Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

tabacila

Augur
The "influencers" shat on the early access build so much they are delaying to fix it?

Hahaha.... as if a few months will make any difference.
Western influencers don't matter that much for this game. It is squarely aimed at the Chinese market.
Maybe they realised they weren't going to get approved in China. Western SJW shit like ubiquitous female generals/heroes and representing the yellow turbans as Robin Hood, didn't do nuthin types fighting against the central bureaucracy probably don't make grorious republic's censors very happy.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Feels and looks like a WoW trailer instead of something historical.

Just remember that this is based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, not the Record. The Romance is more 'history-inspired' than historical, which is why superhero characters are a thing. Visually, they're also relying on the 2010 television series, which is a debatable choice.

kalganoat

Savant
The "influencers" shat on the early access build so much they are delaying to fix it?

Western influencers don't matter that much for this game. It is squarely aimed at the Chinese market.
Maybe they realised they weren't going to get approved in China. Western SJW shit like ubiquitous female generals/heroes and representing the yellow turbans as Robin Hood, didn't do nuthin types fighting against the central bureaucracy probably don't make grorious republic's censors very happy.

Did you get that from arch warhammer's video? Lmao

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Im sure they ARE trying to get those sweet chinese monies, we know Shogun 2s most complained about feature was "The setting is BOOORING GOOOOOK land", so this game is a terrible pitch for western audience. And there is even an interest in funky samurai in the west, who the heck even knows about Romance of 3K except for Dynasty Warrior fans?

Whether or not there is anyone in china remotely interested in a TW game I guess we find out soon...

I for one hope it crashes and burns so they divert all resources back into TW:Warhams! :incline:

*edited for unnecessary swearing.

A horse of course

I don't know (or care) how the period is characterized by official state dogma, but I do know "banditry" (which has a much broader definition when used by Chinese, being applied to the invading Colonial forces during the Opium War, for example), rebellions and peasant uprisings can be portrayed as anything from nationalistic wars of independence to parasitic landowners whipping up treason against the harmony and unity of the state, so who knows how it would be taken by censors. Chinese players are definitely more old-skool when it comes to waifuism, though.

Im sure they ARE trying to get those sweet chinese monies, we know Shogun 2s most complained about feature was "The setting is BOOORING GOOOOOK land", so this game is a terrible pitch for western audience. And there is even an interest in funky samurai in the west, who the heck even knows about Romance of 3K except for Dynasty Warrior fans?

Whether or not there is anyone in china remotely interested in a TW game I guess we find out soon...

I for one hope it crashes and burns so they divert all resources back into TW:Warhams! :incline:

There's an interview from somewhere with a SEGA executive where they cite 3Gookdoms as part of their new China-centric business strategy. Whether that means anything deeper regarding why the game exists at all is down to interpretation.

*edited for unnecessary swearing.

Faggot

Last edited by a moderator:

mwnn85

Savant
I'm betting on this sinking like a stone.
I think they've rode out their luck, past success and any remaining goodwill for far too long.
I don't think this will appeal to either the historical, warhammer or moba crowd - could end up a complete dud like DoW 3.

The horrible caricature art style (straight from Civ 6), moba-like gameplay, old legacy bugs and badly sync'd animations remain.
And half the game will be locked behind DLC's.
Love that soldier exploding into dust when hitting the wall though.
Shamefur dispray.

I can't decide whether it's worth getting the legitimate Shogun 2 Gold for £15 or not in 2019 (for the Linux version)
It's 8 years old this year and might get bundled by Humble again / upgraded to a Definitive Edition / given away in Make War Not Love 6.
Shogun 2 + FoTS complete is usually £17 (75% off) when on offer but has been as low as £8 in separate Humble Bundles.

I caved in and got Total Warhammer for £8 (@Fanatical) last week and the legitimate Arkham trilogy for £9 (@Voidu) the other day.
No way I'm giving Sega £40 for Shogun 2 complete - don't know what planet they're on with their pricing.

razvedchiki

Erudite
I'm betting on this sinking like a stone.
I think they've rode out their luck, past success and any remaining goodwill for far too long.
I don't think this will appeal to either the historical, warhammer or moba crowd - could end up a complete dud like DoW 3.

The horrible caricature art style (straight from Civ 6), moba-like gameplay, old legacy bugs and badly sync'd animations remain.
And half the game will be locked behind DLC's.
Love that soldier exploding into dust when hitting the wall though.
Shamefur dispray.

I can't decide whether it's worth getting the legitimate Shogun 2 Gold for £15 or not in 2019 (for the Linux version)
It's 8 years old this year and might get bundled by Humble again / upgraded to a Definitive Edition / given away in Make War Not Love 6.
Shogun 2 + FoTS complete is usually £17 (75% off) when on offer but has been as low as £8 in separate Humble Bundles.

I caved in and got Total Warhammer for £8 (@Fanatical) last week and the legitimate Arkham trilogy for £9 (@Voidu) the other day.
No way I'm giving Sega £40 for Shogun 2 complete - don't know what planet they're on with their pricing.

shogun is a good game if you got the gold buy it,if you find the base game cheaper buy it you dont really need any of the dlcs (expect the fall of the shogun).
even if three kingdoms becomes another disaster launch CA will survive as they have done before (empire,rome 2),their chances are better now with all the newcomer "fans" of the warhammer games.

Vatnik Wumao
Trying to sell a Three Kingdoms product in China is like trying to sell ice to eskimos. If CA does not buck up fast, its going to bomb hard. And China loves review bombing games that they think suck or are patronizing.

At least CA can go back to milking warhammer fans who are willing to overlook the systemic issues with TW games.

Vatnik Wumao
Trying to sell a Three Kingdoms product in China is like trying to sell ice to eskimos. If CA does not buck up fast, its going to bomb hard. And China loves review bombing games that they think suck or are patronizing.

At least CA can go back to milking warhammer fans who are willing to overlook the systemic issues with TW games.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I don't know. They sure buy Dynasty Warriors titles from what I've gathered. Although KOEI always played it fast and loose with historical authenticity while Three Kingdoms is still up in the air with its Classic mode, of which they've shown absolutely nothing. Seeing what central role heroes are playing in the Romance mode so far I kinda doubt they're totally retooling the Classic mode to make them just a bit stronger units.

Big Dong's trailer music for those who liked it:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
shogun is a good game if you got the gold buy it,if you find the base game cheaper buy it you dont really need any of the dlcs (expect the fall of the shogun).
even if three kingdoms becomes another disaster launch CA will survive as they have done before (empire,rome 2),their chances are better now with all the newcomer "fans" of the warhammer games.
BTW, did they eventually add a means to have Japanese voice and English text in Shogun 2?

I'm moderately curious about Three Kingdoms (again), but knowing myself and knowing total war games in general, I would start one campaign, play until I'm the obvious regional superpower, and then drop it because it would get boring.

tabacila

Augur
Records mode gameplay:

Pretty much what was expected, though I am surprised they are making fatigue be a bigger factor in this mode.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I watched this, and I'm moderately interested in the game. Would pirate to try it out. But then I said the same about Thrones of Britannia, and then couldn't be bothered to even pirate that.

It's a matter of whether my Romance of the Three Kingdoms itch will persist long enough.

AwesomeButton

Patron
That's an option in Shogun, but in Shogun 2? I don't remember this being in.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I will guarantee you that the AI will exhibit the same retarded behaviors it did since R2 while ALSO being worse in various regards. I honestly have no idea how that is even possible, considering the AI in WaWa at least manages to stick to its deployment script and can occasionally be good at flanking and micro-ing.

Athos

Arcane
That's an option is Shogun, but in Shogun 2? I don't remember this being in.
In Shogun 2 as default units in battle and the campaign map speak in Japanese, with subtitles only for the pre-battle speeches. The only exaggerated rice accent is in the english voice for the battle advisor, the shamefur dispray guy (in Italian, for example, speaks normally).

Ovg

Cipher
To be quite honest, I can't wait to see what's broken this time. We had broken ai in rome 2 to the point they did nothing. We had land ships. We had all shogun2+ games needing you to uncheck and check your last CPU core to finally use your cpu properly. The potential is limitless.

I hope for some hillarious fanboi defenders and idiotic bugs showcased on youtube. It's all CA is good for.

AwesomeButton

Patron
That's an option is Shogun, but in Shogun 2? I don't remember this being in.
In Shogun 2 as default units in battle and the campaign map speak in Japanese, with subtitles only for the pre-battle speeches. The only exaggerated rice accent is in the english voice for the battle advisor, the shamefur dispray guy (in Italian, for example, speaks normally).

Maybe I should finally pick up a cheap key for it somewhere. I've never found how to turn on Japanese voice in a pirated Shogun 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom