Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Original Shogun still laguhably ahistorical.
Implying video games should value realism. "Realism = good game" is a fallacy and has nothing to do with games. More often than not it's just a marketing tool targeted at dumb people.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember "Shogun I" was when Turnbull was assisting as a consultant and loved it.
And? Real special forces operators worked with Splash Damage on Medal of Honor Warfighter. Oblivion had soil erosion. Far Cry Primal uses a language created by historians and lingustics experts.

Original Shogun still laguhably ahistorical. MoH:W is a shitty CoD clone. Oblivion is Oblivion, and Far Cry Primal is a lazy reskin of FC4.
It never pretend to be historical. Historical battles were usually not about rock paper scissor mechanics.

Mark Richard

Arcane
If you've bought Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2 they slot together
Delving into the ancient grimoire of gaming history reveals such projects were once known as expansion packs. Alas, before I could close the tome, an unearthly voice filled the air and uttered three terrible words - 'Now sixty dollars!'

Neanderthal

Arcane
Grey Seer Thanquol were tryin to disrupt Elves vortex in Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, funny to see em retreadin same ground.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I got TW:W free on Humble the other month and with this announcement it means that the DLC will probably be 80% off by the winter sale. So only 9 months until I fire up that turd.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I stopped buying TW games when the dlc nonsense started. The last one I have is MTW2 with Kingdoms. I wanted to buy Warhammer at a discount when it's completed. Should've guessed this would never happen...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Shogun 2 gold was at sale for 10$. Just saying. Best edition of Empire TW, is v 1.5 pirate edition.

A horse of course

Worst TW is Shogun 2
What happened with Rome 2, and WH:TW milk money by DLC and screw users by denuvo?

Shogun 2:
1 fucking faction on release
ADD speedy gonzalez combat
Scripted betrayals by allies because lol
Realm Divide stack spam
Agent spam
The most ludicrous AI cheating in any TW gnome to date
Grorious nippon "history" AKA an island of conceited drunks and pirates with tasteless beer
Shitty anti-aliasing
Inferior AMD tesselation
Lazy as fuck, the least content of any Total War game until Total DLChammer

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All Total War games that use the new engine are shit because the engine itself is fucked beyond repair. Battles, the most important aspect of the series, are completely broken and feel like KEWL ACTION MOVIE. I mean, Total Wars were always unrealistic and action-oriented, but the new engine just breaks all battles to me. I'm especially disappointed with how everybody ALWAYS DUELS IN BATTLES, I mean what the fuck. Instead of a mass charge, pushing each other, fighting together, now it's basically duel duel duel. No pushing weaker enemy, there's no mass in the crowd, no more throwing heavy infantry to the gate to push defenders (or push back attackers), nope. Now it's a fucking 1v1 duel between each fucking unit fuck. It was already bad in M2TW, but only in a limited extend, so it was still alright, but since Empire everything is shit because there's no fucking battles, it's just a large-scale dueling grounds.

A horse of course

Individual units do not duel in Warhammer, with the exception of synchronized animation kills by larger creatures such as Giants or Wyverns.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Individual units do not duel in Warhammer, with the exception of synchronized animation kills by larger creatures such as Giants or Wyverns.
No idea about WH because I hate fantasy, but it was still apparent up to Rome 2 for sure. It's also present in M2TW too, but at least there still was mass-pushing. Actually, come to think of it, M2TW was shit too, only mods saved it from disgrace.

Shogun would be the best TW if not for shit fantasy units like supersamurais and crap. Rome Total War had some shit units like it too.

I think the best vanilla Total War was Barbarian Invasion. It was pretty limited, but at least there wasn't too much retarded shit in battles.

Never played the first Medieval, I should check it out some day.

A horse of course

Models will "line up" in the sense that they will position themselves to focus on squaring up against the closest enemy unit, but they can still be hit from any angle. There's none of the weird rubberbanding where units slide in and out of position to match up animations.

mbv123

Arbiter
Worst TW obviously is Empire. Not even patches and mods saved it.
It was so shit that CA had to salvage it by making a standalone expansion called Napoleon Total War.

DramaticPopcorn

Units in Shogun 2 had impact, at least visually, in Total WH it's all stylish arcadey RPS devoid of any impact

A horse of course

Empire has some replayability potential and the skeleton of some interesting campaign mechanics, unlike Shogun 2.

A horse of course

Charlemagne is pretty lame due to the lack of variety. Hopefully this will be alright though:

edit: Have to watch on utubbz

Kuattro

Augur
Charlemagne is pretty lame due to the lack of variety. Hopefully this will be alright though:

edit: Have to watch on utubbz

Ruler of Castille is called Aurelio (WTF!?) and has the Coat of Arms of Aragon in his tabard.

Ruler of Aragon is called Sulayman and has the Arms of Aragon-Sicily in his tabard.

IN 1295.

Where the fuck is my Deus Vult smilie?

:killit:

Yes I realize they're probably placeholders, otherwise it would be pretty funny seeing Charlemagne and Offa taking a stroll through XIII Century's Europe. I just hope Aurelio and... Sulayman are also placeholders, and that so are the Arms they are wearing.

Yeah I am triggered. So what.

Vibalist

Arcane
There's something absurd about watching CA constantly adding new factions to this game, expanding the map, giving us new features, etc., while the core gameplay remains as poor as ever.
It's as if they think that as long as they expand and enlarge everything, at some point players will be so impressed by the sheer scope of it all that they'll forget how frustrating and boring actually playing the damn thing is.

I keep firing up this game from time to time to see what is new, but I'm always reminded why I quit playing it in the first place. This game is like the Oblivion of grand strategy. Impressive and huge on the outside, but utterly devoid of any depth.
It's a shame, because a huge strategic map featuring every Warhammer race is a great concept, and CA's ambition of constantly increasing the size of it all is admirable on some level, but it's undermined by the fact that you're bound to quit playing it after 5 hours because none of it is fun.

Also, the entire game will end up costing you 3-400 dollars if you want everything. This is a whole new level of wheeling and dealing in the game industry, the next logical step in the 'sell-the-game-piece-meal' DLC marketing culture.

Last edited:

mbv123

Arbiter
Why should they bother improving the game? They knew Warhammer fanboys will eat up anything they shit out, no matter what price (since they already spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for tabletop gaming, what's a few hundred for a video game?) They found their audience and will milk as much money as they can. Why make it more complicated and thus alienate the casuals that just want to see tiny men and orcs clash out on a plain, thinking that they somehow are influencing the battle?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the trailer showcases a 3 way battle?
I don't think it has ever happened in human history because of the sheer retardedness of the idea (3 way war did happen, but it is pretty different than splitting your forces to engage two enemies that happen to be already fighting each other).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom