Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Creating a character. Ugh. Isn't it an established fact that only 2% of rpg players are black? Yet we have 9 white male portraits, and 6 black male portraits. Because of that, there's only 1 mage portrait and it sucks. I have to figure out how to use custom portraits now. Fucking californians.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Creating a character. Ugh. Isn't it an established fact that only 2% of rpg players are black? Yet we have 9 white male portraits, and 6 black male portraits. Because of that, there's only 1 mage portrait and it sucks. I have to figure out how to use custom portraits now. Fucking californians.
The nigga with the golden helmet looks kool though

Sentinel

Arcane
So lets see...
- Shallow reactivity
- Poor encounters
- Poor itemization
- Disappointing story

also

- Still have to micro companions because fuck coding a proper AI

Verdict: No buy.
Have people finished the game yet or something?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
From Reddit:

Steven from PC Gamer here. I'll be around all day today so if you have any specific questions about the game or my feelings on it, I'd be happy to answer them.

-

Sadly, I don't think upping the challenge stops combat from getting repetitive. In most cases, you're going to encounter the same groups of enemies again and again. This game suffers heavily from a lack of diversity and I would've killed for some genre tropes like wolves or something. Even the bane, the big bad monsters, aren't that interesting to fight and swarm you in the same few flavors again and again.

That said, I'm definitely looking forward to going back and seeing how the game holds up on a tougher challenge. There is definite potential there (maybe even room for a post-launch patch). In the final act, the boss battles were a huge challenge that really pushed me to my limits and tested my abilities managing my party. I want to see that more throughout the whole game.

-

Part of the reason I dropped it to easy however was an issue with party members not reacting fast enough. I'd give them the order to run away, but they'd fail to move in time.

That contributes to my point that the companion AI can be pretty dumb and hard to deal with. Also had lots of problems like them making terrible decisions on what abilities to use when and pathfinding problems that would sometimes get them killed.

-

I think it's not a great idea to tie the AI smartness to the difficulty level because it diminishes the learning curve while making combat less fun. I would way rather have the difficulty doll out handicaps against my opponents on their stats (which it does) but still have to compensate for them actually trying rather than having every encounter turn into a snooze-fest melee where the AI lets me destroy them without putting up much of a fight. That also isn't to mention my larger complaints of the combat being that each encounter is basically the same handful of dudes again and again. It's tiresome.

-

In a sense, I totally agree that in a game like The Division, making enemies bigger bullet sponges isn't fun. At the same time, I also think it's kinda lame that everyone I fight on normal difficulty doesn't have any real semblance of strategy or cohesion as a unit. They basically let you kill them one by one, so it's not fun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5c8172/tyranny_review_thread/#s

Azarkon

Arcane
Another Obsidian game with repetitive enemies and party members that get in your way? Not surprised.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How do you add custom portraits? I can't find any info on paradox forums.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Found this bug report, lol.

294c01eace6549bc754f358ec8d73f5e.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
People have already completed the whole game? Or reviewers got copies earlier?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And here are the spoilers we have all been waiting for!

Who is Kyros?

BcTyEBd.png

What happens in the endgame?

OAYLnWk.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Tsk, why do that to yourself, Bubbles.

I knew what happened at the end of Ulysses too, but it didn't hurt my enjoyment of the book. Spoilers are overrated.

People have already completed the whole game? Or reviewers got copies earlier?

Reviewers (and I suspect more than a few people pretending to be reviewers :M) got copies earlier.

You also qualify for review copies if you only post user reviews on Steam. The bar is really low these days.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are currently 12.358 active players. I don't know if that's good or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's decent. Steamspy (not updated yet, of course) shows that as close to the number of owners, so the number of actual owners must currently be multiple times that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm more interested in seeing the much hyped "evil". I assume it's the same old shit?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

It's decent. Steamspy (not updated yet, of course) shows that as the number of owners, so the number of actual owners must currently be multiple times that.

PoE's launch day peak was 31k. If Tyranny can reach a third of that player base, they'll probably be pretty happy; that would translate to over 100k copies sold within the first month. But it's still a bit too early to say.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm in wait and see mode before I buy, though who knows how long that will last. For people who've put in a few hours:

>Tone/writing: cartoon network evil, goody good version of "ROAR KILL BABIES" evil, or actual interesting nuance?
>Combat: easier/harder, varied/repetitive, relative to POE?

Fairfax

Arcane
Guess the AMA and the reviews seems to have helped the game. It's at #1 on Steam, above Dishonored 2 (which comes out tomorrow).

Msk6ZXJ.png
So the top sellers list is regional now? Pretty sure it used to be WW.

It's decent. Steamspy (not updated yet, of course) shows that as the number of owners, so the number of actual owners must currently be multiple times that.

PoE's launch day peak was 31k. If Tyranny can reach a third of that player base, they'll probably be pretty happy; that would translate to over 100k copies sold within the first month. But it's still a bit too early to say.
It's at 12,746.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More comments from PC Gamer:

My complaints about diversity largely stem from the combat. Instead of the typical crowd of fantasy monsters, you're mostly killing soldiers who have some nuance but largely feel the same: mages, tanks, and hard-hitting but frail damage dealers. There's the bane, which are elemental creatures, but even they don't have much diversity as you're mostly fighting fire or frost banes again and again.

But yeah, Tyranny's greatest asset is the worldbuilding and lore and if that doesn't interest you, I'm not so sure the rest will entice you.

---

As far as gameplay goes, I think it's probably safe to say that Tyranny is in the same vein of PoE but tries to trim the fat and make the whole experience more leaner. If you're familiar with it, think of what Dragon Age 2 tried to do over Dragon Age but not nearly as drastic and much more successfully.

My Dragon Age 2 comparison has legs!

And here's some insight into modern games journalism:

"Have you played Planescape: Torment?"

I've dabbled in it over the years but my god is that game demanding, and it hasn't aged as well unfortunately. I still think about forcing myself through it every few years though.

I will say that Tyranny does a damn good job of abstracting the concept of evil in a way that is far more realistic and believable.

---

I never completely beat BGII and I was like 14 the last time I played it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5c8172/tyranny_review_thread/

Compare those quotes with what he writes in his review:

When the story isn't pushing you to make specific decisions or bombarding you with repetitive combat, it feels like it could have rivalled the likes of Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment.

http://www.pcgamer.com/tyranny-review/

How would you know, dude? You haven't finished either game :argh:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Do you get XP for combat?

Is the combat not balanced ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom