Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Treasure Fleet - 4X Colonization-like game

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Looks fantastic, best of luck and keep us updated.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Project ain't dead yet !

Version 0.2 has just been released.

What's new in this version:
* Colonies can be established (use key to build a colony)
* Terrain resources added in, figures are temporary, resources will be adjusted in later versions
* Colony screen has been implemented, with labor allocation based on available resources. The production of goods is different than in original Colonization, as it is controlled with sliders and the maximum output of a resource type is given by the sum of all surrounding tiles' resource output. Therefor it is no longer the restriction that in one tile you could only produce one type of goods.
* A-star path finding algorithm is used for issuing "Go to" orders (use [G] key to order the selected unit to find its way to a given location)

Use [R] key to reveal the whole map.

Some observations:
* SDL is slow like shit on older computers (on a P4 3Ghz for example). On modern processors shouldn't be a problem though
* Code is becoming obfuscated
* A 2-D graphic artist is badly needed

Screenshots to jerk off at

treasurefleet021.png

treasurefleet022.png

Planned for version 0.3:
* Load/unload goods in ships
* Create Europe status screen
* Buy/sell goods in Europe
* Implement colonist specialities
* Recruit new units in Europe

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Ain't dead yet. Working on it from time to time, when I'm in the mood, with breaks of months in between. Since I'm still alone in this, I estimate it'll be finished in about 100 years.

Since Imageshack seems not to be working with this forum anymore, I have used freeimagehosting.net with what it looks strange results. I don't know why some screens are bigger and some smaller. If you have trouble seeing the screenshots let me know.

Unlike Colonization, one ton of a resource won't take a whole cargo slot (here with a capacity of 10 tons):

dede2.jpg

6a64f.jpg

Working at the Europe screen, half of it ready. Can buy and sell resources (the prices for now are random generated) and can load/unload units and set sail to New World. Still to do purchasing new units / randomly available units, and prices depreciation / recovery with the influx of resources from the New World:

8e260.jpg

aef3d.jpg

3ae57.jpg

Wandering at the edge of the world:

a1d9c.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I like it. This looks very nice and I like the topic. The focus seems to be more on discovery than in Colonization.

Pirates! is one of my favorite games ever and I often thought about creating a remake. I made protoype estimates / the time is way beyond my possibilities. Here some things I had been playing around with :) http://www.global-explorer.de/20110910/Clipboard02s.jpg

I wanted to give you this advice: you need at least an artist and a programmer. Since I can only program I have given up on the idea. Well, I can create some so-so artwork but it takes me too much time. I think you are in a similar situation, trying to do it all on your own.

100 years is probably way too optimistic but I wish you luck :lol: Your UI looks really really nice.

Keep it up and if you should release a preview build - I would try it!

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Thanks! I have never played Pirates!

Actually it is not too optimistic. Indeed, the graphics take a lot of time, but not more than coding. The tiles and interface were made from scratch in a matter of weeks. The units could be a problem, but a couple of weeks of sustained work would be enough. The killer is the fact that I can't work on this project more than a couple of hours every three weeks or so on average.

Weren't the full time job and not having to worry about anything else except focusing on this project, I could dish it in an year or so.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Burning Bridges said:
The focus seems to be more on discovery than in Colonization.

This is the reason I have created two levels of fog of war. While the terrain is revealed in the 8 tiles around the unit, special resources and other surprises are only revealed in the tiles the unit actually travels. Also the supply system forces you the make a landfall and build a colony pretty soon as you hit the New World, otherwise the expedition will starve. Unlike in Colonization where you could travel along shore as long as you like until you find a perfect spot for a colony.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Anyone here with simple pixel art skills willing to contribute? I would need someone to make units and settlements a la Civ 2 as you can see. Some of the units don't need to be from scratch, just modify existing ones.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
You have private message (or whatever Conversation means on this forum)

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I have abandoned the project on sourceforge and discontinued the GPL licence since nobody was willing to help anyway.

I have created graphics for colonists and natives. Implemented colonists professions.

981ro.jpg

1y98y.jpg

Baron

Arcane
Sorry, it looks fantastic but could I be so bold as to suggest a small but significant changes?

Replace the graphics with a star map / space faring vessels / astronauts and cyborgs, rename the game THE ORIGINAL BLACK SPACE!, and become the official browser based game of RPG Codex.

Sell ship's weapons with PayPal donations.

Profit.

Borelli

Arcane
One of the things that bugged me out with Colonization was that units outside of towns did not need food, what is your stance on this?
In town view majority of screen is taken by storage numbers, are you planning to put some sort of graphics with storage numbers being on a side like in Colonization or is this your final say?

Lorica

Educated
Very cool. Do you maintain a site with information about the game and its development?

If not, would you mind mentioning what's new since last October and what's planned? It's looking good.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
One of the things that bugged me out with Colonization was that units outside of towns did not need food, what is your stance on this?

You can notice in screenshots that units have a supply level, and each turn outside a colony will substract the terrain supply cost from unit's supply level. Most of terrain will cost 1 supply each turn, but some terrain could take more (desert, pack ice) or less (coastlines for ships). The supply is replenished when the unit is over a colony, but only if the colony is not starving.

In town view majority of screen is taken by storage numbers, are you planning to put some sort of graphics with storage numbers being on a side like in Colonization or is this your final say?

I think it will remain like this. I don't have the time or skill for a lot of graphics, since I'm doing both the programming and graphics.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Very cool. Do you maintain a site with information about the game and its development?

If not, would you mind mentioning what's new since last October and what's planned? It's looking good.

I hope to open a site soon. Latest updates include commissioning buildings in colonies and adding ruins to the map, with the possibility to explore them for treasure.
After I implement some more building effects (for now only boost to some production), the next major update will be generating native settlements and start with some AI for native units which will roam the map.

Lorica

Educated
Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing a well populated map. Thanks!

gunman

Arcane
Developer
The list of naval units planned. Only caravel and carrack are available at the start of the game, the rest require some technological advancements.

5GdXNvH.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom