Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Stellar Monarch: Turn based 4X space empire builder

Your first impression

• Love it!

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Like it

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Depends

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The OP is an idiot :)

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Update:
- the crowdfunding failed, instead I went for Pre-order & Early Access system
- started a SteamGroup as the main place for discussion (but I'm still visiting this forum, so feel free to post wherever you prefer) http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pocketspaceempire
- I'm doing now regular "progress report" videos (at least monthly) on YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCps-DZqxTNj7vrTMvSfml1A
- v0.10 released (EA)

About Early Access
Well, I don't want to advertise it too much... It's a very early version, devs usually don't release a game at that early stage. I decided to do it because it suits my style of working, I love to include the feedback from players as I go, it's much easier than trying to change things when the game is near the final release.

The current version (v0.10) is a prototype, a sophisticated tech demo I would say with barebone mechanics, not for casual players, more for people who love to explore and observe how things are built and maybe provide some feedback (you can also play with the settings, just open balance.ini in your notepad).

Anyway, if you think you are ready to overlook the numerous issues this version has (I guess this forum has some hardcore players who might be interested :)) you can buy it here: http://www.PocketSpaceEmpire.com of course it will have the SteamKey included later (which is unavoidable since the game was greenlit :D).

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.11 (EarlyAccess) available. It's still a "prototype" branch so not recommended. But you know what? I was explaining how it works to my sister and I noticed I can actually play it :) At least the military part.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.12 of EarlyAccess (prototype branch) released.

I'm preparing for an Alpha, so, I was trying in this version to finish all the technical things and smaller stuff.

Improvements:
  • new reporting system
  • interface improvements (more tooltips, etc)
  • invention level mechanic finished
  • max industry level mechanic
  • governors have names, age, can die, competence penalty to new governors
  • performance boost
  • load/save
  • ground combat bonus simplified
  • most technologies work now (not all)
  • a bit of balancing
  • and many other

New features:
  • "Reorganize" fleet button (super usefull)

Here is the "progress report" video:

At the moment you can buy the EA edition or preorder the game here: http://www.PocketSpaceEmpire.com expected release late 2015.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It's still a prototype, don't expect gameplay yet, if you hesitate or are not a huge fan I recommend to WAIT for Alpha/Beta release.

BTW, I have noticed a strange thing, when I was talking everyone was excited and everything, now once I actually started to do the real hard work and have a progress to show everyone is quiet and seems to not care :) Should have just kept talking instead of coding ;-)

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Won't speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly waiting to see how your project turns out. It looks very interesting.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.13 (EarlyAccess, prototype branch) released.

I know I was saying it will be an Alpha, but just before release I played it and... not yet, that's not an alpha yet. So, it's another Prototype branch build.

This time I focused mostly on economy & balance. It's probably the most boring version :)

Changes/rebalance:
  • Industry redone (IC removed, instead there are industry ratings A-F)
  • Edict to control industrial investements Empire wide
  • Usable size of the planet (affects max industrial facilities)
  • Finances rebalanced & adjusted (Imperial tax, bureaucracy penalty, etc)
  • Old edicts renamed to Reforms and new ones done
  • Icons for technologies also technologies simplified (more consistent now)
  • Starvation, proper population growth, etc
  • Better summary of ships in the flet (average per squadron)
  • A lot of smaller improvements

New features:
  • Fleet modernization option

Progress report video:

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.14 (PROTOTYPE).

A lot of smaller changes and polish.

Changes:
- ground combat redone (invasion progress)
- intelligence screen (description of races & special traits)
- civilized races take into account threat level
- interface improvements & many other small improvements, balance

Progress report video:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there a timeline for your project? When are you expecting to hit beta/feature complete?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Is there a timeline for your project? When are you expecting to hit beta/feature complete?
Sigh... Yes, there is a timeline, but it's messed up now because I have trouble with the game flow. It's quite feature complete but I have neglected the basic strategic level conquest flow and now I'm paying for it :) In short, i'm trying to balance it, otherwise it's unplayable.

Probably I will go for some sort of "eras" or "game phases", like first you deal with pirates, in the next part the civilized aliens become lazy/passive and you can conquer a lot of territory relatively easy, next aliens retaliate (stop their decadent life and increase military production :D) and so on. Of course not as static as decribed, it would be partially random, so you are not sure what next era will be about, but overall there would be these distincive phases where you have different goals and opportunities (sometimes you conquer, sometimes you try to survive).

Once I have it, I can call it an official Alpha (playable).

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Redesign

I have been playing the current version for a while and I think something is wrong there... I think I need to redesign it and maybe go back to the original idea I had (more asymmetric and more tower defence, less of a traditional 4X). Tell me what you think about this:

The Empire (player) starts in the center of the galaxy. Via the edges of the galaxy (and transdimensional rifts scattered around) enter various evil aliens with the intent to take over the galaxy/destroy it/eradicate all life/etc. They are truly evil and can't be negotiated with. Their attacks are waves based (like in tower defence games).

But you are not alone in the galaxy, there are also local aliens. They come in two flavours, civilized (humanoid, do diplomacy, do not kill civilians, don't use nukes vs other humanoids, etc) and primitive (useless bugs, larvas and other scum that should be eradicated). They attack you and each other and they are targetted by the evil (extragalactical aliens) too. Now the twist is they are located (usually) between you and the evil aliens, so they can act as a cannon fodder which softens the evil alien waves before they reach you. So, on one hand you want the planets of the local aliens, on the other you want them to live and be a free defence against even greater threat. Not all local aliens are equal, while civilized ones can put up a fight against evil aliens the primitive ones are useless (evil ones can skip the primitive aliens territory, both sides ignore each other).

Additional twists. Civilized aliens can sign a treaty with the evil aliens if they are beaten too much. In such case not only they are no longer targetter by evil aliens but also the evil aliens start at the borders of that race instead of the edge of the galaxy, so they have much shorter distance to the Empire. One mort thig is that ethe evil aliens use special force fields (90% resistance to damage), and you, the Empire is the only one who knows the secret how to counter that field. You have an option to share that knowledge with any civilized alien race (they won't share it with others). So, you have a choice to give this secret to local alien race and make them stronger vs the common enemy OR do nothing, wait till they are beaten and then quickly grab their planets.

In short: you are in the very middle, surrounded by rather weak local aliens (4X style) and via the edges of the galaxy enters waves of real enemies (tower defence style).

Executr

Cipher
A bit of a mixed feeling. IMO, I like that'll still be asymetrical, but on the other hand I'm not really a fan of starlanes. Now with your redesign I think they make even more sense, to create strategic bottlenecks in this tower defense style.
But how are you going to deal with micromanagement with the new gameplay? Will it still be higher-level, diplomacy-focused?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
A bit of a mixed feeling. IMO, I like that'll still be asymetrical, but on the other hand I'm not really a fan of starlanes. Now with your redesign I think they make even more sense, to create strategic bottlenecks in this tower defense style.
But how are you going to deal with micromanagement with the new gameplay? Will it still be higher-level, diplomacy-focused?
Yeah, I want an asymmetry too, that's one of the reason of the redesign, I noticed it all rolling more and more into the direction of a traditional symmetrical gameplay (boring) with most races being similar to player's (boring again). I guess I should put aside the 4X mindset and prioritize the tower defence part...
Indeed, starlanes fit here even more. Also I think I should focus more on stationary defences (like planets helping neighbour planets to fend off invasions by sharing heavy fighters - an idea I had at the beginning but discarded it later; and making defensive installation more persistent, like splitting the "installations built" and "installations temporarily damaged by the enemy and not operational" so you can simply rebuild these at a much cheaper cost after you retake the planet/invasion ends).

Micromanagement - I don't think it's related, actually with asymmetrical I feel it's even easier to reduce micro, since I have a higher control what is in the game and I have more freedom to shape the mechanics.

Diplomacy-focused - I'm not sure what you mean? I planned it more politics/internal issues focused, like governors, hordes of imperial officials, loyalty, rebels, audiences. Is that what you meant? If yes, then I intend to keep these (I love the personnel part :D)

Executr

Cipher
Yeah, I want an asymmetry too, that's one of the reason of the redesign, I noticed it all rolling more and more into the direction of a traditional symmetrical gameplay (boring) with most races being similar to player's (boring again). I guess I should put aside the 4X mindset and prioritize the tower defence part...
Indeed, starlanes fit here even more. Also I think I should focus more on stationary defences (like planets helping neighbour planets to fend off invasions by sharing heavy fighters - an idea I had at the beginning but discarded it later; and making defensive installation more persistent, like splitting the "installations built" and "installations temporarily damaged by the enemy and not operational" so you can simply rebuild these at a much cheaper cost after you retake the planet/invasion ends).

Micromanagement - I don't think it's related, actually with asymmetrical I feel it's even easier to reduce micro, since I have a higher control what is in the game and I have more freedom to shape the mechanics.

Diplomacy-focused - I'm not sure what you mean? I planned it more politics/internal issues focused, like governors, hordes of imperial officials, loyalty, rebels, audiences. Is that what you meant? If yes, then I intend to keep these (I love the personnel part :D)

Yeah, politics focused, that's what I meant. That's what mostly stands out comparing with other 4x on the market.
I do agree with reducing micro using stationary defences. For example, you could add a bonus to planetary and fleet defense if your planets are near allied planets, due to better coordination.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.15 (EarlyAccess, prototype branch) released.

It's an important version, this time I focused on redesign. I found out the game was getting more and more complex without introducing interesting decision to make or fun things to do. So, I stepped back and redesigned a few things also I have mercilessly cut out the weak parts. Now it's a bit more simple but more deep, fun and interesting. It's funny how removing some complex things (economy) can actually result in things becoming less trivial (available choices).

Changes/rebalance:
  • Old economy system was thrown out, a simpler but more fun was introduced
  • To build ships you need minerals (also a bit of money but that's not the bottleneck)
  • Since money is not used primarily to build new ships anymore the player is encouraged to use it for other purposes (I love that part, it unlocks so many possibilities)
  • Changed the planetary installations mechanic (now it's more predictable and overall makes more sense)
  • Removed the budget feature (it will be partially back via audiences later, but in a more interesting way)
  • Claims to planets introduced
  • Pirates are highly resistant to planetary defences
  • Diplomatic options (Embargo, Give Weapons to minor race)
  • Balance, a lot of it was done
  • A lot of small improvements and fixes

Progress report video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmNy9ArEGA

Steam Group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pocketspaceempire/discussions/1/496880203070617335/

Note: the politics part (imperial court, etc) is not really done yet in this version, at least not fully working, I was focusing on the strategic level.

Last edited:

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
ALPHA stage reached. Note I have reduced posting in order to focus on finishing the game. Also the progress report videos will be more rare.

========================
Version 0.20 (EarlyAccess, alpha branch) released.

The first Alpha branch release. It's very rough, but if you are really, really stubborn you might find it playable :) Note that not everything works as described (like some technologies do not work yet), I will be finishing these in future versions.
BTW, starting of this version I'm accepting balance related feedback.

The current gameplay routine is: "get as many planets and prestige by turn 250 as you can" (you can choose to play after turn 250 if you wish).

Changes:
  • A lot of polishing and improvements in order to make it playable
  • Simple victory conditions (only for the first 2 scenarios)
  • Eras introduced (the gameplay was soft-divided into 5 eras, each era offers specific challenges & opportunities, also some decisions are limited to "once per era", I know this probably does not sound very exciting but it fits with the gameplay well)
  • Alien races might behave differently depending on era (like the Hive will have additional overminds and range in the "Offensive of the Hive" era, Pirates are more annoying in the 1st era, during one era all major races form a coallition and try to crush the Empire and so on). In future these will be more random so the gameflow will be less predictable.
  • Contracts by independent contractors (offered during audience)

========================
Version 0.21 (EarlyAccess, alpha branch) released.

The second Alpha. The goal of this version was the strategic level balance (player's conquest) and convenience (auto ships building).

Changes:
  • Auto ships building. Now you set priorities and quotas for ships then imperial shipyards will try to build these to fit your orders & casualties (it works great, much more logical, convenient and thematic than the old manual system).
  • Option to decommission (scrap) ships.
  • Science levels grant bonuses. Like you get bonus to damage for the highest technology level of Energy science. It's an additional incentive to go for the highest level techs.
  • Truce mechanic (civilized races only) and diplomatic points
  • Audiences & Eras improved
  • More technologies
  • Rebalance (it's much easier now, note that in the final game there will be 9 difficulty levels so it should be playable & challenging to both casuals and the most hardcore players)
  • A lot of small things done (more stuff works now or was polished)

========================

SteamGroup: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pocketspaceempire/discussions/1/496881136907525136/
Homepage: http://www.pocketspaceempire.com/

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Released a few more versions 0.22, 0.23, 0.24 (I'm not posting these here one by one, since I concluded it might be a bit boring for you, if you want to keep track check www.PocketSpaceEmpire.com ).

There were various improvements along the way. The most exciting, to me at least, is the introduction of storylines. Now there are several plots (like "Conspiracy to overthrow the Emperor") that unflods as the game goes. As the player you can affect the progress of those storylines (also in some storylines there is a bad progress which auto progresses and you want it low and the good progress which benefits you). These are quite barebone now, but yeah, I love these already :) It was the thing that was missing in the audience mechanic.

Norfleet

It's funny how removing some complex things (economy) can actually result in things becoming less trivial (available choices).
That's not really surprising. It doesn't matter how complex something is if there's still ultimately only one right answer, especially when it's obvious what that answer is after a point.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.25 (Alpha) released.

The sixth Alpha. Imperial Court and court related audience events.

Changes:
  • Imperial Court redesigned and redone
  • More audience events (court related)
  • Usual fixes and smaller improvements

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
So, I'm going for a Steam Early Access somewhere this month :)

Oh yes, also v0.26 and v0.27 released. Mostly polish and finishing features.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
And various versions made recently :)
I think I will start posting those here again since it all settled down and it's less chaotic now :)

Version 0.29 released

It's an interesting and somewhat painful stage of development. I revise various mechanics and... chop features that were not so great :) It's usually a stage when I realize something can be done much simplier without losing any depth (after the overly complex feature is already implemented :(). So what exactly was done? The whole army tab was slated, several mechanics changed/redone. Introduced a nice budget mechanic (I like it). Also rebalanced economy.

- [removed] Army tab removed, army officers merged with fleet, most of army officers removed
- [removed] Powerplants removed (not worthy of attention of the mighty Emperor :))
- [removed] Forts removed (will be replaced with defensive subsidies in the next version), planetary defensive priorities removed

- [feature] Budget mechanic (finances tab), it allows investing in various areas, also it's a nearly infinite money sink if one so desire :)
- [feature] Electricity mechanic introduced, it reused gas (which no longer is a fuel for ships, but a source of electricity). Planets and cities require electricity, if you have a shortage grasdually worse and worse effects come into play (those are listed on the electricity tooltip). Not all electricity shortage effects work in this version.
- [feature] Political officers added to fleets (in future they will be optional), also generals assigned to fleets.
- [feature] Changed army model to local, no more a global pool for defensive infantry (only stormtroopers have such a pool), it's all more simple and intuitive now.
- [feature] Happiness mechanic adjusted.

- [balance] Adjusted starting planetary infrastructure, starting population, resources production rate, etc. Overall you start with more at the beginning but it becomes harder later.
- [balance] Adjusted food & population growth

- [interface] Reforms renamed to edicts (more logical and intuitive)
- [interface] Better tooltips, some beautifications, etc

Version 0.28.2 released

In this version I attempted to explain better some confusing mechanics (like security rating) and in the process I changed those too because I found a better and a simplier way how those should work :) Also finished some features like creation perks and reforms.

- [feature] All create Emperor perks work now.
- [feature] Finished reforms and tied them nicely to eras (number of reforms per era).
- [feature] Planetary loyalty and security explained much better (tooltips). Happiness now affect planet's loyalty only.
- [feature] Rebel points generation (from planetary security, from loyalty of imperial officials) also all this explained better on the empire/summary screen. Note that rebellion is not implemented yet so these have no effect at the moment.
- [feature] Planetary quality of life simplified and explained better, now it affects population growth and efficiency of all industries.
- [feature] Court replacement rules adjusted (old ones get auto promoted if there is a vacancy for any reason and the new ones come into the lowest rank slots).

- [balance] Difficulty levels now differ much more, so players of all skill levels could play it (difficulty 9 should be impossible now). Note that the game is balanced for difficulty 4 (default one).

- [interface] New map mode "specialization" (shows specialization and resource deposits).
- [interface] Numerous beautifications.

Version 0.28.1 released (post Pyrkon version)

This version is the result of the Pyrkon expo and the feedback I gathered there. Thanks all people who visited me there!

- [feature] New court movement rules (also renamed move pts to political pts). The same depth but much less confusing.
- [feature] Department of Protocol is special now, it has no effect at all :) So, it's a great place to store all those incompetent courtiers that are loyal to you or those you need to keep for political reasons.
- [feature] Modified max industry level mechanic.
- [feature] Context help greatly expanded (it's still lacking and unfinished).

- [removed] Innovation mechanic (no one understood it anyway, plus it was redundant with the field bonus mechanic).

- [interface] Improved industry page (edicts less confusing).
- [interface] Research screen improved (list of queued technologies on the fields screen).
- [interface] Find planet/squadron makes zoom in.
- [interface] Numerous beautifications and improvements.

- [fix] Various small fixes.

Version 0.28 released!

The goal of this update was to finish some unfinished things (court related) and streamline the game and interface a bit (removal of test functions, no summon everyone option, default fleet composition).

- [feature] court faction bonuses rednoe and fully implemented (now only the top most influential faction provides a bonus)
- [feature] departments got a separate subpage and there are working bonuses/penalties based on courtiers competence (some are bland and repetitive, will be adjusted in future versions)
- [feature] default fleet composition (hull types requested for squadrons)

- [removed] test/dev functions are hidden (unless you activate tester mode)
- [removed] audience chancellor button summoning all officials (it was too micro like one)

Saves compatibility note: compatible with v0.27 with a possible minor first turn glitch (tax bonus might be wrong during the first turn after you use old saves)

Version 0.27.3 released!

- [fix] tax system
- [fix] incorrect corruption of new characters

- [feature] icon on the planet screen to identify a frontier planet
- [feature] various smaller improvements
- [balance] characters live significantly longer, less minerals from mines (which means lower ships production)

Version 0.27.2 released

Fix of the fix :) Also removed/redid a bunch of useless features in order to make it simplier & more streamlined.

- [fix] The rare Win 8.1 screen bug

- [removed] fire governor button on planet screen (it was too micromanagish and overall lame, now you can fire governors via audience system only)
- [removed] squadron size button (it's not needed in practice and was only confusing, just create multiple squadrons and you get the same effect)
- [feature] changed planetary defence priority adjustment, instead of adjusting it by -3/+3 now you can set a planet as a fort, you can do it with maximum 3 planets. Fort planets are also marked on the map and overall it's better and more cool.

Version 0.27.1 (Alpha) released.

The first update after Steam Early Access.

- [fix] Added "safe mode" launch option which you can use if you have problems (Steam option, or you can run the game via "gamename.exe -safemode")
- [fix] Probably fixed the rare Win 8.1 screen bug (but it needs confirmation, anyway, you can use the safemode if you still have problems)

- [feature] Characters have names displayed prominently above their stats (except planetary governors, because they are not worthy of your magnificent attention :))
- [feature] improved context help and overall improved help
- [balance] Pirates a bit weaker

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Version 0.29.1 released

This version was aimed to polish all the new stuff from v0.29, tons of fixes were made as well. Introduced subsidies mechanic. Admirals can now be summoned before the Emperor (and then they can be told that they failed you :D)

- [feature] Subsidies introduced. You can use credits to subsidy a planet in one of areas (defence, economy, population, claims). Susbsidies expire at the end of era.
- [feature] Finished all electricity effects and budget effects, also altered those
- [feature] Generals replaced with Vice Admirals
- [feature] Admirals can be summoned to the audience (instead of "fire admiral" button, now you can fire the admiral via the audience mechanic). You can summon only one admiral per turn, if you summon no one an admiral that was there the furthest will attend.

- [removed] Fort removed (replaced with defensive subsidy)

- [fix] Resources properly update at the first turn
- [fix] Fixed tonnage of fleets calculations
- [fix] Fixed a bug allowing enacting an already active edict
- [fix] Several other smaller fixes

- [interface] Planet interface has military tab removed and all military info moved to planet's overview, added subsidies tab
- [interface] Industry level renamed to development level
- [interface] Fleet screen has average competence/loyalty/corruption of officers displayed
- [interface] Exploration report shows planet graphics and statistics
- [interface] More and better tooltips in various places

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
First thing on steam page: This is not a perfect game. It has many flaws. Usually games are more playable during Early Access.

Wishlisted

edit: oh.. already had it wishlisted lol

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Numerous updates. Like rebellion!

pse_v0.32_rebellion_zpswzjzg8ct.png

or Department related events

pse_v0.32_departmentevents_zpsc7tphje3.png

Also I run a small sale this week:
http://www.pocketspaceempire.com/pre-order/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom