Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Stellar Monarch: Turn based 4X space empire builder

Your first impression

• Love it!

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Like it

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Depends

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The OP is an idiot :)

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, I think I should start crowdfunding/greenlight soon. Do you have any advices?
So many advices...

This is where so many games fall flat and don't meet KS goals. Realize a few challenges you have at the beginning. First - you're coming into a fairly saturated market (space 4x), with AAA competitors and then well funded small designers like GalCiv III - you're going to need to show what itch you're scratching. Have a tight pitch, some good gameplay footage, and have a schedule in place with a realistic target for a release. Look through dozens of KSers - look at the ones that succeeded and look at the ones that failed, and see what differentiates them.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Exploration system:

(video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvMMDqkItY
(text) http://silverlemur.tumblr.com/post/120122207336/exploration

* You don't send scout units
* Miliary units can never enter unexplored system (starlane not mapped)
* Exploration is done by abstract "survey teams" each turn (1-3 systems per turn depending on your investment/setup) and it's a mix of automated and priority based system

In short, most of the time the trivial exploration choices the game will make for you (like: explore first all system neighbour to my colonized planets) while allowing you to take over anytime by exploration priority system. So you deal with exploration only if you have some non standard/special needs and don't need to deal with tedious trivial exploration you would do typically.

(the system is already implemented and works, as a player I like it a lot)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
So many advices...

This is where so many games fall flat and don't meet KS goals. Realize a few challenges you have at the beginning. First - you're coming into a fairly saturated market (space 4x), with AAA competitors and then well funded small designers like GalCiv III - you're going to need to show what itch you're scratching. Have a tight pitch, some good gameplay footage, and have a schedule in place with a realistic target for a release. Look through dozens of KSers - look at the ones that succeeded and look at the ones that failed, and see what differentiates them.
Here is an early draft: http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/f12c5571 what you think? I was thinking of 2 videos [don't watch these yet, these are some random ones I put], the first one about the game and a separate one "about me" in the "Team" section (since not everyone will be interested in my history and my previous projects etc yet it's seems to be obligatory to some people). I also wonder about the "Development cycle" part, maybe I should remove/reduce the description how I work, how long I have been making games and the like (I get a slight impression of an unecessary boasting in that part, I don't know)...

Whiran

Magister
Here is an early draft: http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/f12c5571 what you think? I was thinking of 2 videos [don't watch these yet, these are some random ones I put], the first one about the game and a separate one "about me" in the "Team" section (since not everyone will be interested in my history and my previous projects etc yet it's seems to be obligatory to some people). I also wonder about the "Development cycle" part, maybe I should remove/reduce the description how I work, how long I have been making games and the like (I get a slight impression of an unecessary boasting in that part, I don't know)...
My thoughts on your preview link:

1. Change the fonts. That "old-school" / "retro" blockish font from early computing days SCREAMS hipster wannabe indie dev game. Please go with something better. Even Arial would be better.

I saw your icon (the ugly pixelated whatever that thing is supposed to be) combined with the font and I was ready to close the page.

People are looking to fund a project that looks like it is going to happen not yet another "indie dev fantasy."

Under "The game" which is listed twice and, as such, redundant - not to mention the capitalization is inconsistent (pick a style and stick to it) you have "Singeplayer, 4X, space empire builder, turn based." Change that to either: Singleplayer. 4X. Space Empire Builder. Turn Based. or Singleplayer, 4X, space empire builder, and turn based. Remember your demographic - detail oriented nerdy types.

Fix up your grammar throughout.

What's with the linestruck words? Remove those if they are meant to be gone or if it is meant to be 'cute' or whatever just rephrase to be clear on what you are attempting to say.

Under Development cycle - fix up the grammar. You really need to sit down and fix up the entire page.

Then we don't care about if this is your first, second, or fifth game. If it is your sixth game LIST all the previous examples with links to them otherwise it's just noise in the wind and a distraction.

If you "release regular builds" LIST them right then and there.

If you keep in touch link to your forums, twitter account, wherever you are busy and engaged. Prove it.

Remove the "except if a game is *really* terrible and a total failure.

Get rid of the ??? under the who makes the game.

I would suggest that at this point you list off how far you are into the game and how long it's taken you to hit various milestones. Assuming you have some kind of project management software going in the background to keep you on track take a screenshot of that with your milestones being met.

You want to build confidence in someone who might be willing to give you money. They want to see a displayed track record on this game and have an idea how long it is taking you to do things. The more transparent you are the better.

Next write about what is left to do. What would people be funding? You are at X stage in the project and you need to do the following to complete it. List how long, roughly, you estimate each major milestone will take. Be reasonable and upfront about it. Be extremely generous with your estimates - if you think it'll take a month then list two months. Give yourself a buffer. You are trying to manage expectations here. People will accept a task taking six months if that is what they are told it will take. They won't accept a task taking six months if they were told it would take one.

Your stretch goals are terrible and don't seem related to anything.

Come up with a real plan here - a stretch goal would basically mean you'd have more money hence more time to work on the game. So expand the game in a reasonable manner with each reasonable amount. If you need $1,000 USD to live a month and you get $3,000 USD what would you do with that three months of living? What could you reasonably add to the game?

Would you maybe contract another artist? Would you contract some people to do QA? Be real about this.

What is that $30k USD goal? If at $30k USD the game is actually funded then shouldn't you be asking for 30k? That's a huge red flag and probably a deal breaker for most people.

Your prospective audience does not know who you are. And, frankly, they don't really care (as evidenced by previous kickstarters and other funding drives). They care about the dream of the game and whether or not you appear capable of delivering it. Your entire pitch needs to focus on those two things.

Sell the dream.

Sell your ability to make it happen.

Good luck with it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mostly agree with Whiran :
Cut the part about your working routine, and yourself : List your previous games (or at least, the most relevant ones regarding what you are doing).

The stretch goals are indeed, underwhelming. They need to be related to the game.
Game covered, and game covered + breathing room would be interpreted as :
60% chance to finish the game without looking for another day job at the 30K tiers, and 80% at the 50K tiers.
Make people dream of cool features that would be added for each stretch goal. I would count 50% for the game (security fund or whatever you want to call it), and 50% for the stretch goal itself for each one, so that they don't magnify project management errors.

I would not use Space Empires in a 4X title. It could draw unwanted lawyer attention.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It looks better now.
I would drop this part :
$30,000 - All current & future costs covered - That should cover all the costs, it means I can stop worrying about marketing and the like and just focus on making the game. Overall, it means the game will be most likely finished a bit earlier.
The problem with the stretch goal, is that they are not "binary". It reads as :
5k :slightly better game
10k: even more beautiful game

I think you need to find some way to make it sound like a feature is added, even if it is only cosmetic (like : race specific alien ship models, or whatever).
Even better would be something to add that would require mostly graphics and not much coding(for my own project in my sig, for instance, I would put castles and sieges as stretch goals, and individual character portraits as they require very little work from me, and lots of work from my freelancers).

The video is too long, and not fluid enough. I think it should focus much more on the big picture (the fact that the game has a macro focus, and has little micro management), and the things you do as emperor, not on the ship building part alone.
Before you start whining that's not possible note I've finished & released several games that way already and some 4X games were made by others that way too (check AI War by Chris Park for example).
It should probably read : note THAT I have finished and released...
But I don't think calling your potential customers and supporters whiners is the best way to put it. Assume that they are there to support you, not to whine.

3k still seems awfully short to me, but heh, you know your financial situation better than I do.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
The video is too long, and not fluid enough. I think it should focus much more on the big picture (the fact that the game has a macro focus, and has little micro management), and the things you do as emperor, not on the ship building part alone.
Oh! The video there is just a placeholder, I have not created the crowdfunding video yet (will try to do it today). Yes, as you said it should contain the big picutre (3 main design goals) and be shorter, like 1:50. Generally, I was thinking of 3 such videos, the main one which would be short, then one explaining features (on the features section) and probably one "about me" (on the Who makes the game section, since it's expected I have heard...).

3k still seems awfully short to me, but heh, you know your financial situation better than I do.
I've made games with lower budget in the past :) Plus, as I said, it does not need to cover all the costs (after release the game will be still sold), it's the quick money which I could use for freelancers & services not as my salary (that one can wait).

BTW, thanks for all the tips!

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
OK, video done (ignore the video quality, I will redo it with different codecs)
http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/f12c5571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXejcUn_1ys
This one is much better than the placeholder. I would emphasize the macro over micro mantra earlier. Duration seems just right.

Another issue regarding the rewards :
  • $35USD
    Expansionist
    All above + The first big expansion (not small DLC) (if it's ever done)

0 réclamé(e)(s)
  • $50USD
    Ethernal expansionist
    All above + All future expansions/DLCs (if these are done)
Drop the if these are done. You could promise one of your past or future game if they aren't. Otherwise, it makes these tiers seem too risky, while you want most contributors to choose these.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Most likely I will launch the crowdfunding tomorrow. The tier to get the game on release day is only $10 ($25 if you want instant alpha access). I strongly encourage to back the project on day 1 if you can (it would be most helpful).

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Crowdfunding has started: http://igg.me/at/pocketspaceempire/

I appreciate your support!
EGLTLFN.png

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Incomprehensible accent is a major turn off. Which is a shame because I like the concept a lot.

Also, why "Pocket"? Makes it sound like a gameboy game.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Incomprehensible accent is a major turn off. Which is a shame because I like the concept a lot.

Also, why "Pocket"? Makes it sound like a gameboy game.
The first one, can't help :)
The title, well, various reasons: it makes it sound compact/small/fast paced which is the intention, all good titles already taken, etc, but I guess the real reason was for me to avoid the feature creep :D I kept repeating myself "you are making a *Pocket* Space Empire, not an Ultimate Space Empire, so you don't have to include all features you can think of" :D It helped :)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
And now doing Steam Greenlight :) Really, I miss the old C64 days when I was just making games without all this marketing related hassle. Once crowdfunding and greenlight is over I'm going to lock myself in a garage or something and quietly finish the game :)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Question (audience & ship design)

There is an audience system, every X turns various people come in and have some issue where the player needs to make a choice. Now, there are ships/hulls with predefined basic setup and I need to allow some upgrade/customization but do not want the traditional "ShipDesigner" (it's tedious to redesign alll ships every time you invent "laser +1"). So, I thought of merging these, some sort of system where projectants come to you and ask if you want faster ships or more armoured ships, etc.

Post if you have anything related (how exactly it should work, if that's a good system, alternative systems, etc).

MoLAoS

Why would you have to design a new ship with laser+1? Just allow people to upgrade all designs to latest parts. Even if laser+1 has more power requirements or something you could set it so it calculates if its worth it and if so drops one laser, then upgrades all remaining lasers to laser +1 and drops a new power supply into the laser slot. The math would be relatively simple.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Why would you have to design a new ship with laser+1? Just allow people to upgrade all designs to latest parts. Even if laser+1 has more power requirements or something you could set it so it calculates if its worth it and if so drops one laser, then upgrades all remaining lasers to laser +1 and drops a new power supply into the laser slot. The math would be relatively simple.
I guess for trivial stuff (laser 1, laser 2, etc) I could make "Modernize" option (pay X to upgrade existing ships to the newest level of laser). But I would also want some meaningfull customization choices (something vs something) and for that I was thinking of some sort of "projectant visits you and asks" instead of ShipDesigner interface...

Destroid

Arcane
I guess for trivial stuff (laser 1, laser 2, etc) I could make "Modernize" option (pay X to upgrade existing ships to the newest level of laser). But I would also want some meaningfull customization choices (something vs something) and for that I was thinking of some sort of "projectant visits you and asks" instead of ShipDesigner interface...

That could work, perhaps have competing people come to you at the same time, one offering to increase firepower the other offering speed for example. Every now and then maybe they could offer to produce entirely new designs, or you could request submissions for new designs at some expense.

MoLAoS

Its only meaningful if fast ships vs armored ships matter. Like if you use a rock paper scissors-ish combat system and fast counters your current enemy but armored doesn't. In many games speed is just treated like a % chance to miss type stat where on average its just the same as an armor upgrade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom