Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All the better games were made more than 15 years ago. In 15 years, people will remember Fallout 3, Deus Ex HR and Oblivion as 'the good old games'.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- jRPGs are the future of roleplaying games.
- In 10 years Oblivion will be grognardian old-school.
- Dialogue wheels improve antiquated dialogue systems.
- Games need to be more cinematic.
- "Remember Doom?" "Yeah, it's that game with takedowns, right?"
- Demographic trends indicate that the future of gaming is female and social.
- If I play a role, that's already an RPG.
- It's good that devs spend so much time designing romance quest, especially for non-CIS players.
- New games improve upon the technical limitations of old games while maintaining their spirit.
- The point of a game is experiencing a story.
- Let me tell you about the spiritual sequel or remake to a beloved classic Ubisoft is developing.
- All classes should be equally useful, and they all should be able to stand on their own.
- Crafting is the greatest improvement since cooldowns.
- Themepark-like worlds like Fallout 4 are better than big, empty worlds like Daggerfall.
- What's a Daggerfall?
- Taste is subjective.
- Jews did nothing wrong.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Realtime is turn-based, just automatic.
RTwP is when the devs wants to go realtime, but stupid grognards force them to add a turn-based mode.
Ultima IX was the best Ultima game. :smug:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I just don't get why people play bad games like Arcanum if we got stuff like Dragon Age and Fallout 4.

vmar

Savant
2e67dd72418dfe4005624d04b069e731-650-80.jpg

Freddie

Savant
SSI Gold Box games are relics that are holding back the evolution of cRPG's. Final Fantasy and such series were much better foundation for cRPG's, if we only could let go of useless legacy of character sheets, inventory etc...

Expon

Scholar
ossian studios are the real future of rpgs and persona hasn't been good since 2

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
M Night Shyamalan made some pretty decent films. That one with Mel Gibson and the aliens and that one with Marky Mark and the trees were excellent.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You are expected to put points into something you have no idea about, and most of the time are a waste.
Most of the time it is bad. But some games do a good job of it. Blackguards for example has a bunch of stats that were all new to most people because it used a different ruleset to the usual D&D and yet I figured out early how I wanted to build my guys, and it worked well. Although admittedly there was only really one sensible choice for each class so maybe if I tried something creative it would have failed. But to me it was a good game with good stats. Dragon Age also had different to D&D ideas, yet that was still easy to figure out too and you could make classes more as you envisioned. Although again, it didn't really give any freedom, you could make a mage with weak spells but lots of mana, or strong spells and not enough mana, or a sensible middle ground.

There is one game however that did an amazing job with stats, and that was Vanguard: Saga of Heroes which sadly doesn't exist anymore. But will someday when the emulator is finished. That game had classes that all played in a unique way, although you will have had the exact same spells and abilities as anyone else that is your same class. But within those classes the attribute points offered quite a lot of freedom to build the character a bit differently. Combined with gear it meant the difference between building say a Bard as a purely dps class with high str, dex, that slashed stuff up good, or a caster bard with high caster attributes, or a tank bard with high agi, con. And with the right gear it really made quite a huge difference to how they felt. I started mine as a dps and he did a huge amount of damage but would die very quickly and was really squishy. I then rebuilt him as a tank and it made him feel like a plate class. Other classes could do the same thing too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Codex list of RPGS is made by noobs for noobs. Planescape Torment is for 12 year old girls. Wizardy 8 is really boring and mindless and repetitive crap. Anyone who plays a Diablo clone is verging on braindead and should just give up and play Minecraft. Hearthstone is proof that copying and idea and dumbing it down 1000 times is what modern gamers want. If you can't afford a gaming PC then you shouldn't be gaming at all, just get a better job and stop buying consoles that drag gaming down with their crappy 4 button Fisher Price controllers. Not triggering, just giving some truth as always.

Fargus

Arcane
You are expected to put points into something you have no idea about, and most of the time are a waste.
Most of the time it is bad. But some games do a good job of it. Blackguards for example has a bunch of stats that were all new to most people because it used a different ruleset to the usual D&D and yet I figured out early how I wanted to build my guys, and it worked well. Although admittedly there was only really one sensible choice for each class so maybe if I tried something creative it would have failed. But to me it was a good game with good stats. Dragon Age also had different to D&D ideas, yet that was still easy to figure out too and you could make classes more as you envisioned. Although again, it didn't really give any freedom, you could make a mage with weak spells but lots of mana, or strong spells and not enough mana, or a sensible middle ground.

There is one game however that did an amazing job with stats, and that was Vanguard: Saga of Heroes which sadly doesn't exist anymore. But will someday when the emulator is finished. That game had classes that all played in a unique way, although you will have had the exact same spells and abilities as anyone else that is your same class. But within those classes the attribute points offered quite a lot of freedom to build the character a bit differently. Combined with gear it meant the difference between building say a Bard as a purely dps class with high str, dex, that slashed stuff up good, or a caster bard with high caster attributes, or a tank bard with high agi, con. And with the right gear it really made quite a huge difference to how they felt. I started mine as a dps and he did a huge amount of damage but would die very quickly and was really squishy. I then rebuilt him as a tank and it made him feel like a plate class. Other classes could do the same thing too.

Can you shorten your post so it could fit into 1 dialogue line and be used with dialogue wheel? I don't like reading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom