Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Treasure Fleet - 4X Colonization-like game

gunman

Arcane
Developer
This is my only post outside RPG gaming forum, although I'm also a fan of classic turn based strategy games. Since I've managed to release something to show, here is my so far insignificant contribution to turn based strategy gaming world. In concept it's similar to Sid Meier's Colonization, so far I've completed a tile-based map engine, a random map generator, and units placement and exploring the map covered with fog of war.

Project's homepage: http://treasurefleetgame.com

Last edited:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well visuals do look nice and clean like pre-Civ3 games. But can it be just as good of a 4X game?

gunman

Arcane
Developer
MetalCraze said:
Well visuals do look nice and clean like pre-Civ3 games. But can it be just as good of a 4X game?

Well, so far it's nothing, but my plans are to recreate a Colonization kind of game by removing micro-management in some areas and adding depth in others that original lacked. For example, in the colony management screen it was just silly to place unit types in various "areas" of work, such as placing a fisherman to mine silver and a silver miner to harvest fish, when you could have sliders to prioritize labor and let the computer calculate what is the most efficient production based on which kind of units you have in the colony. On the other hand, in the original Colonization much of the exploration was just running after those special locations that were giving a random event, it did not affect score or had a significant impact on a game which was settled in the age of exploration. This is why I think exploration should have a different dimension. For start I have implemented a supply system so you can no longer explore around indifintely with your caravel, or with send non specialized units (scouts) for years across the map. Units and ships must return to a colony to be automatically resupplied. This means that exploration must be planned more carefully. Also, special resources should return more output in production, but they only appear on the area directly passed over by an unit, this is why there are two layers of fog of war: explored tiles, spotted tiles and unknown tiles. I appreciate any comments or critics to this approach.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Much liking your random map generator, bro! I remember making a map generator in PHP a long time ago but this one is much prettier.

For start I have implemented a supply system so you can no longer explore around indifintely with your caravel, or with send non specialized units (scouts) for years across the map. Units and ships must return to a colony to be automatically resupplied. This means that exploration must be planned more carefully.

I think a lot of 4X games are missing out on handling logistics.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yes, definately. Sounds good. Only Space Empires includes it and even there its retarded since your space ships out of fuel can still move 1 hex per turn. Atleast you CAN create resupply fleets like in good old Pacific War.

Are you going to have a similar colony management screen as in Colonization? Or will it be completely handled by sliders?

And what about other European powers? What sort of ideas you have there?

Finally - warfare. Same as in Col or more units, HP system like in Civ4, actual tactical element or what?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Looks great, hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.

MetalCraze

Arcane
gunman said:
For start I have implemented a supply system so you can no longer explore around indifintely with your caravel, or with send non specialized units (scouts) for years across the map. Units and ships must return to a colony to be automatically resupplied.

You should make supply units as some later tech or something as they are not unrealistic or historically non-existent. Like supply caravans which could haul supplies to exploration expeditions or outer colonies and the ability for enemies to rob them. Would be cool.

Elzair

Cipher
It is nice to see another open source turn-based strategy engine. The only other one I know of is the ancient xconq, and it does not look like that project has been updated in the last four years. Is your engine cross-platform?

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Thank you all for your feedback.

GarfunkeL said:
Are you going to have a similar colony management screen as in Colonization? Or will it be completely handled by sliders?

And what about other European powers? What sort of ideas you have there?

Finally - warfare. Same as in Col or more units, HP system like in Civ4, actual tactical element or what?

In colony screen production should be controlled with sliders instead of by manually assigning colonists to fields or buildings. As for new / upgrading buildings, like in Colonization.

The AI players are my last on the list, fist my goal is to make it playable alone, with some native players, so I didn't make plans about interaction with other European Powers.

The units have a strength attribute, that will be taken in account when attacking or defending. Combat could destroy a unit or reduce its strength, instead of "downgrading" by losing horses and muskets like in original Col. The strength should be automatically restored after spending one turn in a colony not under siege.

Also I was thinking to add an attrition element to terrain, so a unit ending its turn in difficult terrain (desert, jungle, packice) should lose some strength in addition to supply.

GlobalExplorer said:
Artwork looks nice, and reminds me of Pirates!. What engine is this build with?

The engine is build from scratch. Using SDL for the graphic engine. Artwork is mine, too.

Elzair said:
Is your engine cross-platform?
Unfortunately no. It's a M$ Visual C++ project and I'll stick with that, too late to change it.

The next version (0.2) will include:

- path finding algorithm and Go To location command - done
- terrain resources
- colony screen with working production

Someone who could help with graphics would be most welcomed and would speed things up considerably.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You should probably make whole mountain ranges/spines there because it doesn't look too natural - having lone mountains only here and there - design wise.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
gunman said:
Unfortunately no. It's a M$ Visual C++ project and I'll stick with that, too late to change it.

That's a thumbs up. I was afraid this was another Java attempt :wink:

Elzair

Cipher

How many MS-specific libraries does it use? I am not promising anything, but I could take a look at it and try to port it.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Elzair said:

How many MS-specific libraries does it use? I am not promising anything, but I could take a look at it and try to port it.

Except STL libraries (stack, queue, vector) nothing significant. Variable types would need to be revised and you will probably need to do something with the exception handling as well. It's not a light task, it would take days of solid work, but if you want to give it a try, be my guest.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This looks pretty fucking dope. B)

Khor1255

Arcane
Yeah, I like the idea of the environment affecting the troop strength (possible even troop numbers?).

If it is anything like an updated Pirates Gold it will be a fantastic and long overdue game. I am not suggesting anything, your ideas look great.

Dnny

Educated
Just so you know there's a nice open source project which has reimplemented Colonization.
http://www.freecol.org/
It's written in Java and fully crossplatform.
screen-0.8.0-large.jpg

If your goal is to fix what you think is wrong and add your own touch to a col-like game you could try to fork it.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Dnny said:
Just so you know there's a nice open source project which has reimplemented Colonization.

If your goal is to fix what you think is wrong and add your own touch to a col-like game you could try to fork it.

I know about this project, but I don't work with Java, C is the way to go. Also, Freecol looks awful in my opinion, even the original Colonization for DOS looks better.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
gunman said:
Dnny said:

I know about this project, but I don't work with Java, C is the way to go. Also, Freecol looks awful in my opinion, even the original Colonization for DOS looks better.
Iim with you on this. Your project seems fairly prettier than FreeCol. Most FreeSthg are ugly as hell. I think none of their creators has ever heard about design.

Also props for not using java.

spectre

Arcane
gunman said:
Freecol looks awful in my opinion, even the original Colonization for DOS looks better.
Yep, don't let it go to your head, but your style already looks tons better.

If you were to expand on the original Colonization formula, that is something I would welcome - better diplomacy, more realistic trade, add slavery, and, first and foremost, more logical and less random combat system, I am sold.

I am not sure though about your changes to the colony management, part of me would like to have it more realistic, but on the other hand I am really fond of moving figures from place to place.

sheek

Arbiter
Looks great.

I won't mention Freecol, because everybody knows about it and it is nothing special, but there was another fan made attempt. It was called Landfall, it doesn't have a website but I downloaded it as an archive from the Civfanatics forum. It had a lot of good game mechanic ideas to distinguish it from the Civ style which I think does not suit this genre as much.

You heard of it?

ever

Scholar
Can someone please explain to me how deterministic combat can ever be more realistic than non-deterministic combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom