Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I... what? Searching for it didn't bring up anything, and I'm afraid to delve deeper. What?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spoilered for the still innocent:
rjuWNCE.jpg

EmJPf4Y.jpg
The yiff is strong in this one.

Riskbreaker

Was that thing meant as a joke, or were the gates of TDM community finally beached by the Tumblr-spawn hordes?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was that thing meant as a joke, or were the gates of TDM community finally beached by the Tumblr-spawn hordes?

How dare you to even imply so, you heretic.:rpgcodex:
This is one of purest groups... Well, at least on Codex. There are more good people outside, but we have few of bringers of incline of that community around there. And we can try to get others... I mean, most of people retired.

Garrettt

Educated
It would be nice to have creatures in TDM (not those ones in particular) but something more than just humans,zombies,skeletons and spiders. Thief had a great variety of creatures.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be nice to have creatures in TDM (not those ones in particular) but something more than just humans,zombies,skeletons and spiders. Thief had a great variety of creatures.
Would love to have more of those, but non-humans are tough to model, animate, voice act and get into the game, requiring a range of skills that are pretty hard to find. I think the fire elementals are mostly working, there were prototypes for a "belcher" (burricks, although they weren't as lovely as in Thief), and for a few versions, we had a functional werewolf, but it had to be taken out because it used the imp's movement scheme, and it would have to be reconstructed for standalone.

Generally, this is one of my problems with the FM community - too much focus on "realism" and not enough on LGS oddities. Of course, I have never built a creature mission either, so I am part of the problem.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It wouldn't be that hard to create creature sounds for a burrick. Just pay someone 10 bucks so he can buy beer that he will then drink in one sitting, and let him burp into his microphone.
Bam, you got yourself an authentic burrick.

Don't even have to pay anyone, just do it yourself!

Also, someone should do proper whispering haunt voices for the TDM revenants. Last time I played TDM, they sounded very generic, none of the cool creepiness of Thief's haunts.

One thing I like in TDM is the lamp robot though. That one is awesome.

Garrettt

Educated
We probably wont see openAL until sometime next year, it says in the bug tracker that it's for version 2.05 but 2.04 still doesn't even have a release date yet

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Also this new release is the perfect opportunity to play Melan's latest, which is his best with Disorientation if I do say so myself. :incline:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It's simply unbelievable how much the gameplay improved in this mod. It provides the best Thief experience from a gameplay standpoint. If only the sounds and VOs would be on the same quality as the originals.

That Accountant 2 mission by Goldwell is simply perfect. I did not play Dark Mod in a long time, but this one got me hooked pretty quickly. It is like a memory trip through what made Thief great - great story, funny guards, weird shit - it is all there. And there are throwbacks to probably all well-known levels of originals. Well done, time to play this some more and try the Penny 3rd one.

Beowulf

Arcane
W. Steele missions are also darn good. Give them a try if you haven't already.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Here is a piece of news that will be quite important for TDM mission designers: TDM 2.05 will come with a ton of new architectural modules which will be of tremendous help for newbies, and a valuable asset for practiced mappers. Modular building lets people assemble some of their architecture from premade elements which offer a generous amount of detail from the start. Of course, you need to use them imaginatively to avoid repetition, but it is going to be a great tool in an already broad and accessible toolset.

module-instructions.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
Finally got around to playing a couple of missions. The base engine is really, really, nice - there's very few things I miss from the original games in this regard, and being able to mantle onto drawers and into vents etc. has become very seamless. It's still a pain in the arse to highlight shit and pick them up, though.

Tried the packaged St. Lucia, and then the Accountant 2, which is a very nice thievery mission and then goes off the deep end with stupid supernatural zombie crap right at the end (and apparently that's where that series is going).

The default settings for guards hearing/visibility seem a bit too stupid, but that's why it's nice you can fool with them individually.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Also furthermore, the long-delayed 2.05 is out! It features the previously mentioned new architecture models - which will be a godsend to editors, particularly newbies - a new intro mission, further performance fixes, and a bunch of models.
We are pleased to announce the release of The Dark Mod 2.05!

This update includes literally hundreds of new high-quality models and other assets that will change the way TDM missions look going forward.

Springheel has created over two hundred modular models that can be combined to create multiple types of environments–tavern interiors, city streets, industrial warehouses, and more. By placing modules together, high fidelity scenes can be created quicker and more easily than ever before. http://forums.thedar…ing-assets-205/

Many of these new assets are showcased in a new introductory mission for TDM that is included in the update. This mission is the first of a three mission story which serves as our official introduction to TDM’s gameplay and setting.

You should notice an increase in performance speed in TDM 2.05, thanks to rendering improvements made by duzenko and nbohr1more.

Grayman has added a working fire elemental to our list of available AI opponents that will no doubt appear in future missions.

Other changes include a fix to stop sleepers from falling through the floor, new beggar entities, new combination safe entities, and fixes to stop the player or AI from getting trapped by moving elevators. A more detailed list of changes can be seen here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=What's_new_in_TDM_2.05

You can update your copy of TDM by running tdm_update.exe.

As always, older saved games will be incompatible with TDM 2.05, so be sure to complete any missions you’re in the middle of before updating!

We have also created a GreenLight presence on Steam. Please feel free to stop by and vote if you want The Dark Mod to be a permanent resident on the Steam platform.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858048394

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom