Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tower of Time - party-based real-time isometric dungeon crawler

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah the combat becomes really annoying the more you play. Still the game is not bad.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am playing Tower of Time right now and, even if I am fairly interested in the setting and history of the world, dialogues are so boring that, for the first time in my life, I am skipping without reading a single word.

I am at the third floor, please, someome tell me it gets better.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I got to the sixth floor and I'm still kinda enjoying it. The best part of the combat is the bosses for sure, but they needed to not be so MMOish. I gave Whisper almost 300% skill mastery and it's quite fun to use her, she does like double everyone else's DPS. I was disappointed with Kaela, I thought at first (before I found her) that she'd be the tower avatar and was quite excited about it, but no. I don't understand her skillset much and I'm still going with Kane, Maeve, Aeric and Whisper, but we'll see. It's also quite eh that she uses the same gear as Maeve. As for the story, I thought that maybe the more we go down, the more scared and disorganized the party is going to get, accusing each other of who knows what and that that would've been the main course so to speak. Huge missed opportunity imo, that might still happen, but I doubt it. My point of reference is how Kane kinda changes, he gets more paranoid and more zealous somehow. I dunno, there was quite a lot of potential here, even subversive/deconstructive potential. The heroes begin as valiant champions of duty, but the more horrors and unknowns they face, the more they start doubting the intentions of the others, and staple RPG/fantasy personality quirks suddenly become a huge problem they can't deal with.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, I just finished this. It took me far too long and the game is too big for the things it offers. I can say that the story was gripping enough for me to want to know what happens next. There were many players in the game with different relationships to each other, but at the end it doesn't amount to anything and some of them are just there (the Daeva). The ending drops the ball quite a lot and I thought there would be different endings depending on a few things, but no. The writing was surprisingly decent though and I cared about quite a lot of my heroes. Only Rakhem and Boron were kinda eh. I thought Kaela would have a bigger role, but she's also just kinda there. It was very sad when Mech left us. If you aren't interested in what happens next, I wouldn't really recommend this game outside of the first few levels. Nothing changes after that and the only impetus is the story. But like I said, it always keeps you guessing who is doing what and why, you are never sure who is lying and what is even going on. I was kinda hoping the aliens weren't real tbh and they were just an excuse to open portals to new worlds and for the mages to fight each other. It's better to create your own headcanon for what happens in the end because the actual end is cheap and bewildering. Either way, I'm looking forward to their next game because there was quite a lot of things to like about this one, we'll see how they handle that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I agree with almost everything, but I would suggest not to stop before the fifth level, because that's where the game became more fun to me. During the third and fourth levels I was getting a bit tired by the repetitive combat, but the fifth level renewed my interest in the game and pushed me to finish it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are definitely places where the combat gets more tense and thrilling, but once you figure out that Maeve can just delete rows of enemies by using a hand mortar enchanted with that triple shot thing + her explosive arrows nothing can stop you anymore. That's probably the most OP combo because I think every shot explodes (so x3 dmg) due to her skill. Even the toughest enemies (the pure empire soldiers) didn't stand a chance against that. I found single-target damage surprisingly balanced, everyone did around the same DPS to bosses, at least from the party I used (Whisper*, Maeve, Kane and Aeric). I wanted to like Kaela's skill set but I didn't figure out how to use it properly quickly enough and just kept Kane.

Speaking of Kane, his wall skill was one of the most useful in the game, I'd say even overpowered because you can always just encircle your party to reset the fight with Aeric's totems. It also funnels the mobs so they can easily be AoE'd down. The difficulty definitely relies on party composition tbh, a party of Rakhem, Boron, Kaela, and Whisper would have a significantly tougher time due to no healing skills. You'd be forced to enchant weapons with life steal instead of using the retardedly OP triple shot or 400% crit damage. I found speed and might basically do the exact same thing (increase weapon DPS) with the possible exception of being able to stack stackable debuffs faster with speed, but you have enough points to max both either way. There are quite a lot of bewildering design decisions related to character building.

There were some obvious missed opportunities with the story, it would've been better had the narrative focused more on the effect of the tower on your companions. You get some of that with Kane, he starts acting really paranoid and zealous the more you go down, but that's quickly resolved at the end with no consequences. I was also surprisingly invested in his relationship with Maeve. The aliens were kind of a shitty hook, the moment they were mentioned I saw the carefully crafted narrative net falling apart. If I have the desire, I might write a full review but eh.

*Whisper can do ridiculous amounts of damage with her enchanted bolts on single target as long as she can spam them and the boss has no resistances, I think I managed to get to 4k dps with her on a single boss fight, which is like 4x everyone else.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Yes, Might and Speed do the same thing, the only difference is the secondary bonus and I almost always prefer the cooldown reduction.

I absolutely agree that it would have been cool to see the tower deeply influence the adventurers, Kane spiraling out of control and becoming overly paranoid was one of the most interesting thing to me. I would gladly exchange half of the total combat encounters for similar paths for each character, with a couple possible routes for each one.

To me, the entire game revolves around finding the most broken ways to exploit characters abilities and strengths. One of the things I had more fun with was stacking skill power buffs and cooldown reductions on Aeric, to the point that I could almost spam the totem and the two summon skills. The entire screen was always full of treants and elementals and his summons were always responsible for almost 95% of total damage dealt and absorbed.

I think a full review would be interesting and, since Event Horizon is still a small and unknown studio, you could also use that as leverage to try and get a free copy of their next game, Dark Envoy, which looks interesting.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, Might and Speed do the same thing, the only difference is the secondary bonus and I almost always prefer the cooldown reduction.

I absolutely agree that it would have been cool to see the tower deeply influence the adventurers, Kane spiraling out of control and becoming overly paranoid was one of the most interesting thing to me. I would gladly exchange half of the total combat encounters for similar paths for each character, with a couple possible routes for each one.

To me, the entire game revolves around finding the most broken ways to exploit characters abilities and strengths. One of the things I had more fun with was stacking skill power buffs and cooldown reductions on Aeric, to the point that I could almost spam the totem and the two summon skills. The entire screen was always full of treants and elementals and his summons were always responsible for almost 95% of total damage dealt and absorbed.

I think a full review would be interesting and, since Event Horizon is still a small and unknown studio, you could also use that as leverage to try and get a free copy of their next game, Dark Envoy, which looks interesting.

Mind Control chick and the Mechanic (?) chick are the most fun.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I just finished this. It took me far too long and the game is too big for the things it offers. I can say that the story was gripping enough for me to want to know what happens next. There were many players in the game with different relationships to each other, but at the end it doesn't amount to anything and some of them are just there (the Daeva). The ending drops the ball quite a lot and I thought there would be different endings depending on a few things, but no. The writing was surprisingly decent though and I cared about quite a lot of my heroes. Only Rakhem and Boron were kinda eh. I thought Kaela would have a bigger role, but she's also just kinda there. It was very sad when Mech left us. If you aren't interested in what happens next, I wouldn't really recommend this game outside of the first few levels. Nothing changes after that and the only impetus is the story. But like I said, it always keeps you guessing who is doing what and why, you are never sure who is lying and what is even going on. I was kinda hoping the aliens weren't real tbh and they were just an excuse to open portals to new worlds and for the mages to fight each other. It's better to create your own headcanon for what happens in the end because the actual end is cheap and bewildering. Either way, I'm looking forward to their next game because there was quite a lot of things to like about this one, we'll see how they handle that.

One of best stories in-game.

Also very good exploration.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sadly, my HDD fried, so while I copied data from it, I forgot aboit ToT as it was pirated, so I didn't look for it saves frore deleting disc C copy, so I lost saves, just ckecked it.
The last point was I got chick with some kind of electric rods and some cannon, and was thinking about removing the guy with totems and elementals, because people on steam said you actually can do without him. Or without that chick with meteors and destructive magic.

Piracy is WRONG but pleasant thing at the same time.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/617480/view/2196013757120711775

Tower of Time Final Edition
Have an itch for fast paced RPG with new approach to combat and party building?

We have done some final polishing work on Tower of Time and we consider it 'Final Edition' now.

Here is the content of the last patch:
  • Fixed achievements on Linux -- now working properly
  • Fixed few very small bugs -- e.g. effect of the fountains not visible immediately
  • Rebalancing of the difficulty -- enemy units, items, skills, battle parameters as number of enemies, spawn frequency, frequency of skills used, etc..

As a result there shouldn’t be any spikes in difficulty levels when moving between Tower levels. Still – when you outgrow current difficulty level (by building a real kick-ass party) – we highly recommend increasing difficulty during the game. You can do it anytime outside combat.

• Visual upgrade of some skills -- one example below:

source.gif

PREVIOUS VFX

source.gif

IMPROVED VFX

Tower of Time is 75% off for a limited time. Give it a try if you like fast paced RPGs with heavy focus on party customization and tactical real-time combat with pause or slow time. It's not a lot of money and who knows, maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Join us on Discord - if you want to chat with us or would be interested in closed beta of our next project (once we are ready with it)

https://discord.gg/FBWCCTb

https://www.facebook.com/eventhorizondev/
https://twitter.com/EventHorizonDev
https://darkenvoy.com/

----------- ### -----------

If you like what we have created, our next game -- Dark Envoy -- should also be fun. It is much bigger in scope and quality of everything is much higher.

Below is the preview of one of our locations - your starting city:
Pillars of Tyr-Mora, aka City of Bones

172ec3c3fe20b041b77c54ce85820ac8a822001f.jpg

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Event Horizon

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wouldn't put myself through it again. It was ok for a single playthrough, but it's too same-y for another go. I should maybe write that review I was thinking of, they might give me a free review copy of Dark Envoy later lol.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I fail to see is there something special about this game lol.Looks and plays leike your tipycal unity made dumbdown rpg showelware.
It's a fairly long adventure in a single big dungeon, with "linear" exploration (if it makes any sense), distinct characters with varied enough abilities and enough room to try different strategies and combinations. Combat gets repetitive, but later levels are creative enough to push you through it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sci-fi twist of the plot is nice.
I expected it to be a tower, instead it more resembles spaceship (it's not but it looks likt that).
Also, I strongly reminded me the book of Russian sci-fi writer Golovachev "The Scourge Of Time", like if someone read it and like, decided to use it a bit lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom