Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've played the first 3 chapters of the just translated adventure game The stories of Ihavoto.
zX3WNoj.png
6DzXPkU.png
J3yGhQ8.png
The story is about looking for pages of a journal and is divided into chapters. In each chapter you're dealing with a low scale investigation. During the first chapter you get an artifact giving the ability to talk with animals, which will help you during your investigations. You walk and talk a lot, sometimes directly to make the story advance and sometimes to get a clue, and solve some basic puzzles. The gameplay is simple but I can still totally recommend the game if you like low scale light-hearted stories.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've played the first 3 chapters of the just translated adventure game The stories of Ihavoto.
The story is about looking for pages of a journal and is divided into chapters. In each chapter you're dealing with a low scale investigation. During the first chapter you get an artifact giving the ability to talk with animals, which will help you during your investigations. You walk and talk a lot, sometimes directly to make the story advance and sometimes to get a clue, and solve some basic puzzles. The gameplay is simple but I can still totally recommend the game if you like low scale light-hearted stories.
That looks cute as fuck.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
http://agtp.romhack.net/news.php?date=2018-12-24+14:50:55

Super Robot Wars Ex, basically sequel to SRW 3

On that note, AGTP is redoing SRW 3 translation + using the experience from SRW Ex to make better interface

On separate Tweet the AGTP guy estimate that all SRW mainline game (that means SRW 3 re-translation and SRW 4) will be done by December 2019 or something
Holy crap I didn’t know Star Fox 2 prototype was translated.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
http://agtp.romhack.net/news.php?date=2018-12-24+14:50:55

Super Robot Wars Ex, basically sequel to SRW 3

On that note, AGTP is redoing SRW 3 translation + using the experience from SRW Ex to make better interface

On separate Tweet the AGTP guy estimate that all SRW mainline game (that means SRW 3 re-translation and SRW 4) will be done by December 2019 or something
Holy crap I didn’t know Star Fox 2 prototype was translated.
Better; it was actually finished and released. You can get it on the SNES classic, complete with digital manual. The ROM was also dumped and is currently verified by No-Intro. The digital manual is also accessible online as a bunch of snazzy HTML pages.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Arodarunaxfucxxyouspellthisshit sort of answers my question:

My early projects were blessed in that respect. I only needed to post that I wanted to work on BMW/Galaxy Angel/BBA and people showed up from the ether to help. Even my weird call for Hebrew speakers when I figured out waaaay later than I should have that Duel Savior had a bunch of it. The French in Kamidori wasn't so lucky, but to be fair, nobody seemed to notice that either until a couple months after the patch. Now though? The environment feels more hostile to fan translation than I can recall it ever being. If someone wanted to start a project today, I would have to advise them to keep to communities where they can stay anonymous. That deprives them of badly needed support and encouragement, but the alternative is being exploited and abused by companies and a community that revels in their idolatry.

http://tenka.seiha.org/2019/01/an-open-response-to-a-piece-of-fan-mail-and-some-related-ramblings/

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Arodarunaxfucxxyouspellthisshit sort of answers my question:

My early projects were blessed in that respect. I only needed to post that I wanted to work on BMW/Galaxy Angel/BBA and people showed up from the ether to help. Even my weird call for Hebrew speakers when I figured out waaaay later than I should have that Duel Savior had a bunch of it. The French in Kamidori wasn't so lucky, but to be fair, nobody seemed to notice that either until a couple months after the patch. Now though? The environment feels more hostile to fan translation than I can recall it ever being. If someone wanted to start a project today, I would have to advise them to keep to communities where they can stay anonymous. That deprives them of badly needed support and encouragement, but the alternative is being exploited and abused by companies and a community that revels in their idolatry.

http://tenka.seiha.org/2019/01/an-open-response-to-a-piece-of-fan-mail-and-some-related-ramblings/
Sounds about right. Won't somebody think of the poor corporations?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
anyone know how long tales-cless/phantasian productions has been gone? they were pretty much dead for years now but with them gone too now it seems like any hope of future 'tales of' fan translations is rekt

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
anyone know how long tales-cless/phantasian productions has been gone? they were pretty much dead for years now but with them gone too now it seems like any hope of future 'tales of' fan translations is rekt
If you're placing any hope whatsoever in tales-cless you're gonna be sorely disappointed, my man. He isn't just "Gone", he's "Gone, possibly requires mental well-being checks". Word is he deals with moderate to severe depression on the reg, to the point he's on meds for it. And that was before he called it quits. He's fucked in the head enough that, technically, he never actually got to finish his Phantasia patch; he released it knowing full well it was saddled with a game-crashing bug that had been introduced if you tried sorting the Monster Encyclopedia alphabetically. It's said that he was afraid if he didn't release then and there (patch it later, if possible), he literally never would give enough of a fuck to. He's not coming back, dude. The fact a follow-up to address the entire game shitting itself on an alphabetic sort was never released several years down the road should've told you that.

As far as anyone else picking up the torch on any other projects, some hope there remains, even after the suspect implosion of AbsoluteZero- a gentleman by the handle "Stormyu" had his own comparatively minor project for one of the other games (Rebirth, as I recall?) that was merely utilizing some of AbsoluteZero's infrastructure. It still goes on, according to him. Gotta say, though, I'm not so sure you've got a safe bet there either: the dude was only using AZT's infrastructure because they literally cannot remember the password to their own webserver (this is from the horse's own mouth, right?), resulting in the entire website sitting there, no updates for fucking years, making the project look abandoned or defunct. Even with being a long-timer on RHN, how competent could the guy be? Your guess is as good as mine.

Other than Stormyu, there are two other projects "semi-active". One I can't remember for the life of me (target game was one of the PS3 titles, though, so I didn't look into it super super close due to lack of interest in that platform), the other is by an obscure RHN member named "justin" with a buncha goddamned numbers after his name I can never keep straight. He's doing a ROMhack of the original SFC Phantasia, so even though that piques my interest I can't imagine it does much for you. As well as I can recall it is only a hack/improvement, no retranslation of the DeJap script will be done.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
If you're placing any hope whatsoever in tales-cless you're gonna be sorely disappointed, my man. He isn't just "Gone", he's "Gone, possibly requires mental well-being checks". Word is he deals with moderate to severe depression on the reg, to the point he's on meds for it. And that was before he called it quits. He's fucked in the head enough that, technically, he never actually got to finish his Phantasia patch; he released it knowing full well it was saddled with a game-crashing bug that had been introduced if you tried sorting the Monster Encyclopedia alphabetically. It's said that he was afraid if he didn't release then and there (patch it later, if possible), he literally never would give enough of a fuck to. He's not coming back, dude. The fact a follow-up to address the entire game shitting itself on an alphabetic sort was never released several years down the road should've told you that.

yeah, i know, hence the "i know they've been pretty much dead for years" part of my post. i was wondering when they had scrapped everything, including their site which i remember being up not too long ago.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
why would anyone want to learn chinese? korean i can understand cos it's good to know the language Yeren from Gfriend speaks, but chinese? no thanks.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
If you want to waste your time learning non alphabetic language, Chinese is the only one worth your time

In some way it also helps with Japanese kanji. I played a lot of Japanese SRW games easily because my basic Chinese allowing me to understand roughly what each things do in the me

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

He found a translator two weeks ago!
Sort of an anticlimactic post. I found a very qualified translator, and they've just begun. In the meantime I've finished playing through the game and finished up all of the required hacking.

• I hacked the text speed to go about 8x faster, so now it's significantly easier to test, and certainly less time-consuming to play.
  • I hacked the intro text to display normally. It was using some sort of ugly custom font I couldn't easily edit, so I just replaced it with the system text.
  • I fixed the horrible pointer situation. I found better ways of identifying pointers as belonging to particular files, so that should cut down on the guesswork and inexplicable crash bugs.

As for other things to do, there is still another image format, but it looks pretty difficult. It is only used in the game's intro, so I may just remove those images and integrate them into the text. I may try to increase the text speed from very fast to instantaneous, too, though that would skip things character portraits being displayed.

But for now I think I'll take a break. My next post will probably be several months from now with a trailer/release.

Endemic

Arcane
Any thoughts on the game?

If you're having trouble recruiting\promoting characters, or want to know what the Kingfisher does etc, there's a guide here: https://serenesforest.net/berwick-saga/ Be warned, it has spoilers. Also, the guide may be using different translations for some names.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
It's definitely worth playing. The only UI element that isn't translated yet is tactical hints for the final mission, besides that you can play just fine with the current version of the patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom