Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
imho infinitron is trying to tease me

I'm beginning to understand where all this hate and vitriol and "it's fucking shit" is coming from. You've never played the original games which were the direct inspiration of this Mod. I'm not surprised you seem to have unrealistic expectations of our AI.
It's not really vitriol, but rather amusement. I don't need to have played the predecessor to be able to judge the latest thing, although if the games are iterative (like Thief) that can certainly help bring up examples of how to do things better or worse. However, until I get around to playing this (I think I will soon), I can operate under the optimistic assumption that what happens in that video will be the exception, rather than the rule, and that the AI should probably be able to do its function. The fact that the dumbass is playing with his brightness up is also comforting, since I wouldn't be doing that. I still don't think that what you show in your first screenshot is quite enough to keep somebody from seeing you, when he's staring you in the face a foot away.

AluminumHaste

Novice
Okay that makes more sense.
However I feel I need to point out that there's a point where gameplay has to trump realism otherwise it's not fun. It's a discussion that the original Thief The Dark Project designers had to go through for years when designing the originals. It's incredibly easy to make the AI see you even in complete darkness, but it becomes unplayable and more importantly, not fun. There may be simulation aspects to the game but it's still a game. As I stated in previous posts, if you want it harder, you can increase the AI visual acuity to Hardcore levels, where he probably would see you in that situation.

In the original games, the protagonist Garrett, gets training by a society called the Keepers. Part of their training is to blend into the shadows and become almost invisible, much more so than regular people. That explains why Garrett can hide right in front of guards and they don't see him.
It's the same thing in The Dark Mod, which was inspired by those games and their mechanics, but on a modern game engine.

Just play the game, see for yourself, you'll either love it or hate it and I can't really tell which one you'll be as you never played the originals, so you have no bias towards this type of gameplay.

New Horizon

Novice
There is a point worth reiterating in this discussion....what other games, if any, have a silhouette detection system?

Designing a game like this, you pick your battles when it comes to realism vs gameplay, AI abilities vs crippling system performance.

Doesn't mean the AI are stupid, the light vs. dark gameplay is simply the way the game is balanced.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Thief wasn't reallistic but it was fun and challenging, that is the only thing that matters.

Direwolf

Arcane
Any suggestions for some missions with large open maps with multiple paths and objectives?

AluminumHaste

Novice
Is that a fact or are you just going by memory? I do have that game....somewhere. I'll have to try it.

EDIT: Look at next post

Last edited:

AluminumHaste

Novice
Okay I just downloaded SC:CT and tried that, here is what happened:

There is a bright light behind me:

I got his attention with a whistle and he walked right up to me and didn't start shooting me until he was within 2 feet:

So no, that game doesn't do that :)

EDIT: Played on Hard difficulty, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Forgive the :popamole: question, but what settings(AI difficulty, combat challange) makes the game more similar to the original games? The combat is way too hard, the enemies parry all your attacks with ease, while is difficult to me doing so. You need to attack the enemies when they are going to hit you or else they will parry every single move you made.

Forgive the :popamole: question, but what settings(AI difficulty, combat challange) makes the game more similar to the original games? The combat is way too hard, the enemies parry all your attacks with ease, while is difficult to me doing so. You need to attack the enemies when they are going to hit you or else they will parry every single move you made.

Did you play the original games? Been ages since I played them, but from memory combat was something you MIGHT do if you screwed up badly, but with the aim of defending yourself for a couple of seconds while you find somewhere to run/hide. Being able to 'fight' your way through the game would have trivialised the stealth - fighting to kill the enemies (aside from maybe taking a lone enemy down if you screwed up badly enough to get cornered) was heavily punished.

Gord

Arcane
There's this full combat walktrough for Thief 1 somewhere on youtube, where the guy didn't use stealth but tried to fight instead.
You could fight enemies (with the exception that on higher difficulties you aren't allowed to kill any humans), but it was rather hard unless you knew how.

Still, it was doable. Guess it's the same for TDM.

As it's not supposed to be a fighting game, however, don't expect to steamroll the enemies.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Did you play the original games? Been ages since I played them, but from memory combat was something you MIGHT do if you screwed up badly, but with the aim of defending yourself for a couple of seconds while you find somewhere to run/hide. Being able to 'fight' your way through the game would have trivialised the stealth - fighting to kill the enemies (aside from maybe taking a lone enemy down if you screwed up badly enough to get cornered) was heavily punished.
It was heavily punishable by mission fail.You could still fight beasts and undead just fine. TDM is much harder in combat.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Still, it was doable. Guess it's the same for TDM.

As it's not supposed to be a fighting game, however, don't expect to steamroll the enemies.
lolz, im having trouble killing guards in 1-on-1 combat. I managed to kill the guards in the tutorial only because they are buggy in the arena(they will only charge once and then remain still, only attacking if you approach). Also, 2 hits and you are dead, i didn't see a health bar in the mod.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The health bar is just below the light gem, though I don't think it's visible if you're at full health.

catfood

AGAIN
You aren't supposed to fight enemies.
Then, what's the point of the sword anyway? Cinematic takedowns? I just want a combat more similar to the original games...
The point of the sword is to trick noobs into thinking that they stand a chance in a one-on-one combat against the guards. I like this combat a lot more than in the originals because here you die in one hit (at least on expert difficulty).

Also you can backstab enemies with the sword if your really feel like using it.

The healthbar is right under the stealth gem.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
You aren't supposed to fight enemies.
Then, what's the point of the sword anyway? Cinematic takedowns? I just want a combat more similar to the original games...
The point of the sword is to trick noobs into thinking that they stand a chance in a one-on-one combat against the guards. I like this combat a lot more than in the originals because here you die in one hit (at least on expert difficulty).

Also you can backstab enemies with the sword if your really feel like using it.

The healthbar is right under the stealth gem.
What can i say, i like a more purist experience :troll:

gromit

Arcane
So, I finally got a chance to check this out. Looks beautiful, and runs on my "play Lego Marvel with the nephew at 800*600" business laptop at 1680*1050 4xAA 8xAF with nary a hitch.

I played the tutorial last night, and meant to play St Lucia afterwards, but had to deal with the massive hard-on I got.

Can we start pooling some mission recommendations / descriptions; maybe have MetalCraze put them in the OP? The tables on the website / in the game are woefully uninformative.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm kinda OK in english, but I simply don't understand what are you rambling about.
I think he doesn't like the voice acting on the trailer and think it would harm people perception of the mod. Why he need 7 pharagraphs to say that? I don't know.

The trailer is truly shit, I hope I never have to hear that guy in the game.

Gord

Arcane
The trailer is truly shit, I hope I never have to hear that guy in the game.

He reads every menu entry on mouse-over. Not possible to cancel it, either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom