Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I like both Fallout 1/2 and AoD, but I prefer Fallout's systemic C&C. AoD's C&C is definitely more impactful to the player experience but it also seems designed to allow for many disparate playstyles that railroad you into certain decision lines and deviating from that results usually in instant death. This is technically more realistic (a feeble diplomat shouldn't be able to fight his way out of a situation ever) but extremely inflexible and locks in many of the game's quest outcomes and dialogue decisions based on character generation.

As an aside, I couldn't get into AoD for a long time but finally beat it using a combat focused one handed spear build and it is now one of my most favorite games.

barghwata

Savant
I like both Fallout 1/2 and AoD, but I prefer Fallout's systemic C&C. AoD's C&C is definitely more impactful to the player experience but it also seems designed to allow for many disparate playstyles that railroad you into certain decision lines and deviating from that results usually in instant death. This is technically more realistic (a feeble diplomat shouldn't be able to fight his way out of a situation ever) but extremely inflexible and locks in many of the game's quest outcomes and dialogue decisions based on character generation.

well said, the only choice you really have in the game is what type of character your building, from that point on it's really your character stats that are making the choices for you, trying to deviate even a little from what the game wants you to choose will result in death, to some people i guess that's fun and that's a matter of taste, you can't dictate what's fun and what's not, but to me this completely eliminates the aspect of problem solving in quests that games like fallout and arcanum excel at and replaces it with a simple stat check.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Thanks, but it's not well said. I used too many adverbs and should have proofread more to create a better post.

eXalted

Arcane
I will say it once again:

The most quality threads on the Codex are the screenshots one and the "What game are you wasting time on".

Neerasrc

Learned
Dear Diary; GTA has several RP servers. GTA is an RPG game. I have to be a detective (wear clothes) and I have to embark on an adventure. I solve every business by talking. What about the Sims? Yeah, it's an RPG game. There are many options. My purpose is just roleplaying. Or should I act as a truck driver? euro truck simulator is an RPG game. I'm actually doing "roleplay" using a walkie-talkie.. Euro truck simulator is an RPG game. Yes, I've decided. All games are actually RPG. I think "RPG Codex" is garbage. What needs to be done is to leave here. Because it's unnecessary.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
We are the Infinitron. The RPG Codex, as you know it, is over. We will add your flooding and butthurting distinctiveness to our own. Your account will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

barghwata

Savant
We are the Infinitron. The RPG Codex, as you know it, is over. We will add your flooding and butthurting distinctiveness to our own. Your account will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

barghwata said:
26947.jpg

I refuse to adhere to your tyrannical rule, from now on everything i post will have my name and avatar right at the top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom