Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You know some people are taking Codex mentality too far when they're visibly angry that reviews are not shit.
:positive:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ragequit review :salute:

Low score reviews are usually a much better way to gauge quality, if they justify their position well.

Doma

Augur
No preload is not a big deal. Unless you live in 1999-land or something.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok, my opinion of the game:

I really enjoyed it. The game in my opinion is very strong when you're just exploring the city and talking to people and solving quests. I enjoyed the side stories a lot.

Pacing is better than Planescape, doesn't shit the bed hard in the third act.

Crisis are good for breaking up the pace. They're very barebones and simplistic (and the mechanics themselves are... eh), though, so don't expect much else. It's adequate.

I really liked the visuals. I have seen a lot of criticism to it during the beta and I don't know what people is refering to. I think it looks great.

Well, enough with the positives, we're cynical motherfuckers so let's get on with the stuff that shit the bed for me:

The main storyline is surprisingly poor IMO. Those bastards who said that the game lacked a sense of mystery and gives you too much information at the beginning were right on the money, not just for the intro but for the entire game. It also lacks pivotal moments similar to the conversation with Ravel or Myrkul, even if it tries to have them, they miss the mark completely, in part because the major characters are very weak and in part because the themes of the game seem rather... kinda simplistic and not all that well developed. (also the "what does one life matter?" moment is definetly mirroing the "what can change the nature of a man?" from Planescape. I don't know why they said it wouldn't be the same, it kinda is, just lacking any sort of punch).

The antagonist and the final revelations are bad and slightly soured me on the game. I was enjoying it a lot, kinda thinking that the story would somewhat surprise me in the end, but the end was really predictable, with weak motivations for the characters, and it just left me a sense of "that's what all build up to?".

Companions are middling. Not great, not awful. Rhin is the exception. I don't think I would call her great but I will remember her distinctly. I also have no idea what was in Avellone's mind with Errits. Again, it's not awful, it's just... Avellone needs to stay with the depressing, crazy and reflexive characters. Happy go lucky with an edge/tragedy are not his forte.

Reactivity doesn't seem all that impressive. It's quite linear with obvious dialogue chokepoints (the story has to go in one direction) until the very end. I would obviously need more than one playthrough to be absolutely sure.

5 millions from crowdfunding and the fucking intro of Pillars of Eternity has more voice acting than the entirety of Torment. Only the companions have voices, and only the first dialogue box of their major dialogues are voiced. This is probably the most damning evidence of development hell.

There's no stronghold. I believe that they said it was The Calm, but that's not a stronghold in any sense of the word. Also, I might have missed some fathoms, but the labyrinth is definetly not what should have been. Most of it is tied to the main storyline even if in an optional manner.

The Oasis is just one small area in a fathom of the Labyrinth, so you don't go there directly, but you visit a memory of it.

Factions are obviously out, but cults, despite several (most? I don't know what was promised here) being in the game, I think you only can join the Children of the Changing God. I might have missed something, though.

Also, I don't know what they're thinking with certain marketing stuff (spoilers for past the mid point of the game):
The cover of the game has the first castoff front and center, but the first castoff is dead in the game so I don't understand.... Oh my god! The first castoff is ALIVE! What a twist

In conclusion, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but I don't really know how to feel about it to be honest, despite having reviewed it. Seems like either I'll be changing opinions constantly, both in a positive and negative way, or the more cool level headed I get (playing like 38 hours in 3 days is not good, guys) the more dissapointed I will get. I don't really know.

My prediction for the codex reception is that of a toned down Pillars of Eternity debacle (nothing will ever top that again), but with a lousier reception than the more mixed and very controversial matter that is Pillars. In short, a lot of butthurt and dissapointment.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, I think quite a few members would lose all their sense of identity if some honest to God incline ever happens.

"...what do you mean a good game came out? What am I supposed to do with myself?"
I'm pretty sure every member of the Codex has a recent RPG that he considers incline, be it AoD, Underrail, The Witcher 3, PoE, Divinity:OS, SitS, or some other indie.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
despite having reviewed it

Is this post your review?

No, my review is in spanish, and I'm not going to translate it. I gave it an 8.3. As I said, enjoyed it a lot, but kinda diminishing enthusiam since I finished. I was considering higher ratings for much of my playthrough, but every time of self reflection made me doubt that I wanted to rated it that high. (I don't give much credit to scores though, I just try to not break what I think is the scale of the magazine to avoid confusion) This is just my raw opinion on the game without much of a filter. As I said, don't really know what to make of it, I enjoyed it a lot, I was also dissapointed, kinda a lot as well.

No, my review is in spanish, and I'm not going to translate it. I gave it an 8.3. As I said, enjoyed it a lot, but kinda diminishing enthusiam since I finished. I was considering higher ratings for much of my playthrough, but every time of self reflection made me doubt that I wanted to rated it that high. (I don't give much credit to scores though, I just try to not break what I think is the scale of the magazine to avoid confusion) This is just my raw opinion on the game without much of a filter. As I said, don't really know what to make of it, I enjoyed it a lot, I was also dissapointed, kinda a lot as well.
Did you like it more than Pillars or less?

Give your bros strong and weak points of the game.:salute:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron

I liked it less, but I fucking love Pillars so I don't think my opinion on the matter will be of much use to most.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LOL, Torment's site is currently broken, and you can't access https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private :lol: Users can't log in to see their fucking keys!

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /var/www/torment.inxile-entertainment.com/include/lib/dispatchers/page.class.php on line 150

Actually, if you go directly to https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private/rewards this section will open though with messed up styles, and you can log in.

Last edited:

I liked it less, but I fucking love Pillars so I don't think my opinion on the matter will be of much use to most.
As my feelings towards Pillars are the same as yours, to me it's important, so thank you :love:

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, maybe I am wrong but from what I have read for now, looks like there is no orchestrated music because wtf, or maybe it didn't fit in the game because they wanted to focus on quality and not quantity.

Numenera scissors edition.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
3) Fucking inXile completely incapable of good looking UI and now it's consolified until you have a 2003 B-grade adventure platformer on the Playstation style oozing through every part.

UI UI UI *tears his hair out* UI UI UI *starts crying* UI UI *Bangs head into the wall* UI UI IUIUIU AAA..!!!111

The only thing codex is capable of criticizing/understanding. Every fucking thread and every fucking game. Shallow as a piss creek as always.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom