Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Troika co-founder Jason Anderson has (re-)joined inXile

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chad Moore; inXile Entertainment; Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson is the most low-key member of the trio that created Fallout and went on to found Troika Games. For the past eight years he's worked for multiplayer shooter studio Turtle Rock, creators of Left 4 Dead and the failed Evolve, and for a long time it seemed that the RPG world had lost him forever. The gaming industry has been undergoing many changes in recent months however, and it looks they finally reached him. Thanks to a tweet from Chad Moore, another Troika vet who recently made the same move, we learned yesterday that Jason has joined inXile Entertainment.

Against all odds, the Troika has been reassembled under Microsoft, albeit split between two different studios. Was this your plan all along, Phil Spencer? Jason actually briefly worked at inXile a decade ago, so this is a homecoming in more than one way. Let's hope he and Chad are working on something good.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hah, no shit. Leon and Tim at Obsidian, Jason at inXile, both under MS. Hilarious. Let's see if anything worthwhile comes out of it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't think we know that much about Jason, his contributions to Fallout and his ideas about game design, unless I'm forgetting an interview or something. Plus, Tim and Leon often talk about each other, reminiscing and shit, but I don't remember a time where they were "oh yeah Jason did that, suggested that". So it's hard to take this news as anything but meh. Unless I'm wrong.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't think we know that much about Jason, his contributions to Fallout and his ideas about game design, unless I'm forgetting an interview or something. Plus, Tim and Leon often talk about each other, reminiscing and shit, but I don't remember a time where they were "oh yeah Jason did that, suggested that". So it's hard to take this news as anything but meh. Unless I'm wrong.

Well, lots of what Leonard did, they did together so a lot of what we know is overlap.

Some quotes from his NMA interview

In the beginning, I supplied Tim with art to test out with the graphics engine he was building. Even though I was only hired on as an artist, Tim ran a very open team and everyone was encouraged to contribute. I attended all of the design meetings and ultimately I designed the way the art would be implemented into the Fallout engine.

The team was small at first, so there was a lot of diverse work to be done. I created a good part of the opening movie, modeled and animated approximately half of all of the creatures, including the female humans and the mutants. I also created many of the landscape tiles and wall sets and built the interface. In the end, I helped a lot with design as well, especially in regards to the story and the quests. Fallout was a great project to be a part of.

After Fallout Tim, Leonard and I went off and formed Troika Games. Our first project, Arcanum was made with only 14 dedicated employees - so once again, everyone contributed to all portions of the game and I again did art, movies, design, dialog and this time I got to try my hand at scripting, music and sound effects as well.

Next, I worked on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines concentrating on game design, level design and creation, sound effects, and of course interface and artwork design and implementation.

Ultimately, I became the Technical Art Lead on the project, creating a majority of the tile sets, 1/2 the wall sets, 1/3 of the characters, lots of the interface art, lots of the creatures, the opening movie and vault overrun movie and a few of the end game shots. Near the end of production I also wrote a lot of dialog and designed quests in order to make the game feel more complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Thanks for clearing my shitty memory guys. The NMA interviews were more than a decade ago. It's archived here if anyone wants to read it.

Shiieeet, he was responsible for the Fallout 1 ending, one of the best of all time IMO (spoilers obviously):

Leon made the comment that, through the whole game, the vault dwellers are completely xenophobic... I mean, why would they even *let* you in? And I responded, well, then we should just have the movie being them kicking you out.

It was so funny. Over and over again we said we can't do that! But we absolutely loved the idea - it was just so cool! So we went to tell Tim. Tim wasn't sure of the idea. He thought it would flop with the fans, nothing like that had ever been done. But he finally gave in (we could be pains in the asses when we wanted something our way.) That movie is one of my favorite parts of the whole game - the returning hero getting kicked out. Absolutely perfect!

Duraframe300

Arcane
If I recall correctly, there was an interview given where it is stated that Jason was primarily responsible for pulling off the haunted house in Vampire Bloodlines.

That part of the game is so incredibly overrated. Ohhhhh, a bunch of scripted poltergeist scenes and whispers in a house that people tell you is haunted. How scary!
To be fair its well enough done and paced, but in the end its just a linear romp that barely makes use of the games systems.
Yeah, never got the hype either, other quests were (imo) way more memorable for me.

Diggfinger

Arcane

Yes, you are wrong. This guy is a f---ing genious, but unknown to the general public indeed.

Read my Wiki to learn all that you need to know about JDA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_D._Anderson

*inhales deeply*
FFFFFF I'M EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!!!
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Diggfinger

Arcane
OK so Anderson's first day was March 26th, this news is litteraly right out the oven.

Will try to get Chad Moore on Matt Chat, he has an interesting background from Interplay/Troika.
Moore joined InXile this January (came from Carbine), so fresh starter also.

Fun fact: an Arcanum developper article written by Chad.
+ Arcanum portait that Leon did for him:
images

Last edited:

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I recall correctly, there was an interview given where it is stated that Jason was primarily responsible for pulling off the haunted house in Vampire Bloodlines.

Here's the presentation where Leonard calls him out for it. He even mentions that he doesn't believe Jason gets enough credit for his contributions.

I personally love the Ocean House Hotel. It does lose a bit of it's magic on repeated playthroughs, but the moment right before you retrieve the locket is probably my favorite moment in the entire game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Against all odds, the Troika has been reformed under Microsoft, albeit split between two different studios. Was this your plan all along, Phil Spencer?

Yes, this was the plan all along. Microsoft bought two studios just to have the Troika people hired.
And yes, of course, having them split among different studious it means that Troika has reformed.
Can you be more of a shill than this, I wonder?

InXile probably hired him just so they can use him for a bait&switch again.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The next announcement will be, after each of them is finished with their current
projects, there will be new RPG sub-studio formed under Microsofts umbrella, with
complete autonomy. With the only position unknown to the public being the lead.

As the mystery is unveiled, it is no other then Master Chris Avellone.
And lo and behold, a new golden age of RPGs dawns upon human kind...
But until this becomes a reality, I'll stay firmly barricaded in my iron tower,
watching the age of decadence from there, just leaving to get what I
need, on my expeditions with my battle brothers, in the underrails.

But for real, the track records from the legends of old don't
inspire much optimism. If they inspire any at all that is.
Except of course, you're just fabulously optimistic.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wo wee. I don't know why we are obsessing over these old, legendary devs. Every one of them has, at some point, made a masterpiece, and fair play to them, but name me one person who is able to produce masterpieces all the time. Let's stop being naive.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The next announcement will be, after each of them is finished with their current
projects, there will be new RPG sub-studio formed under Microsofts umbrella, with
complete autonomy. With the only position unknown to the public being the lead.

As the mystery is unveiled, it is no other then Master Chris Avellone.
And lo and behold, a new golden age of RPGs dawns upon human kind...
But until this becomes a reality, I'll stay firmly barricaded in my iron tower,
watching the age of decadence from there, just leaving to get what I
need, on my expeditions with my battle brothers, in the underrails.

But for real, the track records from the legends of old don't
inspire much optimism. If they inspire any at all that is.
Except of course, you're just fabulously optimistic.

No thanks.

At least not as long as Avellone hasn’t gotten over his midlife-crisis.
Afterwards sure.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Wo wee. I don't know why we are obsessing over these old, legendary devs. Every one of them has, at some point, made a masterpiece, and fair play to them, but name me one person who is able to produce masterpieces all the time. Let's stop being naive.
inXile will clearly stop making trash now that they've hired another has-been. It's only been a mere 15 years of nothing but garbage, but now that will all change!

Deleted Member 22431

inXile will clearly stop making trash now that they've hired another has-been. It's only been a mere 15 years of nothing but garbage, but now that will all change!
How many times these studios advertised hiring a veteran dev that made something great in a distant past? How many times said legendary veterans failed miserably? They are different now, these studios are also different from Troika. They had it and they lost it. This name dropping is just like hiring Avellone as a freelance. It makes you excited the first 20 times until you realise it never has any meaningful impact in the final game.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
After Evolved failed in such a spectacular manner, it's no wonder he joined a studio riding mostly on former dev glory.

hexer

All the best to Mr. JDA!
I always liked him, he seems as a man of many talents.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hopefully he will get the chance to work on something really interesting but it makes me wonder how come he went to inXile and not to Obsidian? Was Obsidian not interested in someone as talented and experienced as JA? Was JA not interested? Or maybe he just knows inXile is a fun place to work at (since he did work there before) and with Microsoft money on the table he can get as high salary as at Obsidian and more creative power.

Also, why do it now? Maybe he has some great idea which he pitched to Brian first because he knows him and because of the Microsoft deal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully he will get the chance to work on something really interesting but it makes me wonder how come he went to inXile and not to Obsidian? Was Obsidian not interested in someone as talented and experienced as JA? Was JA not interested? Or maybe he just knows inXile is a fun place to work at (since he did work there before) and with Microsoft money on the table he can get as high salary as at Obsidian and more creative power.

Also, why do it now? Maybe he has some great idea which he pitched to Brian first because he knows him and because of the Microsoft deal.

It seems he's working on Chad Moore's project, so I don't think it's his idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom