Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
More games definitely need to start you in position of some power, not so much power that you are ultimate authority but some that you have weight to your decisions and its consequences. Especially as a representative of an organisational power with force behind it, be it a state or company whatever else it is. It feels like so many RPGs are all rags to riches rebel stories where individual power is put above all else, which is very American now that I think of it.

I'd love to see a game that started the PC in a position of power that was in some way under political siege. The first act could be trying to retain that power and failing. Subsequent acts could be rebuilding your powerbase and making those responsible pay. It'd give a better reason for the rags to riches progression, and revenge tales seem like a decent fit for the RPG format.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'd love to see a game that started the PC in a position of power that was in some way under political siege. The first act could be trying to retain that power and failing. Subsequent acts could be rebuilding your powerbase and making those responsible pay. It'd give a better reason for the rags to riches progression, and revenge tales seem like a decent fit for the RPG format.
Dragon Age: Origins, Human Noble origin. Replace 'first act' with prologue, and the revenge is only a side-plot.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I really liked the Fatebinder aspect of Tyranny. It felt natural to go around passing judgement and end disputes.

The quests you do in the game aren't that different from other RPG's, but it usually feels weird for your knight/security guard/special agent to burst into people's arguments and settle them. Tyranny on the other hand built the entire game around it - it's your job.

Starwars

Arcane
I really liked how Tyranny started out. First with the conquest thing and then the first act where, yes, you got a shitty job in trying to get the two whiny Archons to work. But I think the game succeeded in making it feel like... yeah, you're a powerful dude. You can throw your weight around. Even if you had to do some shitty tasks, you had the opportunity to tell people "I'm the fucking Fatebinder" and they would be scared. That was really nice I think.

But once that act closes, the game turns into a more standard mishmash of "regular" RPG things. And that just takes away from the feeling of being the Fatebinder. I mean, the Old Walls is boring as shit, classic shitty non-creative RPG dungeon delving. Like it was a mark on a checklist. And the amount of mooks you have to carve through... again, standard RPG filler shit, even though in Tyranny most of them happen to be human and not wolves or whatever. I also don't think it was a great move to have a classic RPG companion system in the game because in my mind, as a Fatebinder, it just doesn't feel like it's my thing to buddy up with all these different people.

When Tyranny works, I think it works superbly. It's just that you have to go through quite a lot of cookiecutter, checkmark RPG shit to get there, which is exactly what I didn't want from a game like Tyranny. It's a bit of a shame. It would've been nicer if it was some combination of the conquest section and the first act instead, some sort of decisionmaking, text adventure, RPG hybrid where it's more about making decisions rather than running around, checking for traps, getting to know the backstory of companions and slaughtering a million people in RtwP combat.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
One of the things that's really interesting in Tyranny is that the stakes change dramatically with each act. In PoE, the difference between Act 1 and Act 2 is that you've gone from Gilded Vale to Defiance Bay. In Tyranny, your relationship with the rest of the world fundamentally changes when you activate a Spire, and then later become an Archon. It felt like the story had the potential to go anywhere, even if Obsidian didn't realize that potential well.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also I really liked the spell creation system, even if "balance" wasn't exactly its second name (or because of it).

czerepacha

Novice
After playing Kingmaker for a significant time, came back to this game, and holy shit. Tyranny is still inferior to Kingmaker, but boy is it snappy. The UI is great, literally all menus, looting etc. happens instantly. I didnt realize how much time in Kingmaker you are spending just waiting or getting frustrated at UI latency (fucking looting OMG).

I like this game. Spell creation and sigil 'research' cool. Combat is grindy and bad, but has some good encounters.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:necro:

Just started playing Tranny. First 2 hours already vastly more enjoyable than the Endless Hours in Od Nua (or the other 10% that makes up Pillars of Eternity) or the NPC HP bloat of Pathfinder Deadmaker. And it has a strange world without being banalshitboring like Numanuma.

It's literally the best of all the kikestarter RPGs recently. What the hell?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

Just started playing Tranny. First 2 hours already vastly more enjoyable than the Endless Hours in Od Nua (or the other 10% that makes up Pillars of Eternity) or the NPC HP bloat of Pathfinder Deadmaker. And it has a strange world without being banalshitboring like Numanuma.

It's literally the best of all the kikestarter RPGs recently. What the hell?
Tyranny makes a pretty strong first impression. It doesn't keep its erection until climax.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Basically yes, Tyranny has an extremely strong first act, decent second act and just ends abruptly and disgracefully. It also has somewhat repetitive combat, mostly due encounters rather than system. In a more just world Tyranny would be the flagship of Obsidian kickstarts instead of being the game that was pillaged for resources and left to rot.

Better premise, better setting, better narrative design, more interesting characters. You name it. It was very heavily mismarketed as a game however.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Basically yes, Tyranny has an extremely strong first act, decent second act and just ends abruptly and disgracefully. It also has somewhat repetitive combat, mostly due encounters rather than system. In a more just world Tyranny would be the flagship of Obsidian kickstarts instead of being the game that was pillaged for resources and left to rot.

Better premise, better setting, better narrative design, more interesting characters. You name it. It was very heavily mismarketed as a game however.

Compared to the other games the Dex fellates?

Pillars of Eternity? - first 10 minutes BYWYC , then the endless combat with no XP?

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - 1700000HP for a rat, put 20 rats in a room, 20 rooms in a row? - this is Codex GOTY material?

At least TRANNY has good combat when it isn't bugging out.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Tyranny's combat has some decent novel ideas for a RTWP. It is mostly just that, there is little variety in enemies and encounter design. Those are easier to fix though, it is the foundation that is better.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Tyranny wasn't kickstarted. It was published and funded by Paradox.

Why the fake news?

Because it looks the same and uses the same civ4 engine as all the kickstarter shit. Also same interface.

I'm saying it's better, you're attacking the wrong side here. Kinda like the kkkrimson kkkorus.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Worst thing I can say about it is that I barely remember it, and I finished the fucking game. I don't think it's bad, just painfully meh, same as PoE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Because it looks the same and uses the same civ4 engine as all the kickstarter shit. Also same interface.

I'm saying it's better, you're attacking the wrong side here. Kinda like the kkkrimson kkkorus.
Kickstarter games are shaped in large part by their stretch goals and in-game backer awards, something Tyranny didn't have to deal with.

eXalted

Arcane
During the end of my playthrough, it became one big mess.

Somehow I ended up killing everyone everywhere. I just hated the incompetency of the Archons, made some decisions here and there and my whole late game consisted of me clearing maps from every faction out there. Felt weird and rushed.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I really wish the solo route was more fleshed out, you just kill everyone and there is no alternatives iirc at all.

I think the only character I liked was Tunon. Magic is amazing with how customizable it is. Fights similar to PoE which had a lot of trash combat or something. Liked the story a lot more than PoE, it had some C&C which was cool. overall a lot more enjoyable than PoE1 which I dropped and didn't finish and probably 2 as well.

eXalted

Arcane
All I remember from Tyranny combat is wisps and more wisps. Why wisps? The most boring enemy ever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All I remember from Tyranny combat is wisps and more wisps. Why wisps? The most boring enemy ever.
They didn't want to include traditional fantasy races and creatures, so the choices were people, beastpeople, and the different flavors of ghost in the dungeons.

eXalted

Arcane
They didn't want to include traditional fantasy races and creatures, so the choices were people, beastpeople, and the different flavors of ghost in the dungeons.
I liked the idea of not having monsters and weird creatures, but wisps feels so uninspired.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I liked the idea of not having monsters and weird creatures, but wisps feels so uninspired.
Quote from the artbook:
We wanted some sort of non-human enemy for Tyranny and we knew we didn't want to use orc-like or zombie-like monsters, but something in stark contrast to the bipedal generic human form. We went with a more ethereal look. We knew early on we wanted different sub-species of ethereal monsters, each a different flavor of unsettling.

I got the impression that they didn't do anything crazier with that due to budget and time constraints rather than lack of inspiration, but maybe that's just me.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Played the game when it came out. Tried a few playthroughs, ended up on murderhobo run. It was ok, good start but kinda fell apart in mid, especially towards the end i stopped caring and just wanted to get it over with. Didnt replay after even with the pathches.
Sad :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom