Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Indeed. Seems only fair, going by the rules.
    It's super fucking random. At the end of my campaign, I had Liu Bei as a loyal ally in my coalition, while tiny ass factions with literally only a single iron mine and no village were breaking trade agreements to join coalitions from people 6 provinces away and declare war on me. I didn't have any vassals since I was playing the bandit bitch, but I also saw someone break a non aggression pact with me 2 turns after I made it with them. Again, when they were hopelessly outclassed. It's also trivially easy to become so reviled by a faction that they'd prefer extermination to any peace deal you offer.

I think a good summary of the diplomacy is the playthrough someone did where they won the game by offering 10 turns of food for a province that produces food, immediately broke the deal on the same turn, and made another deal of the same type with the same person because they needed the food even more. It's got lots of options and details, but the way they interact is broken.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    but having a stupid stare stuck on your face does.

• No No x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Axioms Literate

Axioms

I mean I support the idea of factions rather dying than joining their hated enemy. This is true to life, a key part of many massive empires failing, etc. But some of the other diplo stuff makes very little sense.

^ Top  
  4. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    I played around some more with various factions, currently doing rather well on a H/H Yuan Shao. After getting used to the UI I admit it's not outright bad but it a) doesn't really fit the theme (Shogun 2 had an amazing UI regarding both usability and style) and b) lacks a lot of QoL features. Fine tuning numbers during diplomacy is fucking tedious, worse than it was in SH2.
    The battles are... odd. I tried both Romance and Records, preferring the more classic style of Records overall, but neither version does anything regarding shitty weak charges and blobbing, two issues they had already fixed in Warhammer!
    God damn it CA what are you doing?

^ Top  
  5. cw8 Learned

cw8
    I wish advisors did more stuff than just buff ranged dmg, ammo and get trebuchets rolling. If somehow they had plots like in the old KOEI games where they can confuse enemy units, have units fight each other that'll be great. And then there's fire, Zhuge Liang favourite weapon. There's already fire environmental damage in the game, if you used fire shots with trebuchets, you'll see trees light up on fire, towers can burn down from fire damage. If somehow the fire affected burning of units that'll be great incline. And if you can somehow spread the fire in a forested map, while defending in sieges, in ambushes, that'll be a dream.
    Some of my best gaming moments came from KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4. There's a starting scenario where Cao Cao has the entire north and central China. Liu Bei has one fucking minor city, Jiangxia, right beside Cao Cao. Cao Cao almost immediately attacks Liu Bei from his Xiangyang, one of the richest capital cities. If you play Liu Bei, you might think you're pretty much screwed except you have a great many generals, officers and Zhuge Liang. Just fight Cao Cao's huge army in the grass plains. Zhuge Liang does his weather switch to clear skies, and officer or 2 to literally set fire on the grass, Zhuge Liang does his wind direction switch right to Cao's army. And just watch as his huge army just burn to death. Repeat till he runs out of military force in Xiangyang and then take Xiangyang.
    Not asking CA to implement the ability to control weather, it's ludicrous. But being able to start and spread fires could be a thing. It's almost how most of the big, decisive battles are won, through fire. CA had Byzantines flamethrowers back in MTW2. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    and waste precious cpu cycles for a gaming feature instead of just graphics? are you insane?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    In other words, yeah, I'm just going to reinstall ROTK...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    [​IMG]

Okay then, Coalition of Assholes is go! (He of course died a turn later but Lu Bu was his heir so CoA is still in effect.)

^ Top  
  9. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    After playing to what I perceive to be about the late mid-game I can say with confidence that this game is shit and annoying. I conquered the north-eastern parts of the map and the sheer amount of diplo spam, ancillary spam, satisfaction spam and so forth kills my desire to play on. Battles are for the most part laughably broken anyway. Once you get two artillery units you can safely sit back and nuke everyone to bits. You can't autoresolve your way through the campaign though because the game is finely tuned to force you to play the unsatisfying battles. It's laughable. The supposedly improved diplomacy is a mess too, once coalitions form it's a constant back-and-forth of irrational war and peace declarations. The AI can't even form proper blobs of territory, much less build its provinces correctly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Diplomacy in TW games was always a joke. By midgame you'd end up at war with anyone anyway, regardless of what you did, and most nations wouldn't accept peace deals ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    In any such game is a joke,i am yet to see a good diplomacy in strategy game. Maybe CK2 have the best one that i have seen,but it is still very lacking.

^ Top  
  12. Axioms Literate

Axioms
    Thank god someone admits CK2 has mediocre diplomacy/politics/espionage. All hope for humanity is not lost.

^ Top  
  13. cw8 Learned

cw8
    Get items and ancillaries, they're very good for diplomacy. Trade off territory if you have to. Sometimes good to trade a valued city for a few years of peace. I did that my last game. Sun Jian to the South declared war on me while I was warring the North. So I used Zhang Fei to take his Jianye, and since Jian Ye is so precious to him, I traded it off to him for peace and concentrated on taking the entire north. I then placed Zhang Fei just on top of Jian Ye. Sun Jian declared war again after a few years, and I took Jianye again and used it to barter peace for the 2nd time.

^ Top  
  14. cw8 Learned

cw8
    DLC announced and so soon. It's not even the 3 Kingdoms era anymore, it's the Jin Dynasty of Sima Yan. Can't give 2 shits about the history once Sima Yan founded the Jin or Sima Yi's progeny so have no idea about the 8 princes. So much to build on for and during the 3 Kingdoms and they have to veer off to another era.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    True, people go crazy for stone piggus and books. I decided to give it another try as Gong Du and while the early game is annoying as fuck once you get the ball rolling it's more enjoyable than the regular factions since you can ignore the family/relationship side of the game for the most part. Ironic.

^ Top  
  16. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    I was lonely after decent TW, when 3K was just mediocre and tried Attila with all DLC non crashing version. And I'm not in war with EVERYONE.
    Huns like me and agreed to non aggression.
    Also people I liberated kinda like me.

^ Top  
  17. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    ETW had a factor where you could stave off the AI arbitrarily declaring war on you by stationing armies on your border to keep them passive. It played a big role in the beginning to late game and helped tie down a good amount of your forces.

It was simple yet effective and about the limit of the AI's strategic thinking.

^ Top  
  18. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    [​IMG]

This is the worst spy in whole Attila.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)