Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
King's bounty is more a cRPG than half the crap games that get posted about in GRPG.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Making a top ten list of RPGs after 2010 is pointless since we all fucking know the exact games that are gonna be in it, down to the spots they're gonna get, and any attempt to make another one is just an exercise in circle-jerking.

That top 75 list that the codex made not too long ago was especially pathetic since you could just see the desperation that went in to filling out the numbers. I mean come the fuck on, Dragon Age: Origins?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 4 is the game Black Isle wanted to make if they had had the technology, skill, and intelligence.

Fargus

Arcane
Fallout 4 is the game Black Isle wanted to make if they had had the technology, skill, and intelligence.

I'm glad Black Isle kicked the bucket though. So that more talented and capable development team like Bethesda could take over and make Fallout we always wanted.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Arcanum is, by far, one of the worst role playing games I've ever played, emphasis on game and not roleplaying.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Next time people talk shit about FO4 they should remember we should be thankful to Bethesda for reviving a franchise nobody cared about.

Visbhume

Prophet
Interesting NPC schedules > good writing.

"Move around in real-time / fight turn based" is a jarring compromise that breaks immersion. Non-modal systems for the win. Roguelikes have it right.

Both Baldur's Gate (shitty static painted backgrounds) and Fallout (shitty tiresome turn based combat) were deviations from the One True Way forward for RPGs that Ultima VII represented. There are alternate timelines in which neither of them existed and crpgs are overall better there.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This whole article is full of triggers:

No Man’s Sky, Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are allies, not enemies
http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/12/12458040/no-mans-sky-star-citizen-elite-dangerous

"No Man’s Sky is uniquely able to put you on strange alien worlds, in first-person, and I think it does a hell of a good job at it."

"It’s got 18 quintillion worlds or something, and the few I’ve visited have been memorable. That’s enough for me."

"One of these games isn’t any better than the other."

HansGruber

Novice
Witcher 3's Quest Design is actually very monotonous: Ask NPC, go to location, find shit with your witcher senses, fight something / talk something out of something.

Kahr

Arcanum is, by far, one of the worst role playing games I've ever played, emphasis on game and not roleplaying.
:salute:

-Trump will be hindered by his consultants and won't be able to make something entertaining in 4 years. Then it's time for President Soros.:incline:

-Single character turn-based games make no sense at all and would always be better with a full squad.

-The characters in NWN2:OC are charming and entertaining.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Turn-based combat and stats are archaic and useless remnants from the pre-historic era when technological limitations didn't allow for proper and realistic real-time action. They were also a side effect of the developers' lack of creativity and talent so they had to just rip everything off from tabletop games. 80s cRPGs would be like Skyrim or Witcher 3 if they had the technology back then.

It is practically impossible to care about or relate to characters, stories and writing in old games because they have such primitive graphics and no full voice acting. How are you supposed to immerse yourself in the game and care about the events or people when they don't look and sound like people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom