Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

spekkio

Arcane
The terrain looks like shit and there are occasional sound and music glitches, but those are really minor issues. The game is playable.
Proper approach to emulation. :singlemantear:

spekkio

Arcane
Speaking about wapanese games, did anybody play Shiren the Wanderer for Snes/DS?
I've heard that it's japanese roguelike, whatever that means?

The legend of the Golden Condor... from village to village and from town to town, everybody speak of it - somewhere, beyond forests and mountains, there lies an idyllic Golden Land, the land of eternal happiness. Many adventurers have tried to find their way to the mysterious land of the Golden Condor, but how many of them have survived the impassable mountain paths, the dark forests and caves, and the vicious monsters? You are the wanderer Shiren, and the goal of your life is to find the Golden Land. Together with your best buddy Koppa, a talking weasel, you decide to venture deep into the dungeons that lead to the land, and to try your luck there.

Furai no Shiren (The Wanderer Shiren) is a roguelike, hack-and-slash game with randomly generated dungeon areas, items, and monsters. Despite being named Fushigi no Dungeon 2 it has no relation to the storyline or characters of the first game in the series, it does however share the same style of gameplay. The movement is turn-based. You visit towns and villages where you can buy and sell supplies. The dungeons are full of various traps and monsters, and sometimes non-playable characters you can talk to, some of which can join you on your quest.

A talking weasel? :smug:

nznjbd.png

fygx2p.png

292bo9j.png

140m81w.png

There is video LP on jewtube but the voice of this guy annoys me way too much to watch.

laclongquan

Arcane
Are you talking about Front Mission 3 which was released years ago and can be played perfectly on epsxe, or are you talking about Front Mission 5 with its English patch just recently released, and can only play sketchily on pcsx2?

Because somhow I doubt you can run pcsx2 emulator on laptop.

Suicidal

Arcane
If I was talking about FM3, which as you said can be perfectly played, I wouldn't be talking about glitches and shitty frame rates, would I? Yes, I am talking about FM 5.

To be honest, I was kinda surprised when I got a much better frame rate on my laptop than on my desktop, must be my shitty graphics card.

30~ in-game FPS (which is how it runs on my desktop) is enough to play it. I use a 1.5x speed hack and a sound plug in that doesn't fix the sound and music 100% to what's happening on screen.

I just hope that the game doesn't break somewhere halfway to the end due to some emulation bug that hasn't been fixed yet.

spekkio

Arcane
There is only one reported issue with this game on googlecode

Other than that, it should be fine (no serious bugs).

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I forgot about Front Mission 5.

Well good thing i still have my PS2 around in it's modded form.

lightbane

Arcane
spekkio said:
Fallout, JA2 and the like.

On portable consoles? :smug:
Have you tried Rebelstar - Tactical Command for GBA?

Rebelstar: Tactical Command is a turn-based strategy game in the same vein as X-Com, and is based off the Rebelstar strategy game setting. The developer, Codo Technologies, is composed of staff who have worked on games such as Laser Squad Nemesis, X-Com, and the original Laser Squad and Rebelstar Raiders. R:TC offers a similar style of play, and it may appeal to fans those titles and turn-based strategy games.

2inla0.jpg

jr4495.jpg

aekyuv.jpg

I played this Rebelstar, fun game but it's not totally hardcore, unlike Xcom if you do it right your soldiers can be assured they will survive (in fact, I think they never die but just being knocked down only, the only mission that was difficult for me was the last one where tons of mini-tanks and soldiers with rocket-launchers show up); it has also a bit of rpg (meaning the soldiers can be upgraded and select diferent skills).

spekkio

Arcane
It's not totally hardcore, unlike Xcom if you do it right your choices can be assured they will survive.
Clear case of consoletardation :decline:

I don't think "you you play the right way your guys don't die" is consolization

I played it a little, found it too easy. could be just the beginning, though.

And Shiren has a DS version and a Snes version (snes one has english patch by AeonGenesis, btw).

Jap roguelike = If your character dies, you lose all the stuff and go back to surface. Your character somehow escapes, he doesn't die forever. Whether he loses his stuff / levels depends on the game. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon ttake half your money (hub has a bank, though), and I believe Shiren makes you lose levels.

Usually has a main hub and dungeon floors are randomized, but generally simple. Character is predefined, but you may customize his stats.

Azure Dreams (PSX, GBC) is a good example. There's also some town building thrown in, too (mostly in the PSX version).

Zeus

Cipher
spekkio said:
It's not totally hardcore, unlike Xcom if you do it right your choices can be assured they will survive.
Clear case of consoletardation :decline:

You can't hire new guys--that's why they have to survive. There's no Syndicate-style limitless pool of disposable new recruits.

Zeus

Cipher
spekkio said:
'Cmon guys, tune up your irony detectors... :)

Haha, sorry man, guess I'm just used to that sort of thing being said in all seriousness. :D

deuxhero

Arcane
You need to list Fire Emblem 4, it has incest, perma death, incest, interesting characters, incest difficulty and incest.

spekkio

Arcane
Even will all this wincest, this game wasn't fully tranny-slated to English AFAIK. :(

Luzur

Good Sir
deuxhero said:
You need to list Fire Emblem 4, it has incest, perma death, incest, interesting characters, incest difficulty and incest.

what? i dont remember that?

EDIT: thats because i played Fire Emblem...2? on some SNES emulator.

deuxhero

Arcane
And FE2 sucks, don't let it effect your view of the seris.

I thought the game was fully translated, but the patch crashs at the ending.

Captain Rufus said:
So there is a Fire Emblem that hates people in a way no game besides Return of Werdna does?

JESUS.

You should check out the 5th game if you want that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
deuxhero said:

These are noble. Occasional sexual activity between pure blood isn't as bad as between commoners (as long as they are not a direct pure blood descendants, or pure blood itself just without title).

There's also incest in the 7th fire emblem (for GBA, called "Fire Emblem" only). Though I dont remember if they're nobles. It's a healer chick and her warrior brother (who can also get into gay sexual tension with the priest guy)

spekkio

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
There's also incest in the 7th fire emblem (for GBA, called "Fire Emblem" only). Though I dont remember if they're nobles. It's a healer chick and her warrior brother (who can also get into gay sexual tension with the priest guy)

It seems like BioWare is reinventing the wheel on this field with MA & DA. :(

Zomg

Arbiter
I think the ones I've played (FE5-FE7) are fine (I dunno about "deep", but "interesting") if you generally try to finish maps as quickly as possible. They give you a grade for speed at the end so it's not a totally arbitrary self-limiting conduct. There are too many exploits if you don't give a shit about how many turns you waste.

They all force you to play through easy mode before you can play in hard mode though, so play them on an emulator and download a save with hard modes already unlocked.

*One note though, they dump tons of completely unfair, unpredictable reinforcements on the maps in hard modes. You're supposed to be familiar with where reinforcements will come in from playing on easier difficulties where they're less catastrophic.

deuxhero

Arcane
Huh? You need a code to unlock easy mode in FE5, otherwise it's stuck in "We like watching you squirm" mode (though normal plays are required for Hard and Hector Hard in 6 and 7).

Clockwork Knight said:

Raven/Raymond and his sister are both nobles.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What's wrong with incest that makes it worth mentioning anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom