Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

Ovg

Cipher
To be honest, now these days, 90001 patches onward, shogun 2 is ok. It even has a mod that lets you conquer japan as portugal

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing Radious Attila for a couple of days. That's pretty good as well. Though the combat AI is still crazy.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
To be honest, now these days, 90001 patches onward, shogun 2 is ok. It even has a mod that lets you conquer japan as portugal
Shogun 2 on release had pause on spacebar, you need to press obscure key now. Shogun 2 on release allowed to get experience by all lords that participated in battles, they removed the (smarter) behaviour. Shogun 2 on release had DRM that allowed to run exe from installed directory. Nowadays you need to start Steam first.

It's not like patches were only positive.

Ovg

Cipher
You got me there.

Also Shogun 2 had great way of doing dlc. Those were expansion packs. Not "Pay 15 quid to get 5 extra units".

LizardWizard

Cipher
You got me there.

Also Shogun 2 had great way of doing dlc. Those were expansion packs. Not "Pay 15 quid to get 5 extra units".

That's exactly what clan packs were, except it they were just mirror re-skins

FOTS was a stand alone game basically, similar to Napoleon and Attila

Endemic

Arcane
Since we're talking Shogun 2...pause is the P button or you could just rebind it, and save the keybinds to a file:

SffPEqr.png

Maybe I should finally pick up a cheap key for it somewhere. I've never found how to turn on Japanese voice in a pirated Shogun 2.

I looked up the cast on IMDB and most if not all of the voice actors are Japanese people (or at least of Japanese descent) that settled in England, usually theatre actors. Not sure if there was a global option at some point for Japanese, I don't think CA recorded every piece of speech in both languages anyway.

That's exactly what clan packs were, except it they were just mirror re-skins

Luckily I got all of the DLC (including RotS/FotS) for ~$10 on a Steam sale.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I looked up the cast on IMDB and most if not all of the voice actors are Japanese people (or at least of Japanese descent) that settled in England, usually theatre actors. Not sure if there was a global option at some point for Japanese, I don't think CA recorded every piece of speech in both languages anyway.
What do you mean you don't think they recorded every piece of speech in both languages? They released a Jap version. All that's needed is to include a checkbox in the options, and load speech in the respective language. They did it in the first Shogun game, why not now.

Ovg

Cipher
Because they're lazy, or don't care.

A group of fans managed to record as close to ancient as possible voiceovers for europa barbarorum. Did CA care? No. They hired the idiot behind the shit mod manager that is now long defunct.

Thank God we have kaedrin who made this nifty tool.

There was a shitton of drama about their choice to hire that fag over radious or literally anyone else who actually helped their games sell.

Ovg

Cipher
They are a lot about massing stacks which is not good. But his way of fixing the ai is good. This makes his mods a very divisive thing.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The fate of every TW mod is to become a bloated retarded mess. Happened with Darth (Although his mods were usually bloated from the get-go), happened with Radious, happened with SFO.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So... is Shogun 2 recommended to be played without his mod and just go for vanilla?

AwesomeButton

Patron
The fate of every TW mod is to become a bloated retarded mess. Happened with Darth (Although his mods were usually bloated from the get-go), happened with Radious, happened with SFO.
I liked RTR a lot, especially the idea of mini-campaigns. However Europa Barbarorum once I discovered that, remains the ultimate RTW experience for me.

I've been playing Radious Attila the last couple of days, with Huns, and I find it pretty cool. Sure there are lots of compromises with the historicity, mainly because of insufficient information in the Huns' case, and with the province divisions, but I think it captures the atmospehere of the period. I was always a bigger fan of the RTW:BI expansion than I was of the original time period anyway.

Last edited:

Ovg

Cipher
If you want to play Shogun 2 with mods, just get kaedrins mod manager and experiment with workshop things. It's quite flexible what you can achieve that way.

That way you also get the experience you like, it's hard to recommend one mod. Darthmod is worth a shot if you want mods but don't want to tinker and fuck around with possible crashes and shit.

Oh, and it's always worth it to check out twcenter, they have quite good taste in total wars.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I usually go to TWcenter and download the most popular, some games have like 600 mods to choose from :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm watching the first LP of the ~*historical*~ mode. What's the deal with the women generals? I somehow doubt they were a thing in 2nd-3rd c. China.

AwesomeButton

Patron
After seeing the last battle in the LP, it looks like it's officially impossible to lose battles in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom