Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

town of the full version

Anonymous

wat is the town in the full version?

scuse for my english am french

war3rd

Novice
quel jeu? pouvez-vous être plus spécifique avec votre question?

BTW, he's from Quebec, according to his ID, not France. Geez....

Anonymous

quel sont les places(villes) ou on peut aller dans la full version

Zli

Novice
Yep, I think he wants to know all the towns you can go to in the full version. Or at least that's what the Guest asked.

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi QuebecGuy, since I'm struggling with English myself I can sympathize with your being French-Canadian. Teudogar is currently being translated to French; but the translation is still in the earliest stages and will take months to finish, if it'll be finished at all. (In contrast, the Italian translation is almost completed by now and will soon be released.)

Now, as to the towns of the Full Version: there aren't any. Teutons of that epoch simply didn't live in towns or any kind of larger settlements. So most of the game's action will take place in the kind of villages and individual farmsteads that you're already familiar with from the Demo. Additionally, there's a Roman Camp (a great deal bigger than all Teutonic villages), several large noblemen's estates, a fortified castle on a swamp island, a couple of huge cave systems, a seer's tower, an abandoned village, many additional farmsteads, plus quite a number of forests and caves and some smaller stuff.

The game world is, I believe, sufficient to keep you entertained for quite a while. However it isn't particularly HUGE. That's because it's HISTORICAL, i.e., everything you see in Teudogar is basically true: All farmsteads, villages etc have been very carefully designed and furnished in accordance with historical facts. This made game world creation about ten times as much work as it would have been with a simple fantasy world; but the result is, in my opinion, kind of special, different from the usual and often all-to-familiar stuff one gets in fantasy games. If all goes well, it ought to give you a sense of history, of our ancestors' way of life, and, by raising your awareness of the contrasts, perhaps a better appreciation of our modern world.

Now, I'm aware many people don't care for history and don't want any damn info-/edu-tainment. If so, you should still be able to enjoy Teudogar. However, if your main focus is game world size, DARGHUL (the fantasy RPG I'm currently working on) may be much more to your taste, since it makes no fuss about facts or history, but concentrates on pure gaming fun, and it will offer a really HUGE (fantasy) game world (larger than Ultima7's, I believe). (It'll still take some time until it can be released; but I'm getting there.)

Anonymous

plz can i know the name and number of population of each city in the full version plz

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tandakor - 1,000 people
Hevrat - 5,000 people
Rome - 10,000 people

Hope that helps!

Anonymous

no the city of the game and the population of each city in the game

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
As I said, there are no towns in Teudogar (neither in the Full nor Demo version), since Teutons did not live in towns back then. There are nothing but small villages and farmsteads. The main locations are Herwood, Cattanford, Heremod's Hall, Usipians' Refuge, Tiu's Grove, Roman Camp, Alwina's Cave, Bruglow, Burial Mound, Marada's Swamp, Ortruda's Forest, Ragangardis' Tower, Teudogar's Hoard, Adalmar's Estate, Roman Squad with Hostages, Brandolf's Farmstead, Osmund's Battlefield, plus several unnamed larger cave systems, forests and swamps.

As to the population (spread over these villages and farmsteads), I haven't bothered doing a headcount so far. There are about 200 animated portraits (i.e., faces of people you can talk to). And there are about 150 dialogues, most of them rather long, with a total of about 600 kB, or, printed on DIN A4 pages, with 2 columns, in 11pt Arial: about 250 pages. Including slaves, the resident population is probably around 300, plus an open number of robbers, plus probably several hundred cattle.

Now, in reality, Rome had a population of about 1 million during the reign of Augustus, around the birth of Christ, many of them living in 5-storey appartment buildings. In Germania, the largest Roman-Teutonic city would have been Oppidum Ubiorum (later to become the city of Cologne), with probably a few thousand inhabitants at that time (plus several thousand more if you included Roman troops stationed there in your count). Real Teutonic settlements/villages usually had only a few hundred inhabitants. This was due to agricultural necessities, and perhaps to the libertarian Teutonic lifestyle as well (anarchy is a pleasant and reasonable form of life when everybody sticks to his own farmstead, but it wouldn't work if you had to live together in densely populated, crowded cities).
(As you can see from these numbers, a village such as Herwood would have had over 100 inhabitants in real life - not just double-income-no-children couples, but lots of kids, plus grandparents, aunts and uncles and so on, on every farmstead. Teudogar simplifies and reduces this to the main protagonists for the sake of playability.)

Regarding the Full Version, I'd advise you (quebecguy) against ordering it, because I believe the aspects most important to you when playing this game may not be the ones that have been most important to me while writing it. Teudogar isn't focused on quantity. If anything, it is deep rather than wide. It tries to focus on quality, historical authenticity, and game depth. It's not so much about how many people you can talk to, but rather, about how intelligently these people will react to you, how your relationship with them will develop, plus how well they manage to give you a feeling for the way life was in barbarian Germania in 12 B.C. Apart from the fictional protagonists, almost everything you hear or see in Teudogar is actually true, i.e., historical fact (and hopefully presented in an interesting manner). It lets you swap your present urban, civilized, tax-paying and law-respecting life for the archaic, anarchic, wild, heroic, superstitious and barbarian life of our ancestors of many centuries ago - and it offers not just a fantasy, but gives you the actual truth. That is, in my point of view, what makes Teudogar unique and enjoyable.

For everyone not-so-much-culturally-inclined, or who simply has different interests, I'd recommend DARGHUL instead, the fantasy RPG I'm currently working on: That _does_ focus on quantity and offers a game world a dozen times as large as Teudogar's, with over 185 locations plus 360 dungeons/caves, and a population of several thousands (including Orcs, Goblins, and all the other regular fantasy fare)...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom