Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

GrainWetski

Arcane
Haven't had any real problems with the 20k fights on very hard though I've only been doing them with a decent stack.

They become a complete joke as Vampire Coast when you can start buying Necrofex and run 3-4 of them along with Bess + maybe 1-2 mortars.

Olinser

Savant
I slaughtered the 20k stacks with zero losses multiple times with Harkon, Vampire Captain (vampire lore), Mornghoul Haunter, Bess, 4 mortars, 5 handgun gunnery mobs, 7 Depth Guard. Also the group that beat the final battle without losing a unit.

I actually found the Vampire Coast campaign insanely easier than the Vortex campaign (which was already very easy), as just a few Coves lets you get hundreds of Infamy a turn with zero risk.

Getting all 4 admirals at 1k infamy each I still had enough infamy to finish the campaign on Normal about turn 80 with no particular effort to get extra Infamy.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
End times for TWW3 is fine as long as they do not get to the details. That is, TWW3 being Chaos invasion and resurrection of Nagash that sets the whole world aflame and in conflict is perfectly okay. End times is shit because it destroyed the setting, and did it in the most disgraceful way possible with almost every named character acting in unfitting and nonsensical ways, with shortcuts to storylines and long established relationships etc., it was clearly made to end the series and transfer it to Age of Sigmarines. Which also makes it prologue to an alternate universe instead of official Warhammer Fantasy canon, by the way.

The expansion itself is great and vampire coast plays differently both in campaign and in battles. The main problem I have is complete lack of balance, they get way too many bonuses and quirks and no negatives whatsoever. They need to have more downsides especially on land and with lack of vampiric corruption, some of their units are also useless.

A horse of course

I have a coupon for -50% WH II in my inventory that expires on the 21st/22nd. Dunno if this is for everyone or WH1 owners or whatever.

Aemar

Arcane
I guess all WH1 owners received one. Still waiting for that -75% off discount before buying Warhammer 2 though.

Olinser

Savant
End times for TWW3 is fine as long as they do not get to the details. That is, TWW3 being Chaos invasion and resurrection of Nagash that sets the whole world aflame and in conflict is perfectly okay. End times is shit because it destroyed the setting, and did it in the most disgraceful way possible with almost every named character acting in unfitting and nonsensical ways, with shortcuts to storylines and long established relationships etc., it was clearly made to end the series and transfer it to Age of Sigmarines. Which also makes it prologue to an alternate universe instead of official Warhammer Fantasy canon, by the way.

The expansion itself is great and vampire coast plays differently both in campaign and in battles. The main problem I have is complete lack of balance, they get way too many bonuses and quirks and no negatives whatsoever. They need to have more downsides especially on land and with lack of vampiric corruption, some of their units are also useless.

End Times as a theoretical IDEA wasn't a bad thing, the idea of pruning off a lot of the convoluted and retconned lore from the various rulebooks that hadn't been updated in 10+ years but were still 'valid', and re-creating the franchise from scratch could have been a great thing. But End Times execution was probably the greatest dumpster fire of attempting to re-create a modern franchise since MechWarrior Dark Age, even worse than Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Instead of putting in the time to thoughtfully create the new world, it really seemed like Games Workshop wanted to just end the franchise and didn't want to be constantly answering 'Why don't you bring back Fantasy', 'When are you going to revisit Fantasy', so they burned the world to the ground and turned it into a literal joke with the initial Age of Sigmar 'rules'.

And yeah, Vampire Coast is really strong, they seem to have fallen a little bit into the GW trap of making a roster of intentionally strong units and intentionally weak units, and forgetting that people simply will not use the weak units because their existence doesn't stop somebody from building an army composed exclusively of the strong units.

A horse of course

I guess all WH1 owners received one. Still waiting for that -75% off discount before buying Warhammer 2 though.

Wait for a 75% off the base game AND all the DLC.

Instead of putting in the time to thoughtfully create the new world, it really seemed like Games Workshop wanted to just end the franchise and didn't want to be constantly answering 'Why don't you bring back Fantasy', 'When are you going to revisit Fantasy', so they burned the world to the ground and turned it into a literal joke with the initial Age of Sigmar 'rules'.

I've always wondered what they were thinking with the "Haven" subplot in the early End Times books. For those who don't know, there was a whole section with Lileath creating an alternate dimension/world as a sort of inter-dimensional Ark or backup plan for Chaos destroying the world (although she thinks they'll find that too, after 1000's of years or whatever). Entire armies of Elves and Bretonnians as well as Lileath's child and lover get sent through at various points, but then in the final book Chaos finds out and there's a single line where Lileath says she senses that it's been destroyed.

I don't know if there was a plan for Haven to be the AoS setting, or a legacy setting for WFB or what. I haven't followed any of the shitty AoS lore so I don't know if it was ever brought up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olinser

Savant

Just a warning - if that's what you're waiting for it is probably going to be a long time. They just had a major sale of all TWWH2 DLC before the release of Vampire Coast, it is highly unlikely they'll have another big sale for months.

A horse of course

Just a warning - if that's what you're waiting for it is probably going to be a long time. They just had a major sale of all TWWH2 DLC before the release of Vampire Coast, it is highly unlikely they'll have another big sale for months.

Yeah but they eventually had a big sale on the WH1 + DLC during WH II, so people who are looking for the most cost-effective "complete" experience of each title are better off waiting for those. Or they could just wait for the end of the WH3 DLC cycle (I think the licence goes up to 2021, can't recall).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They really didn't think Lokhir through. There are very few sources of Scrolls of Hekarti down at his position so the Vortex endgame takes foreeeeeeeeever.

A horse of course

They really didn't think Lokhir through. There are very few sources of Scrolls of Hekarti down at his position so the Vortex endgame takes foreeeeeeeeever.

The Vortex conditions may as well not even be there. All the DLC races (TK and VCoast) have more entertaining and gameplay-friendly victory conditions than the base races.

Olinser

Savant

The Vortex conditions may as well not even be there. All the DLC races (TK and VCoast) have more entertaining and gameplay-friendly victory conditions than the base races.

Lokhir is a Dark Elf, and still runs on the Vortex rules, and needs to gather Scrolls and complete the rituals. He has no unique win condition.

He's really insanely weak. As a LL he's towards the bottom - he's one of the weakest non-pure mages in actual combat, and his spells and skills aren't particularly great.

His start position is extremely weak, and he starts so far away from the other Dark Elf LLs that if he is ever actually IN position to confederate the other LLs, its going to be late in the game and the AI will have royally screwed up their skills (seriously they need a full skill reset on confederation).

His unique mechanic, recruiting Black Arks from any port, is extremely weak because Black Arks take such a long time to be actually useful, and almost none of the big Scroll locations are attackable with Arks.

He's really quite poorly thought out, he's basically 'hard mode' Dark Elves with a whole bunch of downsides and no real upsides.

A horse of course

Lokhir is a Dark Elf, and still runs on the Vortex rules, and needs to gather Scrolls and complete the rituals. He has no unique win condition.

That's what I said. He's part of the base races, same as Granny, A fucking leaf, and Queen Manshoulders, and whoever the Lizard/Rat DLC brings along, whereas TK and VCoast are DLC races and have their own victory conditions.

FreeKaner

Mission statement of the Dark Elves:

uyyTiCp.png

Olinser

Savant
Sure, but the campaign starts him almost as far as POSSIBLE away from Karond Kar on the map. No other character has a quest to take anything NEAR as far away. All of the other quest capture locations are 2-3 provinces away from your starting location.

FreeKaner

Sure, but the campaign starts him almost as far as POSSIBLE away from Karond Kar on the map. No other character has a quest to take anything NEAR as far away. All of the other quest capture locations are 2-3 provinces away from your starting location.

It's really not hard to take cities in the campaign. You don't have to take all settlements between where he starts and Karond Kar. You can just take it later.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

It's really not hard to take cities in the campaign. You don't have to take all settlements between where he starts and Karond Kar. You can just take it later.

The problem is that down south you have your hands full keeping undead and skaven rebellions in check since DE have very little in the way of corruption reducing buildings. Besides, it's annoying as hell to have to sail a stack TO THE OTHER END OF THE MAP. That shit was bad in WH1 and it's bad now.

A horse of course

I played a couple of hours of the Felheart campaign. It was alright but the pirate fleets would just attack and sink my Black Ark, which is very difficult to defend against in the early game. Once I had an upgraded Black Ark with low troop upkeep I could just sail out with my main army to get rid of them until they respawned, but it's still an awkward situation they didn't really think through - you should at least be able to "dock" the Black Ark while the pirate fleet passes. Also I misunderstood the earlier post about Felheart needing Karond Klar - it's part of the Quest Battle objectives, which is vanilla Warhammer 1 levels of mind-numbing retardation, on a similar level to the Mannfred objectives sending you to the absolute southern boundary of the map or the Azhag quest in the chaos wastes. By the time you bother doing that objective you've probably won the campaign already.

The other problem is that I'm kinda leery of playing too much in the Lizardman/Skaven areas since I know the 2019 DLC will be expanding their LLs, Lords, Heroes and unit roster, so I may as well wait for that. I might do a short Kemmler ME campaign just to dominate Bretonnia and mess around with the new VC mechanics instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom