Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-based combat mode in Deadfire

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
This time it's not an April Fools joke. Tested and fully playable.

pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-turn-based-1.jpg

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Here are some firsthand experiences from somethingawful

The turn-based thing is real. Just tried it myself. The UI to select it is obviously very WIP and the explanations are almost unreadable, but basically there are a bunch of conversion and balance changes, including a rebalance of ticks so that they work per-round, dual wielding now always granting you Full Attack instead of affecting Recovery Time, spells that take longer to cast going off later in the turn order, and some more poo poo.

I'm... kind of both in awe that this exists and also wonder how well it'll play considering the game wasn't design with that in mind from the ground up? It's definitely gonna be a huge boon for the console versions tho'.

It is. Just as I was starting the game there was a small < 300 MB patch. When creating a new game, I was asked to choose between RTwP and TB. I picked TB and now the game is fully turn-based. They have a new stat called "Initiative" and it looks like the higher it is the more often it's your turn. It looks like it a straight up conversion of your Attack Speed in RTwP.

I've only played like half an hour but it looks like you get a set amount of distance you can move, do one offensive action (from a basic melee attack to a full harmful spell) and a defensive cast (like an ability or a non-harmful spell). You can do all three each round (they also changed the duration to "Rounds", from "Seconds") but only one of each it seems. But when I activated Gaun's Pledge I couldn't attack, which is weird because using Second Wind doesn't prevent you from attacking in the same turn.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856099&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=426

Mustawd

I need to see more to be convinced. But if they add it to both I’ll buy both games.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Sawyer wants the next game in the series to be turn-based, so it could just be testing.

It would be a shame if they didn't add it in though, since it's already functional.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My fuckin' sides, such a thing to just randomly leak. Obsidian being Obsidian, stay classy goyim, never mind some Microsoft acquisition, never change you fuckups.

Efe

Erudite
you showed a doctored video and provided zero source.

:1/5:
picked it up at obsidian discord from a guy named brunch. just uploaded to google drive so you autists can see it too. if you want proof ask him. i think he turned steam offline mode on and was asking what to do in game. asked him to do drake fight in ruins but im not sure if he will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom