Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Two Worlds - a possible Oblivion killer?

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Does anyone have more detailed info about this game?
http://www.tothegame.com/game.asp?id=4897

If half of the listed feature will make their way into the game, then it COULD be sweet.
MOUNTED COMBAT PEOPLE!

Edit: Multiplayer? Mhh... I hope it won't be too arcade-ish or it's going to be Oblivion all over again.

Section8

Cipher
It may be interesting, but the "features" given on that page are fucking terrible. There's not a single one that I can take seriously.

Lumpy

Arcane
"Unique magic system. The Players are allowed to assemble their own magic spells."
Yeah. Unique.

"Two Worlds offers more character development than any of its competitors and at the same time makes it very easy to understand and navigate through the process."
That sounds preety half-assed. Saying "We have a complex character system" is one thing, saying that it is the best is another. Even Todd said once, when asked whether Oblivion will be the best game ever, "Oh geez, that's for someone else to say."

"Characters advance quickly to reward players for their efforts. The whole process is also, always, reversible. There are characters, called "career changers" who are able to undo previous character development decisions and free certain amount of skill points to redistribute them again. The service is costly but ensures that nothing hinders the player's creativity."
Sounds stupid. So you go to someone, and he makes you forget something, allowing you to artificially get better at something else? Gah...

It's annoying how they keep saying how better their game is compared to other role-playing games. Hell, even Bethesda never said such a thing, besides maybe for Radiant AI, but that's a fair claim.

Jora

Arcane
Why do the gameworlds of all the new "next gen" ( :roll: ) RPGs (Gothic 3, Oblivion, Two Worlds) look like plastic toy lands populated by action figures?

Jora said:
Why do the gameworlds of all the new "next gen" ( :roll: ) RPGs (Gothic 3, Oblivion, Two Worlds) look like plastic toy lands populated by action figures?

Use of some popular shader feature gives such nasty plastic looking side-effect. (Doom 3 and Quake 4 also suffered from it terribly). Can't remember exactly, which one though.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Yes yes yes... but being a German company (not sold to EA/other big publishers) and the fact that there's still no official info (nor site) about the game besided the one on the above link, makes it difficult to judge.
Since it's a Q3 release, I think we'll see much more details in the near future.

VD: Why don't you send a nice e-mail to the devs and ask for a Q&A section?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Pr()ZaC said:
a) we don't know enough at this point to ask *good* questions, and asking generic questions or questions buying into the hype is lame
b) I'm already doing 6 interviews at this point.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Pr()ZaC said:
a) we don't know enough at this point to ask *good* questions, and asking generic questions or questions buying into the hype is lame

Really? Which devs?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Greatatlantic said:
Vault Dweller said:
Pr()ZaC said:

Really? Which devs?
All kind.:wink: MCA is next. I had his answers for a month, but it turned into an actual dialogue, where we commented on each other points, and now he's waiting for the latest round of comments to be approved by powers that be.

Micmu

Magister
The game offers a unique opportunity to influence the game world - unseen, to this scale, in other Role Playing games. Freedom of choice (like freedom to join or betray various organizations) and the importance of every decision are the core mechanisms to evoke the sense of meaningful play.

Depending on the way that a problem is solved, the player gains or loses their reputation in certain organizations, various options are being closed or opened, quests are offered and new locations are unlocked. For example, a player must decide whether to help a city hold off the invasion of orcs or to secretly open the gates and let the invaders in. The latter decision will result in an onslaught and the take over of the city by the barbaric hordes. The next time the player visits this location, it will be populated and managed by orcs, unless the human army arrives and tries to liberate the city. The world lives its own life, but the player has the power to change it. The challenge lies in finding the right "strings" and skilfully "pulling" them.
This hype sounds MUCH better than bethesda's craptastic "we want you to join all and see all" philosophy and fixed events.
But then again, this is also an action/RPG available for XBox360, so I don't expect too much. For now.
G3 is still at the top of my list in that genre.

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
MCA is next. I had his answers for a month, but it turned into an actual dialogue, where we commented on each other points, and now he's waiting for the latest round of comments to be approved by powers that be.
Could anything sound cooler?

-------

IGN has interviewed the project leader of Two Worlds:

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/693/693265p1.html

Combat, because it is the most important way to solve the problems, and also the most attractive.

Lumpy

Arcane
We tell the story mainly through dialogues, but some events will be shown in non-interactive cutscenes. Actually, there is a fair number of both dialogues and cutscenes in the game. All speeches are voice-overed by professional actors. One thing you will not see in Two Worlds, however, are unnecessarily multiple dialogue options that give you the illusion of freedom, but change nothing. If there is a choice, it is not declared in dialogue, but must be done in the gameplay. Dialogues only illustrate and summarize what players have done and sometimes provide more information. Two Worlds is a role-playing, not a role-speaking game.
Really, you can't expect talking to a NPC rudely to have that big an effect. Still, it should be an option.

We assumed that inventing a unique setting wouldn't add anything valuable to our game. Okay, we break some rules, more than you would expect when looking at the game for the first time, but we generally stick to the schemes accepted in popular fantasy. And for good reason. The game starts with rather confusing events and later on, the plot only thickens as the story unfolds. To achieve the feeling of surprise, we wanted something seemingly well known, but then we twist it in quite an unpredictable way.
Yeah, screw originality. Miner Dwarves and brutish Orcz are t3h pwnzorz.

aboyd

Liturgist
I love the idea that certain areas/options are opened or closed to the played depending upon his or her actions, but their animosity toward dialogue (reading is teh hard!) rubs me the wrong way.

-T

The Internets

Scholar
Helioth said:

That doesn't look too bad, but it seems as if we've got another Speed Tree title on our hands.

With a price tag of only a couple thousand bucks per license you're guaranteed to see this middle-ware in more titles. Problem is, I think Speed Tree's quality and technology is a major step backwards.

Using Sprite based textures isn't bad in theory, but in practice we'll soon see how Oblivions long draw distances look more like messy watercolors than actual forrest. Some of the more honest early reviews already note the issue, and anyone who's loaded up the Speed Tree demo knows what I'm talking about.

The end result is a forrest that's more half ass than half believable. Oblivion will be the first confirmation of this problem, and more titles will follow, including 2 Worlds and Gothic 3.

This isn't the end of the world, but believable forrest settings would be nice, especially stuff like object collision. If developers keep skimping on story and player development the least they could do is make the world more interactive.

Voltare

Liturgist
Why do the gameworlds of all the new "next gen" ( Rolling Eyes ) RPGs (Gothic 3, Oblivion, Two Worlds) look like plastic toy lands populated by action figures?

I've noticed , in the engine i'm using, a newly released update to it added a "bloom" effect.
It seems to add an extra, unnatural layer of lighting to characters and objects, indeed making them look plasticy

Drain

Scholar
Hilarious thread wrote:
Looks like Qauke with swords. Bah, Oblivion isn't just about the combat system but I'd be happy if everybody that thought so started to populate the 2 world forums instead. :)

Voltare

Liturgist
Fighting

The real time half-automatic combat in Two Worlds is very dynamic. Lavish visuals and stunning choreography make for exciting and memorable scenes and attract action-hungry players. The real power of combat, however, lies in its mechanics. Combat is very tactical in its core. The number of possible tactics should satisfy all RPG gamers - giving them the opportunity to test their skills and use their imagination.

The combat is organized in a sequence of actions. The basic ones are launched automatically (i.e. simple slash with the sword). However, special actions, skills, or items must be activated by players. The more challenging the opponent, the more skill and tactics it will require to outwit them, but at the same time it will be possible to face a stronger foe and win. Players will discover different ways to use and combine skills. They will seek for weak points in the opponent's defence and actively create situations to utilize this knowledge. They will set traps, hit and run, or just cut their way through hordes of weaker monsters.

so.....we're talking diablo 3 here?And just what the hell is " real time half-automatic combat....that is very dynamic and very tactical???"

The basic ones are launched automatically (i.e. simple slash with the sword)

methinks someone played a zeal paladin in d2 waaaaaaay too much.......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom