception of the source materials fundom, which sounds especially weird considering the poeple that made it were working on this one too.

^ Top  
  10. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    That would be awesome.

• Friendly x 7
    • incline x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. BING XI LAO Magister

BING XI LAO
    Both of the writing-heavy games in my sig, long odds or just :obviously: taste? Have you something in mind you'd theoretically write for a Sacrifice sequel's plot?

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I just loved their melodrama. No particular ideas.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    I was pissed off when The Sorrow showed up during the first castoff fight. Was looking forward to that one but, no the big metaphysical hamfist has to show up instead. Can’t imagine anyone thought “What? Oh cool, The Sorrow!” When that happened...

^ Top  
  14. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    I never looked at the way things were written to happen. The story goes where it goes. It happens, in RPG's. All the time. My general complaint was and is, that the game was not very interesting to play inspite what the setting provided. There was lots of text, but not much of meaningful interactivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    It's what you got when you let an accountant in charge.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Why are you the way that you are?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    No doubt it's yet another boredom-induced sock puppet gimmick account. Setting one's location to Rhodesia is already verging on gimmick territory.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    We live in a world where people were so butt hurt about the Mercator and other maps making Greenland larger than Africa they made another map that deliberately stretched Africa out to make it larger missing the point that accuracy is what's important in a map and Greenland isn't as as important as Africa, so who gives a damn is it's distorted as fuck especially to Africa's benefit?

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. BING XI LAO Magister

BING XI LAO
    My dad fought in the Bush War

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Moth Learned

Moth
    In the wake of a very unfortunate series of events that involved me breaking up with my girlfriend in the last 48 hours, I considered many drastic measures. Alcoholism, self-harm, wasting my life in Mount and Blade: Warband, becoming a monk, etc.

Ultimately I decided the most masochistic option available was the appropriate response.

Thank you, InXile games, for helping me suffer.

• Funny x 8
    • Friendly x 3
    • honk honk! x 3
    • Cheers!! x 2
    • Deus Vult x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Moth Learned

Moth
    On a second (or is this my third?) playthrough, I have to admit that the identity of the Specter is one of the better plot twists and plot devices in recent RPG history. It's not like next-level brilliance but it isn't too shabby either.

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • :M x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just a few more playthroughs to go and you will start considering the game a masterpice. I call this "The Pillars Syndrome".

• Funny x 11
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I call it Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe with a little bit of sunk cost fallacy sprinkled in.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Depends on how much you paid for it and maturity level, I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. skaraher Arbiter

skaraher
    The Specter reveal and confrontation sure was underwhelming, you have better build up and payoff confronting the Bloom. Also the last showdown with the First is beyond retarted. She's built up as this heinous figure that will try to destroy you at all cost... and just fold over and do whatever you want without much convincing. Tho it describes any antagonists in this game tbh. Except the Bloom. Gaining its trust during the last chapter and unleashing it against the Sorrow at the end was a cool concept, shame the game around it fails on so many levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)