Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

High Queen Khalida: bring ME Neferata's HEAD! *fucks off across the world away from Neferata*

DUbjoGwXUAEJFfE.jpg

Tomb Kings are best faction with best memes.
khemri tv always delivers.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Fuck, beastmen are so fun to play with in battle. Completely different approach and one of the faction I feel CA nailed in the battle mechanics to be as close to tabletop as possible (bar the inane random shit like "lol half your army decides to go defecate in an elven meadow lol good luck bro").

Vanguard deployment, which is usually either a novelty or a one trick pony unit for other races, makes or breaks them and you can pull off really nifty thing with it! Minotaurs (and Gorebulls!) are hilarious and surprisngly solid, they need to be in order to carry your otherwise sub par roster. Centigors are cheap and effective cav, usually able to punch much higher than their cost (and die in the process obviously, still... it's something, I think...). When I force myself to play a campaign and mind you, their horde mechanics are still leaps and bounds better than chaos, I often find myself fielding otherwise useless crap, like harpies and still manage to get some surprising utility out of them!

Casters are also surprisingly nice, if a bit boring. Two free manticores per combat (lore of beasts) are nifty and solve a lot of problems without wasting resources, rampage is actually a plus, since they never flee! Lore of the wyld is also useful all around with summons, damage and utility. Biggest problems are their lords, Khazrak is powerful but lacks utility and ease of movement. Malagor I find meh. Morghur is pretty nice but he suffers from similar problem as Khazrak. They should really expand the roster further and give their lord that little oomph...
Can’t back this enough. So far Beastmen company is for me the most dynamic and exceptional both on strategic and tactical levels. Auto ambush makes strategic game feel very stealth-like, and overall fast unit roster together with vanguard deployment make tactical battles very offensive and dependent on sophisticated micro.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I got a good deal on WH2, and I just started it today.

I don't know why nobody seems to mention it, but the graphics look like a clear step down from WH1. The lighting looks completely wrong and washed out, especially in the New World.

Also, what's the setting that turns off generals' names above the army stacks. I hate it when a developer screws around with the UI that players are accustomed to between two titles of the same franchise.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Hold down Space. At the bottom of the pop-up, 'Floating Information' has 'Character Names' ticked, probably. Untick that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks. I discovered it by experimentation. Also installed the Darker Grand Campaign mod to fix the lighting. The blurry terrain texture in the New World still looks bad though, I guess that can't be helped.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I did not see this posted yet, but CA discussed more plans for TW3: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/fy11bp/just_as_an_fyi_there_was_a_ca_stream_on_the_26th/. Some highlights:
  • Overhaul of sieges;
  • Thanqol will be game 3;
  • Toddbringer will be fleshed out (I personally assume this will be with the Beastmen overhaul)
The CA Q&A from yesterday was lackluster imo. Other than 2 planned lord packs, not much was exciting. They indicated that reception for Malus was polarizing.

Speaking of Malus, the mod I was testing had a huge bug that I need to squash first. In sum, each faction was limited to one lord, as in something I did set the lord cap to 0. It was funny at first, but I need to figure wtf I did.

That was a vanilla bug for a time I think. If you based your mod on an old vanilla update you might have gotten that with whatever you changed

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
That was a vanilla bug for a time I think. If you based your mod on an old vanilla update you might have gotten that with whatever you changed
Interesting, I'll have to double check once I get a chance (probably next week, as I am moving). At the very least, I know it is possible to change up the buffs/debuffs and I recall seeing a ranged damage modifier I could include.

I am still trying to figure out how to slow down or stop corruption each turn.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Free Weekend and 75% sale on DLC until April 23rd my dudes: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-free-weekend-and-sale-faq/

TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II FREE WEEKEND AND SALE FAQ
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II
Ella McConnell
April 16 2020
Good news, everyone!

This weekend not only will you be able to play Total War: WARHAMMER II for free, but you’ll also be able to get up to 75% off all Total War: WARHAMMER games and DLC – check out our full FAQ below!

FAQ
WHEN WILL TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II BE AVAILABLE TO PLAY FOR FREE?
You can download and play Total War: WARHAMMER II from the 16th of April 2020 at 18:00 BST until the 19th of April 2020 at 21:00 BST.

WHEN IS THE TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER SALE?
The sale will run from the 16th of April at 18:00 BST until the 23rd of April at 18:00 BST (meaning it finishes after the Total War: WARHAMMER II free weekend does).

WHERE CAN I FIND ALL THE TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER GAMES THAT ARE IN THE SALE?
You can find all the deals for the first Total War: WARHAMMER here.

Check out all the Total War: WARHAMMER II sale offers here.

I ALREADY OWN THE FIRST TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER AND WANT TO PLAY THE MORTAL EMPIRES CAMPAIGN – HOW CAN I DO THIS?
If you own the first Total War: WARHAMMER and want to play the Mortal Empires campaign you can do so but will need to download this separately from the Mortal Empires Steam page.

WHAT ABOUT TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II FREE-LC?
All Total War: WARHAMMER II free-LC can be played during the free weekend, but you’ll need to download these separately.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I BUY ANY TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II DLC DURING THE FREE WEEKEND?
Don’t worry – you won’t need to repurchase these if you decide to buy Total War: WARHAMMER II when (or before) the free weekend is over.

HomeBlog › Total War: WARHAMMER II Free Weekend and Sale FAQ

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trying out the game, playing as the Empire on mortal empires.

Just wondering. Why does it feel like the AI ignores everyone else but me? Orcs and other hideous creatures seems to making a beeline for me, ignoring fertile land they can pillage and capture. Is the AI programmed to harass the player or something?

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Is the AI programmed to harass the player or something?

Yes. Take care of 2 things:

Power rating. Even what you perceive as "natural allies" will jump on you if it's about 25% lower than them and they have no other conflict. Even more so if you Reliability is low. Try and remain thrustworthy as much as you can.

If you think you're about to be jumped on by someone (eg they ask for tributes) you can cheat the system a bit by raising a cheap army and trying to get a NAP. Not exactly efficient but it can save your ass if spread too thin.

Additional advice. Don't spread thin. AI has lots of production bonuses, don't try and outproduce them in the beginning, stay put, fight as much as you can, farm rebellions for xp and get your High Lord level high enough to get Lightning strike and some of his/her signature skills (spells if mage, bonus for your best units otherwise). Levelling up and building your home province is much more important than getting more land. Depending on race and starting location you could either unify your starting province and then stop or simply just sit on your cap, pillage other towns and build up for 20-30 turns. Sometimes even more, eg Norsca. Stay put and grind xp, defeat all other Norscan Lord and confederate with them as you go.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Or stop being a pussy and start conquering shit right from the start on normal diff

Fix'd. Sorry bro, on VH/Legendary I call bulshit on that. How do you defend your multiple province with a single stack and no money for walls? Do you build Public Order to leave your cap undefended? How do you fight the 2/3 stacks + province defense VH AI can field with a single minor settlement, if you lack LS? I guess you can abuse ranged with some races but that's so gay I wouldn't propose it ever...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom