Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tree of Savior, Ragnarok Online spiritul saksessur

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
tree-of-savior-online-art-1.jpg

Tree of Savior (트리 오브 세이비어) is a MMORPG game currently developed by IMC Games in Korea. The game was first introduced under the heading “Project R1”, where it attained the title “spiritual successor of Ragnarok Online”. Tree of Savior is led by the “Father of Ragnarok Online” Kim Hakkyu (김학규) who was a lead designer of Ragnarok Online from 1998 to 2001.

Tree of Savior is designed using self-developed game engines developed for “Granado Espada”. The graphics engine uses the same one as “Wolfknights”. Both these games are owned by IMC Games. Tree of Savior features a 2.5D graphics with anime style characters

Greenlit after 10 hours
greenlit.png

During launch, the game will feature:

• 80 Classes and 10 Class Advancements
  • 200 bosses, ranging from field, Quests, raid and dungeon bosses
  • 200 territories and 3 major cities in the World Map map
  • Variety of Items, item crafting and item enhancements
  • Unique In-Game Mechanics such as Keyboard Controls,Adventure Journal, Ranking System and more
  • Free2Play.
Some vidyas.

Strange feeling. Ragnarok Online was, in my experience, one of the most enjoyable MMORPGs with vast amount of builds and very unforgiving to mistakes. Yet microtransactions could put all fun to rest.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
I've been keeping an eye on this for a very long time. I played RO on an off for many years with my friends, so I hope this project delivers.

Machocruz

Arcane
Have had my eye on this since I found about it last autumn. Visuals have some old school Jap charm to them, like Ys, Mana series, etc. Classes look interesting. Never played RO.

Veelq

Augur
Any news here? Anyone got into the beta? Is it any good?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
According to beta streams there's not much of a mercyless grind RO was (in)famous for. You earn exp card that provide good chunk of exp but as they are awarded for quests they will eventually end and you haveto kill mobs. LOTS of people in the beta.

Mezebriel

Novice
There is another chance at the moment on their website for beta key for anyone interested. Although it is just pure luck for getting it as keys will be given at random and I think it wasn't comunicated how many.

Delterius

Arcane
There is another chance at the moment on their website for beta key for anyone interested. Although it is just pure luck for getting it as keys will be given at random and I think it wasn't comunicated how many.

Yeah, I don't think a lot of you people actually stood a chance. They just opened a LatAm server for the express purpose of banishing the brazilian community from more respectful locales, and, like, ten people I know got keys. This has got to be a HuePogrom giveout.

Poor hispanics though, they can't standout on their own. Hah.

Any news here? Anyone got into the beta? Is it any good?

I've played for the first 40 or so levels of Tree of Saviour. The game is quite beautiful and the soundtrack is amazing. In terms of actual content, the biggest changes are the new class system, a light adoption of action game tropes and a WoW quest system.

The class system is a big change and so far I think sort of encourages a plurality of builds.

Classes are spread through 4 archetypes - swordsman, archer, cleric and wizard. For every 15 class levels you get to choose whether you continue in your current class or choose to evolve in an evolved class.

For an instance, the Cleric at level 15 may become a Cleric level 2, a Cler/Priest (different kind of support spells priest) 1/1 or a Cler/Krivris (magic damage priest) 1/1. Each of these choices come with extra abilities and allows you to invest more points in the spells you already have. Every class change is about whether you want to further develop the abilities you already have or if new abilities, as advertised, complement your chosen playstyle. Its less complicated than it sounds.

The combat system itself is more actiony than in RO. You'll be avoiding and blocking enemy attacks by moving around a lot. I myself had a great deal of fun as a Cleric, since healing magic isn't just spamming Heal on your allies, you cast sigils on the ground for protective shields and healing.

Of course, I've only seen a fraction of the character system so far, so your mileage may vary.

It's still going to be an insufferable grindfest, isn't it?

The WoW quest system does its job well. It breaks the unberable grind of RO into digestible chunks. Some of my friends feel that overall, there'll be as much as a grind in ToS as in RO. I think they are misremembering standard RO experience, things are much quicker in ToS so far, probably due to how a quest system in itself demands that the developer create enough of a 'story' for you to experience.

The questing experience itself is what you'd expect: lots of do X seven times quests with boss monsters in between to keep party play more interesting.

In case you want to know, there is currently a way to reset stats and ability points. However, it is unlikely to transition into the full game. Unless its a cash shop thing. Speaking of that, business model seems to be about convenience and cosmetic cash shop.

Overall, I think the game has potential and I'm having a lot of fun with my friends online.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I still remember using a bot to grind myself levels. I think I used a priest, some undead damage spell and my char went inside a cave. In and out, collecting only valuable items.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Yeah, I don't think a lot of you people actually stood a chance. They just opened a LatAm server for the express purpose of banishing the brazilian community from more respectful locales, and, like, ten people I know got keys. This has got to be a HuePogrom giveout.

Poor hispanics though, they can't standout on their own. Hah.

I've played for the first 40 or so levels of Tree of Saviour. The game is quite beautiful and the soundtrack is amazing. In terms of actual content, the biggest changes are the new class system, a light adoption of action game tropes and a WoW quest system.

The class system is a big change and so far I think sort of encourages a plurality of builds.

Classes are spread through 4 archetypes - swordsman, archer, cleric and wizard. For every 15 class levels you get to choose whether you continue in your current class or choose to evolve in an evolved class.

For an instance, the Cleric at level 15 may become a Cleric level 2, a Cler/Priest (different kind of support spells priest) 1/1 or a Cler/Krivris (magic damage priest) 1/1. Each of these choices come with extra abilities and allows you to invest more points in the spells you already have. Every class change is about whether you want to further develop the abilities you already have or if new abilities, as advertised, complement your chosen playstyle. Its less complicated than it sounds.

The combat system itself is more actiony than in RO. You'll be avoiding and blocking enemy attacks by moving around a lot. I myself had a great deal of fun as a Cleric, since healing magic isn't just spamming Heal on your allies, you cast sigils on the ground for protective shields and healing.

Of course, I've only seen a fraction of the character system so far, so your mileage may vary.

The WoW quest system does its job well. It breaks the unberable grind of RO into digestible chunks. Some of my friends feel that overall, there'll be as much as a grind in ToS as in RO. I think they are misremembering standard RO experience, things are much quicker in ToS so far, probably due to how a quest system in itself demands that the developer create enough of a 'story' for you to experience.

The questing experience itself is what you'd expect: lots of do X seven times quests with boss monsters in between to keep party play more interesting.

In case you want to know, there is currently a way to reset stats and ability points. However, it is unlikely to transition into the full game. Unless its a cash shop thing. Speaking of that, business model seems to be about convenience and cosmetic cash shop.

Overall, I think the game has potential and I'm having a lot of fun with my friends online.

does the game feature anything wow didn't?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
WoW is the Alpha and the Omega. It features everything.
incorrect. teso had treasure chests with random loot iirc and even if wow also had that it was much less frequent and in the last few addons they were removed completely. worm online gives you the ability to change the world by building shit, while wow's world is static as fuck.

Machocruz

Arcane
Played up until lvl 10 as a Wizard. I like that it is basically Secret of Mana/Ys online (never played RO). The moment to moment gameplay is more enjoyable than the typical MMO, my time isn't wasted moving across wide expanses of land, I like the focused design that the game has provided so far. Looks great, spell effect feedback is meaty. Partying was confusing. I was being teleported around, I saw everyone else's quest list but not my own, sometimes I would wind up off screen watching the others fight. The "story" lead me to a mine area where enemies jumped up several levels. I didn't see anything in the way of sidequests so I assume I just have to grind mobs. Since the combat is action based, I can survive higher level encounters but the low damage output and spell cooldowns make it a tedious kiting affair.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I didn't see anything in the way of sidequests so I assume I just have to grind mobs.
Believe it or not, the vast majority of sidequests belong to NPCs without exclamation points on their heads. You'll be below the curve if you don't talk to everyone.
saw everyone else's quest list but not my own, sometimes I would wind up off screen watching the others fight.
Partying and such is heavily bugged atm. Other people's quest lists don't update, sending messages don't work and the teleporting to group fights sometimes bug out.

Machocruz

Arcane
Believe it or not, the vast majority of sidequests belong to NPCs without exclamation points on their heads. You'll be below the curve if you don't talk to everyone.

I thought as much. I talked to a 'refugee' and an 'old man' in town, but they gave up nothing. I was just rushing through content to get some screenshots and get a general feel for the game. I haven't even visited any shops yet.

Plus I've been playing on a vanilla WoW server, so I'm carrying over habits from that game.

Mezebriel

Novice
Actually I managed to aquire 2 keys so the chance was not that low.

At the moment I duo the whole game as tank warrior with archer. Level 63 out of 600 as for now so not that far in but still I saw a small part of the game.
The further are you in the more grind is required of you. The balance between classes is completly off as my archer duo partner does not that much more dmg than me. Quest bosses are huge hp bloats taking ages to kill and posing almost no threat. As said above it resembles legend of mana more than ragnarok online. Nontheless I still think its quite enjoyable and good looking mmo.
There is also starting open beta in korea soon so propably international too.

Sjukob

Arcane
Ok , this looks interesting enough , will be tracking it from now on .

I've got some question for those who have played it also .

1) Is there an open world pvp or battlegrounds ?

2) Are there any serious issues with the game at the moment , besides balance of course ?

3) What about developers ? Are they alright ? Have they done anything stupid already ?

4) How hard is the game ? Does it require you to group with people often ?

5) Are there any world events ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom