Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

razvedchiki

Erudite
Isnt the single thread performance about raw ghz?i mean i overclocked to 4.5 and didnt see much of a difference.

mwnn85

Savant
Isnt the single thread performance about raw ghz?i mean i overclocked to 4.5 and didnt see much of a difference.
You can push the chip harder to try and make up for the shortfall, yes.
It's all about the IPC - instructions per cycle - so even an FX chip overclocked to a certain speed might only match an Intel chip at stock speeds or lower.

It's not a fair comparison but as an example:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/1781vs3098vs3243
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...yzen-5-2600-vs-Intel-i7-8700K/368vs3243vs3098
Each of the cores on the Intel looks like it's twice as "clever" as the old FX chip. Almost three times smarter than my old Phenom.
It also depends greatly on whether a game takes advantage of multiple cpu cores and/or favors Intel/AMD.

The FX chips were a bit of a strange design in that they had shared floating point "modules" across the cores:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/fx-6300-got-6-cores-or-3-cores.1559205/
They're a bit like a 3 core/quad core chips with threading.

When was the last time you wiped Windows and installed it from scratch?
It tends to bog down after a while - worse now on Win10 with constant updates every 6 months or so.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
intel i7 8700k seems to slap hard enough the engine to behave,too bad that it costs 400 euros-with that amount i can get a ryzen 2600/new mobo/16 gigs of ram.

i will definetely wait for ryzen 2/new ati cards.

my windows install is one month old due to buying a new ssd.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Ryzen has double performance per cycle than previous AMD CPUs. I remember about KhornesChampion screaming on twitch, when he used old AMD. Then instead of saying AMD finally made something useful, because they paid Keller to invent it, he bought Intel.

Seethe

Arbiter
i wonder if a new cpu would cut the long turn/battle load times.
i have a fx6300 clocked to 4.1 with 8 gigs of ram and a 1050 ti,on warhammer 1 first turn is 16 secs on 2 it goes up to 1.3 mins.i clocked my cpu to 4.5 to see if it made any difference and it gave me 2-3 secs.

Turn times are affected by CPU. Loading screens are affected by your hard drive. Battles load very fast if you have an SSD compared to having an HDD

razvedchiki

Erudite
yea i know, i was just wondering if a newer cpu would lessen the loading times,because my after battle load is around 1 min in warhammer 2 with a samsung evo 860(in warhammer 1 its around 25-30 secs).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
yea i know, i was just wondering if a newer cpu would lessen the loading times,because my after battle load is around 1 min in warhammer 2 with a samsung evo 860(in warhammer 1 its around 25-30 secs).
For some unfathomable reason, I think WH2 unloads almost everything on the campaign map prior to entering a battle.
When the battle is over, it all has to be loaded again, causing that massive load time.
As to why they don't just keep the entire (or at least almost entire) campaign situation in memory... your guess is as good as mine. It can't be THAT much data.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I like dreaming of beautiful regiments fighting each other with cool graphics and watching guides, but when I try playing any TW it is just a massacre everyone vs everyone and yakety sax with archers. And Warhammer has ton of auras and abilities on top of this.

I am just bad I guess, even with pause.

But I like looking at units and dreaming how someone fucks people at GW who developed AoS with rusty pipes.

Well I won first skirmish, maybe I'll try campaign or something.

I think games like this could use a bit more abstraction in their graphics and engines.

Fucking hell late game is a slog.
I'm at turn 250, and only need to defeat Archaon and a few stacks of Chaos.
But he keeps running and hiding in the most northern corner of the Chaos Wastes.

:rage:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But he keeps running and hiding in the most northern corner of the Chaos Wastes.

How did you manage to play that long?
Usually, by turn 120-150 latest, I've got fully upgraded armies, seen all the units in action, fought the hardest battles (sieges against fully stacked defender + full defender army, as well as some event battles I guess) and become the biggest blob on the map.
I just quit and start over with another faction at that point. There really is no point to actually finish the campaign, it would just be busywork with decreased challenge.

For example, I just "finished" (aka reached that point) with Teclis after about 36 hours of playing. My last battle was some event battle, I fielded three dragons and two phoenixes (with the Lucky's Overhaul mod, that's about the max you can field in total with one dragon building).
I saw the dragon's breath attack just melt two infantry squads in a second, while my own spearmen (the very same that have been with me from turn 2 on, triple gold by now :salute:). Felt that was an appropriate time to consider that playthrough finished.

While on the topic of HIgh Elves... Fuck Teclis (the economy is a trainwreck. SO. FUCKING. SLOW). Fuck jungles (SO. SLOW. MOVEMENT). Fuck oceans (5 turns to get from the mainland to the island... FFFFFUUUUUUU). So... there's that.
At the same time, you basically become allied with the other High Elves automatically, granting you a free, ridiculously powerful confederation. Your units are just... wow, seriously. Spearmen that can take on most other infantry and hold the line for a very long time, backed by your mages? Crazy stuff.
Playing Skaven was way more fun, to be honest.

Last edited:

Usually, by turn 120-150 latest, I've got fully upgraded armies, seen all the units in action, fought the hardest battles (sieges against fully stacked defender + full defender army, as well as some event battles I guess) and become the biggest blob on the map.
I just quit and start over with another faction at that point. There really is no point to actually finish the campaign, it would just be busywork with decreased challenge.

For example, I just "finished" (aka reached that point) with Teclis after about 36 hours of playing. My last battle was some event battle, I fielded three dragons and two phoenixes (with the Lucky's Overhaul mod, that's about the max you can field in total with one dragon building).
I saw the dragon's breath attack just melt two infantry squads in a second, while my own spearmen (the very same that have been with me from turn 2 on, triple gold by now :salute:). Felt that was an appropriate time to consider that playthrough finished.

While on the topic of HIgh Elves... Fuck Teclis (the economy is a trainwreck. SO. FUCKING. SLOW). Fuck jungles (SO. SLOW. MOVEMENT). Fuck oceans (5 turns to get from the mainland to the island... FFFFFUUUUUUU). So... there's that.
At the same time, you basically become allied with the other High Elves automatically, granting you a free, ridiculously powerful confederation. Your units are just... wow, seriously. Spearmen that can take on most other infantry and hold the line for a very long time, backed by your mages? Crazy stuff.

I got stubborn, and now I want to complete the Long campaign.
I've had max armies for a long time as well, and to be honest, the last 50 turns haven't exactly been fun.
It was a good challenge pushing back the Chaos hordes+beating Norsca into a peace treaty at the same time though.
But by Sigmar I'm gonna finish it now!

Seethe

Arbiter

I got stubborn, and now I want to complete the Long campaign.
I've had max armies for a long time as well, and to be honest, the last 50 turns haven't exactly been fun.
It was a good challenge pushing back the Chaos hordes+beating Norsca into a peace treaty at the same time though.
But by Sigmar I'm gonna finish it now!

There's nothing wrong with that. When Skaven DLC is released, I'm gonna do a campaign where I conquer the whole world with them. Same with Empire after they get reworked.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I'm playing Skaven and I'm at turn 307. During turn up to 127 I was busy with exchanging capitals between me and Kroq-Gar.
Now I'm busy in Bretonia with high elves. I lost a level 18 leader to moon dragon, because three enemy armies attacked my Skaven weak sauce armies. Actually I won, with one leader dead and two retreated remaining Skaven units without leaders bravely obliterated high elven armies.

Parabalus

Arcane

I'm playing Skaven and I'm at turn 307. During turn up to 127 I was busy with exchanging capitals between me and Kroq-Gar.
Now I'm busy in Bretonia with high elves. I lost a level 18 leader to moon dragon, because three enemy armies attacked my Skaven weak sauce armies. Actually I won, with one leader dead and two retreated remaining Skaven units without leaders bravely obliterated high elven armies.

Are you playing on some modded difficulties?

IIRC on my queek campaign I exterminated Kroq-Gar by turn 22, and thought that was extremely slow.

When i was playing as him, i mainly just focused on taking ports, and profiting off of trade deals and military allies. was pretty fun imo

A horse of course

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019

Just poasting the relevant bits:

Fantasy New Content Team – WARHAMMER II
Snippet.png

As we said in the last what the teams are working on blog, the Fantasy New Content Team is powering away at a Lord Pack DLC – which we can confirm will be the next content released for the Total War series!

You may have noticed that we sometimes include Old World Updates alongside our DLC releases, and this DLC is no exception as we are working on a bespoke new feature for one of the WARHAMMER I races that’ll have you bending the knee.

Fantasy Team – pre-production
Mocap.jpg

The Fantasy Team is still very much hard at work in pre-production for their next project.

This month they’ve been slaving over a hot (for February) mocap studio, with some excellent performances by our resident mocap artists now in the can and waiting to have that all-important digital flesh applied to their bones. Or perhaps more bones, or indeed flesh. After all, some things just can’t be legally motion captured…

Access Team – secret project
Horse_Circle.png

The Access Team’s project is ramping up testing this month as we get ready for announce later this year. We’re very excited to share our secret project with you all as it’s a new genre for Total War and has been a real passion project for the developers involved. Keep watching this space, and if you want to hear more about our latest Total War updates and news, sign up to Total War Access.

Looks like Bretonnia is getting an update - they're probably the least amount of work, so hopefully there will be a more substantial overhaul for Empire or Greenskins in the next big DLC (confirmed a few months back as coming after this Lord pack).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am guessing a Grail hunt mechanic. I just wish CA would change the Green Knight mechanic. I love the idea behind the Green Knight, I just hate that it is tied to limited charges and that you must leave a slot open for it.

Finally managed to finish my campaign.
Turns out Archaon was taking a little stroll round Norsca, down to Lothern

I was hoping for a little more than this, but I guess it's fullfilling enough to know I finally did it. :hmmm:

C769BB3697AB692E26876EDBDFA4864D81B609E4

Argronok

Literate
In case people missed it. CA announced news on what to expect for the games coming very soon:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019

For the Warhammer Total War stuff.

The next DLC for Warhammer 2 will come before Three Kingdom's release. And it will be the Lord Pack for Skaven and Lizardmen. But in this update they teased that a Warhammer 1 Race will be getting in update with this DLC, and from the picture they showed, it seems to be Bretonnia getting an update. As for the Skaven and Lizardmen pack. They better goddamn well have both Warplock Jezzials and Ratling Guns and Poisoned Wind Mortars, or I am gonna flip if even one of them missing.

Warhammer 3 is well into Pre-Production, showing a picture of a MoCap actor. All that is left to get in a Warhammer 3 is Daemons of Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs, the Ogre Kingdoms, and a bunch of Minor Factions if they ever appear like Kislev, and all the missing units left from the already established factions.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Kislev, Dogs of War and Araby will definitely make an appearance (though DoW or Araby will probably be the last race pack for TW2).

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Nah, they'll either package Tilea/Estalia/Border Princes as the Dogs of War (which is an established WHFB faction), or call them the Southern Realms.

There are tech references that point to a future Southern Realms faction. Not to mention the fact that Miragliano has too many building slots to not be a faction capital at some point. They've been gradually filling out that region (with Skaven and VCoast) and there are enough settlements there now to sustain a fully featured faction.

To get a glimpse of what it might look like, you can try out Cataph's Southern Realms mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom