Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

If you want me to talk to you just say so, I'm a nice guy

spekkio

Arcane
EV said:
If you want me to talk to you just say so

2r597qt.jpg

EV said:
I'm a nice guy

Moar like nice

mshgsg.jpg

amirite?

Why does she have that bag anyway? Isn't that GIGANTIC ONE ON HER BACK fucking enough? And what does she carry in that pocket on her shoulder? What kind of clothing actually puts pockets on your shoulder? These don't look like hardcore survival clothes.

spekkio

Arcane
It's 1st person = not jRpg enough.
Plus no kawaii cuteness AFAIR.

*Edit
link1
link2

So, Hobo: stop the lies, start the truths.

Spellcaster said:
:lol:

:incline: to Jonathan. This guy is seriously amazing. Though I can't believe the whore thing is serious, the translation team is just messing up with the dialogues.
The best bit was when a fly landed on the blonde's tits you could slap it off. They jiggled

spekkio

Arcane
Since Hobo kindly asked:
Hobo Elf said:
Why the fuck doesn't anyone want to translate King's Field 1.

Let me present you:

8) King's Field 1

In December 2006 John Osborne released his patch for King's Field 1.

King’s Field is a 3D, first person RPG similar to the Elder Scrolls series, but unlike the massive overwhelming worlds of an Elder Scrolls game, King’s Field focuses on exploring and mastering a few areas. The whole King’s Field series is one of those game franchises that people seem to either love or hate. Critics cite reasons such as slow character movement, hard game play- rife with ways to die, and minimal NPC interaction. Strangely, these are some of the very things that appeal to King’s Field fans. Items and NPCs are few and far between, but every one of them is hard earned and of great value to your character. Most people who have become fans, played through their initial frustration and learned to savor the quest to thrive in a decidedly hostile world, cut off from all support, where you must utilize everything available to you, just to survive.

This first King’s Field was unquestionably a groundbreaker for the Playstation system and even for gaming in general - using such innovations as quick travel teleportation points, easy left-right strafing, and a leveling system where the skills used the most are those that become the most powerful.

This patch translates the Playstation game King’s Field, which was only released in Japan, into English. King’s Filed was one of the release titles for the Playstation way back in late 1994. The game by the same name which was released in the US was actually King’s Field 2 in Japan.

Shortly after, it turned out, that John is not only a successful translator, but also a successful troll:

Edit 2: I just found out I inadvertently omitted one sentence from the final boss' dialogue... the one where the boss says who he is. Untill I find time for an update, if anyone wants to know who the final boss was, I'll send them a private message.

:thumbsup:

Anyway:

Screenshots from original version:

9t0320.jpg

s14xty.jpg

2hhppch.jpg

szcuoo.jpg

Screenshots after applying the patch:

2ezo7l1.jpg

2prelc7.jpg

And now, something for all those DB fans on Codex:

9) Dragon Quest V Remake

In January 2010 guys from DQ Translations released ver 1.0 of their DQ5 Remake translation patch.

In Dragon Quest V, you assume the role of an innocent young boy sailing home with your father, Papas. What seems to be the end of a long journey home, quickly unfolds into a saga spanning three generations. You’ll tame tons of ferocious monsters, choose your bride, and learn your true destiny in one of the most epic entries in the series!

DQ V was first released for the Super Famicom in 1992. It also became the best selling DQ remake when it was released for the Playstation 2 in 2004. Released again on the Nintendo DS in 2008, it also became the first official North American release in February 2009. Not only is DQ V a fan favorite, it is creator Yuji Horii’s favorite too!

Screenshots from original version:

mwr4ag.jpg

2liflg3.jpg

9bkf1v.jpg

t9e92o.jpg

Screenshots after applying the patch:

34o3fb8.jpg

n3r9k3.jpg

2u43jty.jpg

9iy2o1.jpg

2dspv2g.jpg

It's DQ people, most mediocre jRPG series like, EVAR! :)

Bonus images: SH - Shattered Memories on Pcsx2:

33crhbl.jpg

2z3ng51.jpg

Bonus image for Melcar:

wcn5eq.jpg

Black

Arcane
Ys series has many games and some of them are translated. Hack 'n slashes, though Codex would probably call them RPGs.
Some are worth playing even for their music.

spekkio

Arcane
Black said:
Ys series has many games and some of them are translated. Hack 'n slashes, though Codex would probably call them RPGs.
Some are worth playing even for their music.

Ehem.

10) Ys 1 & 2 Complete

Somewhere in 2006 one of the most retarded members of translation community, nightwolve, released his translation patches for Ys 1&2 Complete.

Later in 1998 Falcom brought to the original Ys game back to the computer, this time for Windows 98. Under the name Ys Eternal, this isn't just yet another port, it's practically a whole remake. All of the graphics have been redone in glorious high-res, with lots of nifty little added effects - you can see little sword swishes when Adol attacks, and enemies don't just blink and disappear when they die - they splatter and fall apart in a cloud of blood and dismembered limbs. The new character artwork is all spectacularly gorgeous as well. But the real appeal is just how expanded the game is. Instead of beginning the game in the town of Minea, Adol is washed on shore in the entirely new town of Barbado. There's a lot of extra characters (and a few minor subquests), and while it feels a little tacked on, it's nice to see the original game expanded. The overworld is now much, much larger as well, with a lot more to see and do. There are a couple of minor additions too, like having to guide Feena out of the shrine, and plenty of Easter eggs. Alas, in spite of the expansions, it's still quite a short game. And unfortunately, there's no voice acting here either. For the music, there are several new MIDI renditions, some of which are extended quite a bit. They're far better than the Saturn version, but still not quite as good as the Turbografx or Perfect Collection CDs.

Not stopping there, Falcom went ahead and made Ys II Eternal in 2000 with the same enhancements, and even more detailed graphics. Since Ys II is a much longer game to begin with, the expansions aren't nearly as noticeable as they are in the original. However, the battle system has changed drastically. You no longer need to worry about hitting your enemies straight on - ram into them and you're guaranteed to hurt them. Instead, enemies will blink every couple seconds and take a swipe at you - all you have to do is avoid those attacks. The bosses have also been redone to look absolutely amazing.

In 2001, Falcom bundled both Eternal games, enhanced the graphics on the first title to make them match the brilliance of the second, and released them together under the name Ys Complete, this time with a fully animated intro. While the plans to release this package in America fell through, a fan translated patch exists that puts 90% of these games in English, as well as enabling play on non-Japanese Windows systems.

Screens:

eqcah4.jpg

2iktj06.jpg

vzanm8.jpg

256ci3c.jpg

2ih0x2r.jpg

11) Ys - The Oath in Felghana

In November 2007 nightwolve released beta version of his some really evol people leaked nightwolve's translation patch for Ys - TOIF. Short after that, delicious DRAMA ensued:

nightwolve said:
If the sarcasm isn't already clear to some of you dumbfucks, I'm merely having a little fun with a conclusion I long ago made: Around 97-98% of Ys "fans" just plain suck... You suck, you really, truly do; there's just no way around that fact... Now in response, you say that I suck, however, you got all my fucking patches, don't you, assholes? But what do I got from you? That's the point: A WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF NOTHING! And in an ironic bit of a twist, I get the sense that a good portion of you really are pretty fucking miserable/angry, and it's queer... I mean, I have legitimate reasons at being pissed having lost all that money after the Felghana leak, add to that the overall miserable donation frequency since I'm stuck with over ten-to-fifteen thousand shits like you... See my plight/situation is understandable/tangible, yet you warez butt-pirating degenerates, you're letting a few of my rants get sand in your vaginas? Hehe, what is that all about my little darlings? Put a smile on that face for a change, will ya! =)

A modder being attention whore / drama queen / gigantic fagot? More likely than you think it seems...

Anyway, about the game:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is an action RPG game in the long-lasting Ys series. It is a heavily re-imagined remake of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. Adol Christin and his friend Dogi are traveling to Dogi's hometown of Redmont three years after the events of the first two games. Upon arriving, they discover that evil happenings are threatening the townspeople, and it is up to Adol to put a stop to it.

The basic plot has been slightly modified from the original, and expanded through the use of additional scenes. The side-scrolling game engine from the original Ys III has been discarded, and replaced with a 3D engine based on the one used in Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

Screens:

akzy3q.jpg

fyjow.jpg

9hnjlv.jpg

12) Ys 6 - The Ark Of Napishtim

In December 2008 some kewl Italian guys from figlidigaucci.eu released their patches for Ys 6 PC.
Probably since they are Italian, no drama this time :(

This is a direct sequel to Ys V, the last SNES installment of the popular Japanese action RPG series. After 8 years of waiting, the sequel finally arrived to the PC in Japan. You control once again the main character of the fifth game, the adventurer Adol Christian, on a new journey. After his ship was attacked and he lost his consciousness, Adol wakes up on a sea shore, rescued by Rehda - an elf-like people who live in a small village. Soon he becomes involved in a quest for mysterious treasure hidden somewhere on nearby islands, and has to face an ambitious empire officer who will not tolerate any rivals on his hunt.

"The Ark of Napishtim" is an action RPG in a fully 3D environment. The gameplay is essentially hack-and-slash: you can run around, jump, and hit your enemies with a sword. You have only three types of swords during the game, but they can be upgraded and modified by obtaining special items from defeated monsters, which correspond to certain elements.

Screens:

66x75v.jpg

16by83l.jpg

Just look at those beautiful, pointy, elven ears...

Bonus images (totally not pedo):

28b4g1e.jpg

5uld9f.jpg

Hobo Elf said:
Why the fuck doesn't anyone want to translate King's Field 1.
Maybe because its a primitive 1st gen First Person RPG on the Playstation and even its two follow ups are barely playable these days?

Seriously. I tried replaying KF 2 and 3 (Known as 1 and 2 in the US) recently, and they really weren't much fun at all. At the time I loved KF2 but it was "Hey graphically advanced free roaming RPG with graphics equal to Quake on the PC but on a 200 dollar game console".

Going back it controls poorly, the framerates suck complete ass, and there really isn't much to do other than get lost in one of the 4-6 different types of environment.

KF2 is a bit better, but not by much. Its mostly look for keys to get to new places to get more fucking keys.

As mediocre as Oblivion is, its much more fun than the KF games.

I never played the PS2 Kings Field game so it might be pretty good though.

If you want to retro first person RPG adventure play the Ultima Underworlds or System Shocks. They are still pretty awesome.

One more thing: Some of the games listed here have legit english editions (oh wait that would mean PAYING for a game..) out anyhow that run on modern systems or can be bought for one of the console system's game archival things ala GoG.

Ys 1,2 and 6 are all currently available in one form or the other. (Ys 6 is pretty good for a hack n slash)

Ys 3 had an english version back in the day for all 3 16 bit systems.

Now if we are gonna talk translations, how about the Win XP version of the first 3 Wizardries, or the Sorcerian remake?

Hell, any of the Japan only Wizardry games. Or they even did a modern Dungeon Master sequel.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Zomg said:
SMT 1+2 and Persona 2 are not playable by human beings. I am an occasional weeaboo and I say this.

I heartily disagree, at least unless Persona 2 Innocent Sin is significantly different from Eternal Punishment.

I rolled through Eternal Punishment in a week or so (granted I played it a lot) but had no issues with the random encounters. You can turn off ALL animations in non-boss battles, so the battles would usually take about 3 seconds apiece, load times for battle were non-existent if I remember correctly, and if you were getting tired of fighting random battles with a specific set of demons, all you had to do was make a contract with them.

Boom, now every time you run into that demon, they usually just give you something and then leave, no combat involved.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Captain Rufus said:
I never played the PS2 Kings Field game so it might be pretty good though.

I loved Ancient City for the PS2, that was my first and only King's Field exposure. The game was downright terrifying for about the first third until they gave you health restoration potions. For most of the time, any time I saw a new monster type, I'd make a cowardly dash back to the nearest save point, because I knew the odds were good that it'd kill me dead.

Very atmospheric, really nicely done environment and music.

Plus, in the first thirty seconds of the game, if you're not paying attention, the floor falls out from under you if you walk over a gray patch in the path and you fall into lava and die. A great way of the game telling you that all bets are off, haha.

Black

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:
Ys 1,2 and 6 are all currently available in one form or the other. (Ys 6 is pretty good for a hack n slash)
I still have Oath in Felghana installed and it's pretty good. And challenging. The word that the Codex has forgotten.
Waiting for the translation of Ys: Origin.

Black Cat

Magister
@ ecliptic

"if you were getting tired of fighting random battles with a specific set of demons, all you had to do was make a contract with them."

Yay, that's the key to enjoy any and all Megami Tensei games: Auto every thingie you can, like, Auto without risk, contract every thingie you can't consistently Auto without risk, starting by anything that can spam save or die on you, nya.

spekkio

Arcane
SMT 3 cares to disagree, BlackCat.

2wclfzo.jpg

This game is constantly challenging, enemies are varried and dangerous and auto-ing everyting will get you killed very fast. As you probably well know. :)

Encounters in Persona IS&EP are just tedious IMO.

laclongquan

Arcane
I can never understand the fascination of some boys and girls with those pointy ears. Boobs, tits, straight limbs ... I can understand. But ears? What?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom