Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Treasure Fleet - 4X Colonization-like game

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Implemented building of roads, farms and mines. Here's how they look on the map:

DeCexNq.jpg

HRf3k2k.jpg

Next major version, 0.5 will add native tribes and some dumb AI.:lol:

A website for this project has been opened at the address below, where the news can be followed.
http://treasurefleetgame.com

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Sure, I'm planning to do that. However, there are a lots of TODOs left behind in the code while I'm implementing new features.

Here is the planned list of natives:

#ID,Name,Terrain,Culture,Diplomacy,Aggresivity
1,ID_APACHE_NAME,12,NOMADIC,5,5
2,ID_BLACKFOOT_NAME,12,NOMADIC,3,8
3,ID_COMANCHE_NAME,12,NOMADIC,7,5
4,ID_SIOUX_NAME,12,NOMADIC,8,4
5,ID_INUIT_NAME,15,NOMADIC,5,3
6,ID_IROQUOIS_NAME,13,MEDIUM,5,7
7,ID_HURON_NAME,13,MEDIUM,8,4
8,ID_SHOSHONE_NAME,1,NOMADIC,6,5
9,ID_POWHATAN_NAME,1,MEDIUM,5,5
10,ID_SEMINOLE_NAME,16,MEDIUM,8,3
11,ID_MAYA_NAME,16,ADVANCED,5,4
12,ID_INCA_NAME,16,ADVANCED,5,4
13,ID_AZTEC_NAME,16,ADVANCED,5,4
14,ID_ARAWAK_NAME,14,PRIMITIVE,5,3
15,ID_MURA_NAME,14,PRIMITIVE,3,7
16,ID_JIVARO_NAME,14,PRIMITIVE,4,6

The "diplomacy" column translates in how easily the native culture's disposition towards an European power can be changed. The lower it is the easier to make it hostile and harder to get it back to more favorable terms.

Jva1JSR.png

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Will we be able to sell horses and muskets to the natives? Loved doing that with tribes next to rival European powers in colonisation. Anyway, looking great!

In Colonization, selling muskets or horses to natives next to rival powers seemed like a good idea but seldom worked, the money worth it still. In the end the natives were always wiped out.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Uploaded a small video showing several possible interactions with the natives and the combat system. Since units have health points, following a combat units are not always outright destroyed (or downgraded) as in Colonization.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Status update.

A lot of time has been spent to refactor the code from Visual C++/SLD 1.2 to ISO C++/SDL 2, so the game can now be build for all major platforms.

Most of the interaction options with the natives have been implemented. There are a few more that will have to wait a little, such as direct exchange of goods or making alliance with a tribe. Next major feature I want to build is the economy fluctuation.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Guys, the game is almost completed! We have disasters at sea, pirates, and the search for El Dorado

I hope the game will be released end of this spring.

Beastro

Arcane
Game gives me an uncanny feeling of Cutthroats mixed with CivII.

Almost as if you made this in the late 90s and sent it into the future.

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, whoa. Judging by this thread, it's been a half-Grimoire in development time. I love the look, definitely will play if gameplay's solid.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
The game is currently in beta testing, the most important stuff left do (beside fixing bugs) is tweaking the difficulty and adding features to improve usability.

Here is the last presentation video and a concept art.

EsibTGy.jpg

gunman

Arcane
Developer
If anyone wants to participate in the beta testing, I can provide an archive with the version for Windows or Linux.

Some game mechanics explained:

Each ship cargo slot can hold either an unit or 10 tons of goods (goods can be mixed)
All units have supplies that gets refreshed when visiting a colony. If an unit lose all supplies, it will start to take damage until it dies.
Ships consume only half supply when ending the turn near the shore. Land units consume 50% more supplies in difficult terrain (desert, icepack)
Only professional soldiers and ships can gain experience after combat.
Mortars will not receive returning fire when attacking, but are vulnerable when being attacked.
When multiple military units are stacked, the soldiers will protect the more vulnerable units from the same stack.
You cannot control the diplomacy with other European powers, i.e. the moment your home country gets involved in wars or when the peace is made.
To arm an unit with muskets, or mount on horses, requires 10 tons of each.
Degrading relations with your ruler will make purchasing/hiring units from Europe more expensive.
Building roads, clearing forests, building farms or mines consumes 10 tons of tools from the nearest settlement (with the exception of inland colonies).
An inland colony cannot transfer goods from/to other colonies unless it is connected by road.
Any unit can build a terrain improvement, but unless the unit is an engineer, the building time is doubled.
To breed horses, you need to have at least 10 in stockpile. For every 10 in stock, 1 more can be produced.
If a colony is attacked, the units in the garrison will defend against the attack. If no unit is present in garrison, a random unit from the colony will be attacked.

Basic tips:
- Buy a carrack as soon as you can afford, the starting caravel has the cargo capacity too small to transport goods to Europe efficiently
- Many buildings take a long time to build, so one of the first buildings should be Carpenter as it provides a building bonus.
- Try to have a professional soldier in each of your colonies, and have a stockpile of at least 10 muskets. If you get involved in a war, a single armed unit is usually not enough to defend against an expeditionary force.
- If the natives are offering goods for trade, always accept them if you can afford, because you will always make a profit if you sell them in Europe.

Norfleet

In Colonization, selling muskets or horses to natives next to rival powers seemed like a good idea but seldom worked, the money worth it still. In the end the natives were always wiped out.
The idea wasn't necessarily for the natives to SURVIVE. It was that doing this made you money, and simultaneously caused them that much more grief having to fight the now more heavily-armed natives. Sure, they might eventually win, but it'll cost them extra pain to do it while giving YOU money.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
New version up:
- added country specific bonuses
- option for random starting location
- window for important notifications
- option for unit shadows for better contrast
- bug fixes and balance changes

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Clicking "To Homeport" crashes (quits?) the game to desktop. Funny, Dragos...

Where are the colonists at?
I sent my spanish ship to Europe and the game crashed 2 turns after.

unins000.exe

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Thanks for the feedback. The crash was fixed, you can re-download the installer.
If you encounter any more crashes, please post the content of debug.txt file.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
While I was playing with my first colony, less than 20 turns in, suddenly my English Soldiers lost the ability to attack other units. Apparently they lost their muskets in the jungle somehow, as they weren't shown on the combat modifiers screen either when I put them in the garrison to defend. I checked my colony and there weren't any muskets there, so I don't believe I took them away from them by mistake either.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
This is a hidden mechanic (but somewhat similar to the old Colonization, where defeated units were losing weapons). If an unit armed with muskets or horses loses more than half of their strength in a fight, they lose their horses, and then they lose their muskets.

Raapys

Arcane
Some of the UI buttons are annoyingly small at 1920x1080(e.g. EndTurn), and the seeming lack of shortcut rebinding is annoying. And is there a shortcut for ending turn?

Also, I put my ship to sleep in my harbor, but it keeps waking up again. This is sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom