Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Playing now, I think keeping Hag Graef is the better option.

Reasoning:
- NAPs seem obtainable.
-Trade is a big bonus. If your capital moves to the islands you are never getting to trade with anyone. Naggarond alone is worth ~350 gp/turn
- Hag Graef is 4 settlements while the islands are 3. This makes Hag Graef a far better place to send all of your slaves... which then cause more revolts for more slaves.
- You get a bonus to public order for the first few turns that basically makes it easy to go grab all of the settlements in the province.

Money is very tight in the beginning if you aren't getting the payout from Malekith. I had to disband 1 unit on my way to the capital of the islands with an almost-full stack to avoid bankruptcy, but managed to capture it on turn 5. Make sure to "hide" Malus's army in the black ark for the massive upkeep bonus whenever you can. One of the strongest economic games I've ever had past the first few turns. Ironically enough milking the -50% construction cost bonus interferes with your rebel farming since it gives such a huge public order bonus. There's some serious theoretical optimization possible here by making sure that +10 PO only happens when both regions are in revolt and get +20 per turn automatically.

Other general thoughts:
- Malus himself is kind of shit imo. His powers that cause damage to him seem to cost 10% of his HP, which is just too much. Its very unlikely that giving the enemy a temporary -24 melee defense debuff is going to recoup that HP lost IMO, same for a temporary melee damage buff. Using either of these abilities decreases his staying power, which is sort of the best part of lords (send them into melee to tie up 2-3 enemy units->spam arrows that have a 99% chance of hitting the enemy and a 1% chance of hitting your lord, also spam dark ark abilities). With some good equipment I can see him doing well based on pure stat power but by default he's just not that amazing.
- Tz'arkan is pretty badass... but seems balanced for MP rather than SP. In SP that degeneration is just too awful. Its only going to be useful in short battles... like the starting battle, ironically enough. That battle is very difficult on legendary.
- Scourgerunner chariots are surprisingly great. Always kind of found chariots to be shit in TWWH but their extra speed and range over cold one chariots make them quite useful for skirmishing and wearing down enemy units while avoiding damage (cold ones are just too slow and always get caught up in melee by something and destroyed), while still being "good enough" to charge through wavering infantry and run down fleeing units.
- Medusae are pretty OK. Pulls its weight on ranged duty and when it runs out of ammo does decently in melee.
- High Beastmasters look like they will be pretty good for Beast doomstacks.

Also turn times are amazing now.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Average Manatee, if you use Tzarkan's transformation just prior to the end of a battle, does Malus keep the renewed health bar? For example, you win the battle with Malus at 50% health and just before you hit "end battle" you transform to obtain a full health bar.

Average Manatee, if you use Tzarkan's transformation just prior to the end of a battle, does Malus keep the renewed health bar? For example, you win the battle with Malus at 50% health and just before you hit "end battle" you transform to obtain a full health bar.

Don't know, don't really care. Hitting -10 for -50% construction cost is just so damn useful when you are upgrading multiple provinces + dark arks. Heroes regen health incredibly quickly anyway (you also get the dark ark bonus), so I don't see how its that important. I don't see any reason to go full tz'arkan unless you've stacked another +50% ward/phys res so you can solo whole armies (even then actually using tz'arkan is a last resort thing, you're mostly going for the +30% ward bonus). Otherwise Malus at -8 influence is only marginally less useful than Malus at +10.

Also Tz'arkan is annoying as hell to use. I tried to fully abuse Malus in the first battle (probably the best situation you can get). He ran out of morale at ~60% health left (and scoring a grand total of 16 kills...) and I couldn't activate Tz'arkan at that point. By the time he was usable again he was on the other side of the map. So don't think you'll basically double Malus's health, you aren't going to be able to wait until 10% to use it. I expect it would be way better with regeneration though since the regeneration cap should be doubled.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
users on steam report turn time reduction of up to 80%,from 40 to 10 secs in ME on the first few turns with the new patch.
i call bullshit for now,probably they dont count just the reduction seems big enough after waiting 2 mins for a turn.

edit
well i was wrong,on my 9300h first 5 turns on mortal empires i get 13 to 16 secs.
I don't know, I have found the turn time reduction really impressive!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Whelp, Tzarkan's transformation can't be used if the battle outcome is decided. CA really did not want the transformation to be gamed at all.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I am playing Malus's vortex campaign on Very Hard/Very Hard. For now, I have ignored potions and just focused on Tzarkan's Whispers. I found armor with 10% wardsave and regeneration early, and at full-possession Malus can tank an army by himself (for now).

These are the special followers I have seen in my campaign or in videos:
-Nagaira: 30+ winds of magic and -1 winds of magic cost for all spells
-Spirit of Lhunara: gives a stack snipe and stalk.
-Yasmir: +1 loyalty per turn and +2 global recruitment.

I figured out that rebellions seem to lower the number of slaves in the province (not sure if that's new?) so its actually a bad idea to rebel farm. At least, don't rebel farm in any province you are collecting slaves. So I started focusing on public order for hag graef and sent all slaves there.

- Further reason for Hag Graef: It means you get a cheap army to maintain. This means your "power level" as viewed by the AIs skyrockets compared to a normal game. This seems to be why I can so easily get NAPs with basically everyone (tomb kings and skaven south of Hag Graef), and I haven't had any kind of surprise DoW. The skaven fucking paid me for the NAP (only 200 but still).
- The sorceress I hired from the ritual turned out to be fire. If you don't get fire I'd highly recommend savescumming, flaming head is so damn good for burning skaven. She got 700 kills vs. skitch (also Sniktch is a fucking murder machine, he got 300 on his own, you'd think you want to engage the ninja assassin hero with infantry and keep your heroes away but he has an AoE that kills them too. On Legendary he'll chew up Malus and your heroes like its nothing). In a later battle with 1 stack defending a settlement vs. two full stacks of skaven (mostly low-tier trash), she got 1800! Got a sweet 2.5k slaves from that battle, all sent to hag graef.
- The Master hero can be quickly upgraded to be quite tanky. Weakness abhorred + hard to hit and he's got 70 base melee defense, almost unhittable by most things so along with his massive armor and shield he'll stay in combat all day while you spam him with black ark and sorceress shit. Then with the dark pegasae he's the perfect lord assassinator. Did make short work of sniktch on the rematch.
- I have to re-iterate how good the scourgerunner chariots are. Since they are a 4 model unit their HP isn't tracked between battles like a single model, so you can take ~80% damage on them and still be A-OK for the next battle. Also a quite impressive 49 melee attack vs. infantry at rank 9 (which will happen fast)

Overall, pretty neat campaign. Basically if you use the potion every 5 turns to get to -10, you're playing with the bonuses the AI gets (really cheap infrastructure and almost no PO penalties). Still really don't see any reason to go past 0 possession. You can't stay at +10 for any amount of time since no replenishment = just get fucked, so you have to buy the potion every 5 turns on average anyway. If you're going to do that its simply way better to get massive PO and -construction cost bonuses than a very minor bonus to one guy in one army. You have the cash to maintain multiple armies in lots of places, and you get both loot and slaves from fighting, fight with everything everywhere constantly.

Took a bit longer than I'd hoped to kill Eshin but its been smooth sailing, rolling in dough. Backstabbed Har Ganeth who were beating up Malekith. Richest campaign I've ever played.

E9C3C1E86A23ED8984E53135F92040E8C8AF2792

Bonus: The dumbest autoresolve I've ever seen.

DC9B6136C6282DFCE92CBFF695BA708DC98639A5

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Was surprised how good Campaign was after downloading last DLC, enemies field competitive armies agaisnt mine, large dinosaurs charging my Elven archers for exemple.Skaven backstabbing and ambushing when unexpected, surprisingly challenging... Seems the turn time was considerably increased too, got new proc + the last patch optimization, its finally first time really playable since release and turned an extraordinary game.

Last edited:
Ehh, AI is still very predictable and one-dimensional. They could really do with teaching the AI a few new tricks, like being happy to engage in an artillery duel once in a while rather than charge immediately, or sallying forth from the fort rather than sit there and become an arrow pincushion from archer units in their blind spot, or utilize the vanguard ability of units in any capacity (even units with stalk will just line up with everything else in the AI's army and you see a line with gaps marching towards you). In theory there are supposed to be AI traits like "aggressive" and "defensive" factions (based on the description in the diplomatic interactions) but I can't see any difference between them either in a tactical or strategic context. Actually giving the AI some variances and personality would go a long way.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
if there are 2 stacks in close proximity they can be commanded in battle directly.
I still remember how I had 3 stacks of Skaven army, and high elvens attacked with 4 stacks where they had 3+ dragons. + Teclis. It ended with all Skaven army leaders either dead, or retreated, and few surviving skaven units without leaders killing and forcing to run away all enemies. The problem is you can't select order of reinforcements.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Can anybody recommend mod that limits armies composition lore-wise? I am honestly tired of armies consisting completely of phoenix guard led by some elven level 10 schmuck.

Edit: isnt that a good idea to limit high tier units recruitment depending on general’s level/achievements/feats/skills? That would be so much fun I believe

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anybody recommend mod that limits armies composition lore-wise? I am honestly tired of armies consisting completely of phoenix guard led by some elven level 10 schmuck.

Edit: isnt that a good idea to limit high tier units recruitment depending on general’s level/achievements/feats/skills? That would be so much fun I believe
Aren't there mods to remove unit limit? If you can field a ton of T1 troops, high level ones are not that mandatory anymore.

tabletop mod and grimhammer impose army/faction unit caps,not sure how "lore wise" though.
Have you tried them? Which one of these would you recommend?

Btw, I am really pleasantly surprised by how playable the game has become with the latest patch. It really looks like a 95% turn time reduction for me.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is it just me or the town towers are on steroids now? They’ve just totally annihilated my whole elite army without any help of other enemy units. Region capital tier 5 without any upgrades. That’s fucking ridiculous.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
grimhammer impose army/faction unit caps,not sure how "lore wise" though.
Totally no. Overhauls are for cucks.

tabletop mod
Looks interesting, though should be tested. If it limits player and still preserves the chaos stacks with their enormous composition of elite high tier units that’s gonna be absolutely impossible to manage on legendary.

Thanks!

Is it just me or the town towers are on steroids now? They’ve just totally annihilated my whole elite army without any help of other enemy units. Region capital tier 5 without any upgrades. That’s fucking ridiculous.
Don't think they were changed, but some factions have always had more powerful towers I believe. An entire elite army being wiped out seems extremely ridiculous though, either a huge exaggeration or some kind of awful mod problem.

tabletop mod
Looks interesting, though should be tested. If it limits player and still preserves the chaos stacks with their enormous composition of elite high tier units that’s gonna be absolutely impossible to manage on legendary.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think I'll try this too. I've always felt the mid-tier units felt kind of left out (your initial expansion is all with 1st tier units then when you're economically good you replace them all with the highest tier stuff).

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Don't think they were changed, but some factions have always had more powerful towers I believe. An entire elite army being wiped out seems extremely ridiculous though, either a huge exaggeration or some kind of awful mod problem.
Exactly my thoughts! I don’t run any mods now and I did it thousands of times. I’m talking about level 5 Hexoatl. My phoenix guards along with avelorn sistaz were wiped in seconds. One hit took almost half hitpoints from sisters. Jeez that was a masacre.

Is Hexoatl one of the settlements that always has max towers? Some just have them built-in, they don't need to construct them.

The lizardmen upgraded towers are AoE flaming attacks, which will absolutely melt undead.

Edit: Yep, it upgrades its tower (and special abilities/garrison) to max with just the base settlement. Think this is common to all racial capitals.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Oh god, Malus' replenishment debuff extends to all garrisons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom