Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

Skdursh

Savant
I'm wondering if anyone here is able to answer my question. I've been playing TDM for a while now but I've always had this issue that whenever I turn on anti-aliasing it fucks up the skybox and makes it slowly flash white and all the stars will create endless trails similar to what happens when you win a hand of Windows Solitaire. It also causes the screen to shrink whenever I go underwater and how it shrinks will be smaller or larger depending on what level of anti-aliasing I currently have it set to (x2, x4, x8, ect.). Without anti-aliasing on I have no issues with the game, the skybox is fine and the screen stays normal underwater. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how to fix it?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm wondering if anyone here is able to answer my question. I've been playing TDM for a while now but I've always had this issue that whenever I turn on anti-aliasing it fucks up the skybox and makes it slowly flash white and all the stars will create endless trails similar to what happens when you win a hand of Windows Solitaire. It also causes the screen to shrink whenever I go underwater and how it shrinks will be smaller or larger depending on what level of anti-aliasing I currently have it set to (x2, x4, x8, ect.). Without anti-aliasing on I have no issues with the game, the skybox is fine and the screen stays normal underwater. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how to fix it?
I really suggest reporting that to the TDM Forums in the Tech Support section. The programmers and Springheel are active on there.
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/

Skdursh

Savant

Melcar

Arcane
Most likely a driver issue. Game has no problems with mesa drivers in Linux. I have also experienced flashing in games when using AA filtering and turning it off fixes it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Goldwell updated his chart of how many missions were made per year. Last year saw a incline from 2017, from 8 to 10. Grayman released 3 missions last year! Goldwell also said he wanted to release 2 missions in 2019, which I can't wait for.
3bE52cx.png

Haven't been keeping up recently, but a few new FMs have also come out.
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19787-fan-mission-the-night-of-reluctant-benefaction/
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19796-hidden-hands-initiation-27122018/

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
The Dark Mod update 2.07 now available! (02-2019)
Posted on February 2, 2019 by Springheel

TDM 2.07 is primarily a stability release, aimed at improving several experimental features that were added in 2.06. Soft shadows now work better, for example, with fewer graphical glitches and a new Shadow Map mode that allows for contact hardening (and generally better performance).

In addition to greater stability, there are a few new gameplay features, including a new frob helper that can be turned on in the Gameplay menu.

Mantling low and medium-sized obstacles is now faster and smoother, and further mantling improvements are already in the works for the next update.

There are a few new assets included in the update, including some new architectural module pieces, new chain models, and several trap prefabs (along with videos on how to set them up).

For a longer list of changes and additions, see the 2.07 wiki page, or the full changelog.

To update to this version, simply run tdm_update.exe in your darkmod folder.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/posts/the-dark-mod-update-2-07-now-available-02-2019/

Gord

Arcane
Has anyone else fps tanking when using soft shadows + anti-aliasing at the same time?

Gord

Arcane
Does antialiasing even work on Linux now? It never did for me...

Goldwell

Novice
Has anyone else fps tanking when using soft shadows + anti-aliasing at the same time?

Yes it sucks plain and simply. As does the vertical sync setting.

I turn both off ingame, leave uncapped FPS on and then use specific program settings in the Nvidia control panel to handle AA and vertical sync. The game runs 60 fps smooth with 0 dips in framerate for me now.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This thread was unstickied! :argh:
But a new Goldwell mission has been released. I haven't been playing for a while but I think I'll go through this one soon enough. It is no doubt up to the high quality standard set by Goldwell.

index.php

Arcane
Hotfix for 2.07 now available (05/2019)
This hotfix release is intended mainly to fix serious problems with OpenGL that some players have.
The set of differences with the original 2.07 is minimal.
The hotfix release is expected to fully replace the original 2.07, and be called simply “TDM 2.07” in the future.

Unlike the usual case, this release does not break savegame compatibility.
You can load savegames produced by the original TDM 2.07 in the 2.07-hotfix version perfectly fine: no need to do anything.

The changes in 2.07-hotfix:

1) Fixed GLSL shaders not working on the latest AMD graphics drivers.
With original 2.07, players with AMD gpus had to either set r_useGLSL 0 or to download custom shader files.
Everyone who had this problem: please update to 2.07-hotfix, set r_useGLSL 1 back and remove glprogs directory if you have it.

2) Fixed GLSL shaders not working on some Linux drivers.
The same workaround was used to avoid the problem, which should be reverted after update.
It is also possible that shadow maps will start working for some players (due to this fix).

3) Fixed r_showportals 1 to work properly with Multi Core Enhancement and with subviews.
With original 2.07, it had problems like postprocessing being disabled or wrong rendering of portals.

4) Fixed missing tdm_coals_hot_ns material on some maps.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think it may be possible but it would probably require a fair bit of effort and a very dedicated contributor. Vulkan has already been put on id Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) but The Dark Mod engine by now is a whole new beast because of how much work has been put into it over these years.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I enjoyed his analysis of Thief 2's The Bank and System Shock 2. Will likely check out his upcoming stream.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Time to necro this shit.Just finished the two bundled missions and love it.
Here is a compilation of all fan mission mentioned in this thread:

A house of locked secrets
A Score To Settle
A special delivery
A Reputation to Uphold
Alberic curse
Alchemist (Thief’s Den 4)
Crucible of omens:Behind closed doors
Beleaguered Fence
Braeden church
Briarwood manor
Coercion
Down by the riverside
Flakebridge Monastery
Full moon fever
Glenham Tower
Heart Of Lone Salvation
House in the blackog hollow
In the north
King of the mountain
Knighton Manor
Let sleeping thieves lie
Lords and legacy
Mandrasola
No Honor Among Thieves series
Not a ordinary gust
Old habits 2
Patently Dangerous
Penny Dreadful series
Phrase book
Rake Off
Requiem
Return To The City
Shadows of northdale series
Somewhere Above The City
Tears of St. Lucia
The Accountant 1 and 2
The bakery job
The Beleaguered Fence
The Chalice Of Kings
The creeps
The elixir
The golden skull
The lich queen demise
The ravine
The Siege Shop
The Transaction
Volta 1 and 2
Ulysses: Genesis
Ulysses: Protecting the flock
William steele series

There are around 50 something missions in this list while there are around more then a 120 fan mission so far released for the mod.That is pretty damn good amount of quality.
Also i am amazed that i am enjoying the horror missions from the originals even though i hate horror stuff in games.

Last edited:

Curratum

I tried the Dark Mod multiple times over the years. It's just not the same, the mechanics are similar, but the flavor and texture and feeling just isn't there for me :(

flyingjohn

Arcane
Well i am loosing my patience with this mod already.Bugs everywhere.
Tried three missions and each one had some sort of annoyance.And these missions ranged from 2015-2018.And none of these things happened to me in the official two missions.
Either i couldn't open doors,ai bugging out,clipping through stuff,lighting bugs,etc.This could be doable if most missions don't require some form of ghosting where the bugs screw you.
Oh and quick save/load are very finicky.The amount of time i carried over alert guard state is not funny.What a shame.

Maybe i am just unlucky,who knows.

Edit:Fixed all my problems by deleting the fm missions and re downloading again.There is something weird about their downloader.
Also started using the 32 bit exe instead of the 64 bit.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
I am just gonna recommend a mission not on my list.
Perilous refuge is fucking amazing.

So much hidden shit to explore.From a ghost house to a tavern full of thugs.And none of those things are even the main objective.
The atmosphere is also top notch.

The only downside is that this author only has three missions released so far.
:negative:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have not played this for years. Best missions/campaigns in your opinion?

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have not played this for years. Best missions/campaigns in your opinion?
You can start with perilous refuge since it is a single mission.Other recommended missions are listed above in my post.
Most campaign missions are made by the best authors so it doesn't matter what you choose.The only preference is how much can you tolerate a strict ghosting requirements,since some mod authors make it a requirement even on easier difficulties.
Here is a list of all released stuff with some basic information:
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom