Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny 1.2, no DLC: The Roguey Report

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You may find these interviews informative: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10370

Oh, the interview where Megan Starks namedropped Fallout 3, The Walking Dead and Firefly in the same sentence! :D

Forget Starks. Listen to the lead narrative designer:
Matt Maclean, Lead Narrative Designer: The dark setting was one of the original pillars of the game’s design. ‘What if evil won?’ was the question asked in the earliest pitch documents. So ‘evil setting’ was an owner mandate from day one and as far as design constraints go, that’s a fun burden to have around your neck.

Our inspirations included The Black Company, the Fallout series of games (Obsidian created Fallout: New Vegas), and the ‘What if evil won?’ question was unavoidably read as ‘What if Sauron won?’ so there’s always a little Lord of the Rings in any modern fantasy, though I’m proud to say we don’t have elves or dwarves or a lovable midget race of any kind.

For my own interpretation of the question ‘What if evil won?’, I’ve always assumed the answer would be ‘sounds like real life.’ Evil wins when people learn (or are shaped by ignorance) to accept it as required and normal. So most of my own inspiration for Tyranny has come from real life. I’ve never read a book or seen a movie with a fictional villain as fascinating as Alan Dulles, Qin Shi Huang, or Kim Jong-Il.

GR: Did you take any ideas from books, games, or movies for this environment of evil winning? Which and how?

MacLean: The Black Company was very influential, with is an excellent show of a world wherein the cast of characters know the stories and myths of the magical bigwigs but are only semi-aware of how it all actually works. Black Company also had a great sense of soldiers-as-people and it didn’t fall into the brash-hero/peasant-savior nonsense that most fantasy novels can’t help but repeat to death.

Myth: The Fallen Lords was also a big influence, with its grim take on the true cost of being a hero. Myth was also inspired by Black Company, and like Myth, Tyranny features magical sociopaths with personality-driven powers set alongside grim, desperate regular folk trying their best not to die.

A world wherein there’s one big evil dude on top really only works when it’s sold with great big lies that get the average person invested in the evil (or just dependent upon it), instead of willing to resist it. And for evil to win long term, it also needs to be immune to self-implosion (since we’ve all read enough fantasy literature to know that evil defectors are involved in 9 out of 10 evil regicides). So with that in mind, I’ve found most of my inspiration comes from non-fiction: fascism, American exceptionalism, drug cartels, capitalist corporations, and militaries through the ages have all provided a great deal of inspiration as to how evil wins.

Sounds like Glen Cook was a huge influence—no wonder I liked Tyranny so much. I hope someone turns The Black Company into a game now that it’s being made into a TV show.

So is Myth: The Fallen Lords any good? Looks like it’s a real time tactics game, which sounds intriguing, but I guess I missed it since it came out right at the beginning of the RPG renaissance.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex Year of the Donut
Loading screens make this game unplayable. They managed to somehow make them worse than PoE, absolutely amazing.

AI massively improved from the release version but I can't stand staring at loading screens, I give up.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Sounds like Glen Cook was a huge influence—no wonder I liked Tyranny so much. I hope someone turns The Black Company into a game now that it’s being made into a TV show.
Well, it's not that discreet an influence. From soulcatcher/nerat to the lady/kyros, the rebels getting fucked, silly names like kills-in-shadow..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And much like a true alt-righter, the guy has the urge to race mix.

wtf
DEiNIqeUwAAmtTW.jpg

alt-right-race-preservation-smol-asian-gf-27476342.png

And so on.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Well, it's not that discreet an influence. From soulcatcher/nerat to the lady/kyros, the rebels getting fucked, silly names like kills-in-shadow..

Graven Ashe is actually the most Cook-like name in the game. I half thought they’d taken it from one of the Garrett P.I. books. But yeah, I guess the whole plot of the Archons turning on each other is lifted wholesale from the backbiting among the Ten who were Taken.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

The resemblance is definitely there now that you guys mention it. You never really learn how shit works except that it results in a lot of dead bodies.

Btw, does Black Company get any better past the first book? I was expecting gritty tales from the trenches... or whatever fantasy equivalent there is, lots of gore, detailed battle descriptions and anarchic nihilism. Instead all you get is people talking about stuff that has no relevance to the reader, fanciful descriptions of a magic you have no clue as to how it works or what it can do, and supposedly hard-as-nails mercenaries being scared shitless all the time. If it wasn't for all the soldier talk that adds some atmosphere, it might just be the worst book I've ever read.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I, too, read the Black Company. I did it to specifically get hyped up for the Tyranny release. Worlds with fascism or some other "evil" ideology taking control are too few. We need more stories like them. The kind where Darth Vader is obviously the good guy enforcing order and bringing stability for the greater glory of humanity.

Absolutely degenerate.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

The resemblance is definitely there now that you guys mention it. You never really learn how shit works except that it results in a lot of dead bodies.

Btw, does Black Company get any better past the first book? I was expecting gritty tales from the trenches... or whatever fantasy equivalent there is, lots of gore, detailed battle descriptions and anarchic nihilism. Instead all you get is people talking about stuff that has no relevance to the reader, fanciful descriptions of a magic you have no clue as to how it works or what it can do, and supposedly hard-as-nails mercenaries being scared shitless all the time. If it wasn't for all the soldier talk that adds some atmosphere, it might just be the worst book I've ever read.

If you didn’t like the first one, you probably won’t like the rest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Addendum: I played it again, this time on the rebel path and have additional thoughts.

There's plenty of text, but fewer text walls

There are still too many text walls, which is particularly noticeable on a replay. Some of it is my fault, but it's also the game's fault because it hides things that modify favor/wrath and loyalty/fear in non-critical nodes which encourages exploring them. Baldur's Gate had the right idea long ago by putting all text about the lore in books that lore chumps can dive into to their heart's content while keeping actual dialogue free of non-pertinent history/civics lessons.

I played as a woman this time and noticed that there are far too many playersexual NPCs at the beginning of the game who give you the same flirtatious lines they give male characters. I believe Obsidian should have done a pass to make some of the women straight and some of the men exclusively interested in women (having guys flirt with guys without explicit prompting doesn't end well as Bioware found out with Anders).

C&C and narrative reactivity, while certainly there, wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be. For example, you're presented with the option to betray the rebels after getting on their good side

KAOv44o.jpg

However I don't doubt that Eb runs away after you select attack given that the scenario plays out more or less the same (with palette-swapped enemies), even down to the boss fight in the hall. Felt contrived, like they were too afraid of having you undercut their narrative with an anticlimax. If you're really into going through this with different builds I suppose it's nice that you can read extremely different dialogue at least four times.

I traveled with Verse, Kills-in-Shadow, and Sirin this time around. Warmed up to Verse, remain neutral-positive about KiS, and I still dislike Sirin, but only because of her personality, not because she's poorly written with the exception of one particular poorly-worded sentence in what's otherwise quality banter:

BWjS9dk.jpg

And on the subject of of Robert Land's writing, I'm reasonably confident he's the one who dropped this Monty Python reference. My second choice would be Kirsch. There's no way Starks could have done it (though I'm confident she wrote the cheerily-annoying Acacia whose text walls I didn't bother to screencap).

m2AguR0.jpg

Of course MacLean dropped a Dredd reference that I skipped out on the first time around since my character said No to drugs.

6mxKPSC.jpg

I also noticed quite a few more weird dialogue bugs in act 3 this time around. I guess the rebel path wasn't tested nearly as well as the disfavored. I personally blame their hack QA lead.

I played on normal this time, and while less demanding, there were few points where I could cruise all the way on autopilot. The spell customization was indeed fun to mess around with, though the cooldown system meant there was a lot of rote repetition (start nearly every fight with 2-eventually-3 rimespikes as an alpha strike, then just go down the list until everything's on cooldown). I've come to the conclusion that the PoE/Tyranny style of frequently having enemies with mixed armor types is actually annoying, and it should be more like D&D where it occurs less frequently.

I was able to go through the entire thing without being concerned too much about strategic character-building/pre-buffing up until the Bleden Mark/Tunon one-two punch. Those tough sponges required my all. When Tunon was near-death, he cast some sort of insta-kill spell on all my party members, which made for a rather tense and epic stand-off (though I suppose that player-punch could screw some builds/players and they'd have to do both fights all over again :P).

I don't plan to revisit Tyranny any time in the near-future, but if I ever do pick it up again, I'll likely play it on storytime just to check out Voices-of-Nerat's/Bleden Mark's paths. While fun in doses, I've had my fill of its combat. Tyranny would be better if it were 15 hours or so like Alpha Protocol, South Park, and Dungeon Siege III since it really doesn't have enough of interest to support its abbreviated-by-RPG-standards 25-40 hour playing time. Blame it on Feargus for raiding its budget to finish Pillars of Eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom