Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Trials of a Scamcion – Steam

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Myobi, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Trials of a Scamcion – Steam​

Since I’ve step foot on the Greed Monger juicy thread I’ve been wanting to make a thread about Trials of Ascension, but I’ve been to lazy to re-cap this entire shit show, however, today is the day! Hell, where do I even start? Oh, I know! Marty, we have to go back, to 2001!

When Don Danielson (Brax) and his team “Shadow Pool”, registered the domain and announced what was supposedly going to be most innovating MMORPG ever, Trials of Ascension! It was pretty much the kind of video game where you can do whatever the fuck you want to do, you have a bazillion races to pick from, you can be a pixie, a dragon, a human, a gay ass golden fish, it doesn’t matter, because when imagination is the limit, as long as you don’t run out of toilet paper to write on, it is whatever the hell you want it to be.

Sadly, who knew that you need to know anything about game development at all to make an MMORPG, after going trough multiple game engines only to realize that shit was a little more complicated than using RPG Maker, the community started asking for proof that the project was more than just vaporware, however instead of proof, the “led-developer” Brax provided them with the dire news that despite getting multiple funding offers from big companies, all of them supposedly came with the price of turning Trials of Ascension into some sort of World of Warcraft clone, something that they just couldn’t accept, thus around 2008 the project was shut down without having anything to show for due the lack of capital.

In 2012, Trials of Ascension made it’s come back! Can you guess why? Golden age of crowdfunding! If a random guy can get 55,000$ for a potato salad, why wouldn’t the most innovating MMORPG be also showered with free money, am I right? Under the new team name “Forged Chaos”, Brax quickly launched his first Kickstarter:

Surprisingly, just concept art alone wasn’t enough to get those juicy free dolla dolla from backers.

[​IMG]

You see, the problem is (spoiler alert) that despite going around claiming to have experience in game development, the truth is that none of them knew jack-shit about it, they couldn’t even code a basic calculator even if their life's depended on it, let alone at least a demo for a MMORPG, therefore it was time for Plan B:

The Trials of Ascension Store! To sum it up, it’s basically a Store that used to sell inexistent items & services for an inexistent video game, that according to the “Backers Agreement” it wasn’t even really a Store at all, it was a complex donation system with rewards! Thus, regardless the amount money you threw at it, you weren’t really owed shit for it. Over 60,000$ later they finally hired someone who could program, Teddy, who was given the task of creating a technical demo in order to give that juicy Kickstarter a second go… but as it turns out, those 60k must have burned up pretty quickly, ending up with Teddy leaving right before the launch of the new Kickstarter campaign, and despite of not even knowing how to turn on the god damn servers, they still went ahead with it:

It turned out as expected, a fucking catastrophe, still this is when shit starts getting fun, as some fairly generous backers started calling them on their incompetence, and as some more member of the team left, such as one of the “team leaders” Xanward , leaving us articles such as this:

This is the moment when Forged Chaos jumps into damage control, giving us some threads of pure gold:

As that didn’t worked out to well, they started censoring shit little by little, it started slowly by locking every thread where the community was discussing their failure:

[​IMG]

But that wasn’t enough, new people could still pass by and see that entire shit show, thus they purged most of the forum, deleting anything that they deemed negative towards the project:

[​IMG]

As you may guess though, it doesn’t end here, why should it? I mean, why do you even need cash, when you can get people working for you for free!?! That’s fucking right, this was the moment they arrived to the brilliant conclusion that maybe, just maybe! A fucking MMORPG was a tad little bit overreaching, therefore the project was scaled down from a MMORPG to a yet another sandbox survival game, and trough the help of a countless “volunteers” (trust me, I tried counting them up, but so many of them joined just to bail right after through the years that I just gave up) they started building up something to throw at the Steam Store, with the objective of making enough money to go back to the MMORPG version, that said, as long as you claimed to know anything about game development and were crazy enough to work for free, welcome aboard!

This bring us the present day, after years of a snail-paced development, a true master piece was finally born: https://store.steampowered.com/app/893870/Trials_of_Ascension_Exile/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This pretty much sums the basics up, however there is still some information that I would like to share and some points that I would like to highlight about this project, let’s start with the scam part, shall we? What’s a scam?

Let’s go trough that post from the led-developer again, shall we:

Source: http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg570/MyobiPT/Trials of Ascension/Forum Posts n Threads/image.jpg

Those claims are pretty big for someone who is accepting others people money in order to accomplish a video game, they also go against what is stated AFTER both Kickstarters and the Store closed up:

Source 1: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...ZvcnVtIFBvc3RzIG4gVGhyZWFkcy8xNi5qcGc=/?ref=1

Source 2: https://web.archive.org/web/2015050...ads/to-our-fans-both-present-and-future.4710/

Brax misled and bluntly lied to his community about his professional experience, while accepting their money through Kickstarter and a self-made donation system to develop a product that he was fully aware that at the time no one in his team had the skills to even start developing. By definition, this project is/was a scam.

That said, I want to remind you that sadly due their forum clean up, there is a lot that has been lost. I took multiple screen shots of the shit revolving around the development of this game, unfortunately it has been so many years that what I kept in my hard drive has been long lost, and lot of the content I've upload to photobucket got messed up with some sort of changes made to the website, making the pictures of full threads completely unreadable due the resolution.... luckily, we have the Way Back Machine and some scraps of what I've uploaded!

Let's start with Teddy's post on the entire issue after he left:

The answer to a question of a community on how the funds were being distributed trough the project (at least is was a believable answer?):

[​IMG]

Lil Note: Many members of the ToA community blamed "trolls" (members of the forum MMO-Champion forum that were discussing the project there.) for the failure of both Kickstarters, thus why I've waited a couple of months after it's release to make this thread. According to https://steamcharts.com/app/893870, the game had an average of 4.1 players online the last 30 days... go figure.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    I still don't understand why anyone would "back" anything given that they never offer anything like, oh, say, an actual return on investment. What do *I* get for investing in YOUR product? Why should I give MY money to make YOU rich? Asking for donations when you're making a free product is one thing, but if it's a commercial product intended to produce profit for you, what's in it for me?

• it is a mystery x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    For the same reason that people would “volunteer” to work in a indie game where the 3 “led-developers” can’t program, model, animate or back up the project financially, because they are just “designers” at heart, meaning they will just sit there and tell you how they want shit done…

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AMG Arbiter

AMG
    You get a game that you'd presumably like to play, which wouldn't be made otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    You MIGHT get a game that you'd presumably like to play.

It's a pretty risky deal for the backer, unless it's a company that proven to be trustworthy, and you really want to support it, I just wouldn't recommend.

^ Top  
  6. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    That is ridiculous.
    What are 20-30$ for the chance to get a good game? Not much.
    Worst case: You lose 20-30$ for nothing. *shrug* But even then you sometimes get sweet drama.
    Best case: You get a game you like for cheaper than normal.

Of course, one should still look into WHO is doing the actual campaign and if they have a ... history ;)
    I probably wouldn't back anything by Chris Roberts again. Not because I don't think SC will ever be released, but because I won't back something that might not be released in my lifetime.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Didn't read the thread, but Tales of Scamcoin, is it about cryptocurrency?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    What's 20-30$? A fairly decent full scam-risk free game on Steam.

... and you don't lose 20-30$ for nothing, to lose them to some asshole who will be cruising around the world laughing at all the people who "just" threw 20-30 bucks at him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the awesome fucking games that came to life thanks to crowdfunding, I mean, I'm a huge fan of Divinity Original Sin myself, I would back Larian Studios any time, but projects like this one, Greed Monger, Star Citizen and countless others that show up making big promises without much to show for can just fuck off straightaway.

^ Top  
  9. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    ...Wait, you mean to tell me that I can be a 'gay ass golden fish' in this game?

Where the fuck do I sign up?

Interesting read and although ive heard of this game I had no idea it was this much of a mess.

- These scam developers seem to try and hit on a niche. The 'gay ass golden fish' niche is very under represented in games these days and many are willing to risk money to be able to relive their gay ass fish glory days of yore.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Myobi Learned

Myobi

I'm sorry bearer of bad news, but no, not anymore.

See that was the original plan for the MMORPG version, 25 races, each one with their sort of unique playstyle (I’m sure it would be pretty balanced on a PvP based game), however, most of it got scrapped, I guess maybe, just maybe, it was a tad lil bit too fucking much.

^ Top  
  11. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Welp... RIP.

[​IMG]
    Also, for those complaining about it being a long ass post, TL,DR version of it:

- 3 "game developers" wanted to make the most innovating MMORPG ever.
    - They had no game developing skills nor the funds to hire people who had them.
    - They tried to get the funding from companies, no success.
    - They started 2 Kick Starters, both failed (4% & 11% of goal).
    - They opened a store in their website selling non-existent in-game items for a yet-to-be-made video game.
    - Earned over 60,000$ trough it thanks to their small delusional community.
    - Hired one single programmer to develop the game... the money ran out, the programmer left.
    - 3 lead "developers" couldn't even find out how to turn on the servers.
    - Started "hiring".... "volunteers" to work on the project (now from scratch) for a percentage of the profits.
    - Steam early access release.
    - The "volunteers" were going faster than coming...
    - No updates for around 1 year.
    - Shut Down.

GG.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Bumpy bump time!

Apparently, this fucking thing is just like Greed Monger, it just refuses to stay dead.

It seems that this amazing IP was sold by an “undisclosed amount” of cash to another amazing team of developers, the same team behind the infamous game “Dragons of Ramrys”!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ykxfQCr-pTqRTly7UMJww

... and it’s already looking really promising, just look at it:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...784138051593/Hatchling_Roar_Test0001-0104.gif

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...599452921876/Hatchling_Walk_Test0001-0040.gif

I know, I know, just keep you wallets ready, as soon as we can throw money at it, I’ll warn you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)