Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Starwars

Arcane
Yeah, it's a very strange decision. I mean, if they would've just focused on having an Oldwalls thing where you uncover more about the lore of it all, I think that'd be fine... but it commits the same mistakes again. Boring fucking puzzles with keystones and shit, as well as boring fights with the most boring of enemies. And there is quite a lot of it.

I mean, did *anyone* react positively to the Oldwalls and their design in the original game? It's just weird.

Guess it's an easy way to pad out the game length a bit.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
obsidian should hire aweigh for writing!

I already thought he wrote Verse.

Still hoping for Tyranny to get Pillars of Eternity 3.0 treatment. This game can be great if the promise of diverse combat abilities and interesting mechanics that actually affect anything is fulfilled.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still hoping for Tyranny to get Pillars of Eternity 3.0 treatment. This game can be great if the promise of diverse combat abilities and interesting mechanics that actually affect anything is fulfilled.

Sawyer is the only person at Obsidian who even cares about these things.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Sawyer is the only person at Obsidian who even cares about these things.

I don't want to think everyone else just likes their RPGs as a feature kitchensink. I'm not asking for the ultrahardcore mode for true RPG fans, just that there's some challenge after you realize how the mechanics work and some value in using advanced game mechanics.

I would have prefered Tyranny not have all this crafting, artifacts, comboattacks and many advanced abilities. Nothing wrong with the game having a limited number of stuff, Tyranny would still have lots of replayability and interplay if they'd remove all the high level abilities. It would look more elegant and better thought out, not giving me the choice between pressing familiar "you win" combination and spending time for finding a new fancy way to press "you win 5% faster" button.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Combo attacks are not advanced abilities. In fact they are only useful at the beginning of the game, provided that you can build up favor/wrath fast (that is if you bother to exhaust the exposition lore dumps dialogue options). Later on you'll have much better individual options then using the turns of TWO of your party members to achieve a mediocre effect.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
By advanced I mean requires more effort and involvement. Just as you've said - you have to build up relations and use two characters at a time. It's not that hard, of course, but it's certainly harder than casting that initial hero ability you upgrade throughout the game.

Crafting and artifact improvement and later spell customization is not that hard either. I would love for the game to throw at me challenges that require it. Relations with factions give you abilities that look like they'd be very useful in combat like severing Blue Dudes link to Blue General. I can imagine great devastating satisfying interplay between abilities, using combos and artifacts and specialized equipment. Or I can use the same simple attacks that destroy Blue Dudes, Red Dudes, Magical CGI and everyone else with equal effectiveness. Hmm, which of that I'll try once and which will I use every other time rushing to the end?..

Flou

Arbiter
Yeah, it's a very strange decision. I mean, if they would've just focused on having an Oldwalls thing where you uncover more about the lore of it all, I think that'd be fine... but it commits the same mistakes again. Boring fucking puzzles with keystones and shit, as well as boring fights with the most boring of enemies. And there is quite a lot of it.

I mean, did *anyone* react positively to the Oldwalls and their design in the original game? It's just weird.

Guess it's an easy way to pad out the game length a bit.

Most likely it's just a way to cut costs since it doesn't require that much new graphics and animations and if it's about cost, then the fault lies at Paradox. I doubt any designer really wants to create more of the same or if they do, then they are in the wrong profession.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-patch-notes-1-2-1.1048614/

Tyranny Patch Notes - 1.2.1

Hey everyone! These are the patch-notes for our latest patch that will release in just about an hour!

The 1.2.1 patch addresses multiple issues, many of the more prevalent issues are listed below. Please note that many of these notes contain spoilers:
  • 'Sneak Attack' talent will no longer stack with itself when used repeatedly.
  • Passives removed from Respec'ing or upgrading to a higher talent are now properly removed from the character.
  • Weeping Whispers will no longer apply bleeding to allies that target the wearer with a buff. (This was resulting in allies turning against the party in some cases)
  • Loading a save from a previous patch will no longer get players stuck in World Map Events nor Ambushes.
  • Spell slots are now properly removed when the item/talent granting them are removed.
  • Updated Tooltip on maps that are inaccessible due to party members not being active in the party, to better convey why the map is locked.
  • Throwing knives and Javelins now properly received the accuracy bonus from the Duelist Talents.
  • Fixed an edge case where some Skill Checks could display a value of -1.
  • Heartseeker Base Damage no longer scales with character level.
  • Removed an errant sigil from Phaedrus's Store.
  • Re-added a missing string from Rixatrix's piglet.
  • Imported versions of Weeping Whispers now have the correct reputation strings.
  • Silvercore's Cumbersome ability description now lists itself only once in the recovery UI.
  • Recruit Selina now offers training in One Handed instead of Subterfuge.
  • Blood Mulch is now listed correctly for his lines in act 3.
  • Re-added some translated strings for unlocking spell notifications.
  • Rebounding Blade now uses the correct icon when targeting.
  • Re-added multiple missing strings to the base game.
  • Updated Weeping Whispers to more consistently affect Recovery Time.
  • Updated World Map Events UI to better display the reputation changes for Companions.
  • Circular Reasoning now displays its projectile correctly if imported to New Game+
  • Updated some visual and sound effects for Edicts in world map event scenes.
  • Updated the World Map Event UI to better display multiple reputation changes from a single choice.
  • VFX for the Edict for of Storms now appear correctly at the Sentinel Stand Outskirts
  • Improved the load time of the Title Screen.
  • Reputation changes in World Map Events now display the correct information for the change.
  • Fixed an edge case where the audio for the End Game Cutscene may mute the VO track.
  • Updating the Targeting UI in Bastard's Wound scenes to display more consistently.
  • Overwriting Paradox Clouds saves will now automatically flag the new save for syncing with the Paradox Cloud.
  • Updated Paradox Cloud save UI so new saves can have the Sync State picked before saving.
  • Updated Character Shadows in some Bastard's Wound Scenes.
  • Updated Title Screen News button to not clip with DLC banners when using localized text.
  • Fixed various typos.
Spoilers
  • Barik's Dialog no longer ends pre-maturely when speaking with him after completing Never Free
  • Tide Together now completes correctly when telling Wagstaff that the player let Phoibe go free but still giving him Phoibe's tome.
  • Knapping on the Job now completes correctly (and allows other quests to start) when telling Jaspos that Argaen is dead.
  • Characters will no longer path under the water in the Bastard's Wound.
  • Speaking to Basila for Knapping on the Job will now point the Fatebinder to
  • South Haven if the Forge-Bound have already left Lethian's Crossing.
  • Jaspos & Wagstaff will now speak with the Fatebinder at the end of Knapping on the Job/Tide Together, even if they are very upset with the Fatebinder for past decisions.
  • Eb and Lantry both react to the correct NPC being placed in charge of the Wound.
  • Updated the Chronicles from Truth and Reconciliation to no longer glow when loading a save that had already discovered that chronicle.
  • Jaspos & Wagstaff now direct the player to speak with Mell if they are at odds with the player (Leading to the start of the History of the Oldwalls quest)
  • Updated the end game slides to better match with Anarchist players who remain loyal to Kyros.
  • Updated the Berry Fields scene so that VO'd lines at the start of a dialog will correctly play the VO.
  • Reef-Talon now appears in the Wellspring Cascade if she stays in Bastard's Wound after the final decision is made for the area.
  • Updated Wagstaff dialog so that Eb will react correctly even if the Fatebinder killed Insipid Moniker before meeting Wagstaff.
  • Updated Berry bush second interaction to give resting bonuses upon completing the cut-scene.
  • Imperator's Oldwalls Regalia no longer grants armor at higher qualities.
  • Speaking to Lexeme after triggering the Lullaby Cut-Scene will not repeat the cut-scene.

_V_

Scholar
Just finished. Didn't solve some puzzles (oldwalls). Some in the main game seem to be quest locked.
But the one in Bastard's Wound, too? And is there any way to remove Lullaby (as it seems to be the root of the poison in the water and to a certain degree the sleepless)?
Spoil me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I started playing Tyranny this weekend and so far I am enjoying it more than PoE. I am a bit into Act 2 atm so maybe the worst parts are to still to come but so far the story, choices and characters were enjoyable. Combat was also more enjoyable with 4 party members as it is not such a huge clusterfuck like PoE was.
What I am not enjoying are PoE level loading times...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I am now lvl 11 with my party. In Bastard's Wound currently. I am enjoying this game a lot on hard difficulty.

I took the route of rebel from the start and allied with the rebels. Probably the main reason why I am enjoying this. Now I am tasked with finding allies in a desperate fight and pretending I am still a loyal Turon's and Kyros's servant.
All the while I am waiting for Bleeding Mark to show up to kill me, solving the mystery of who is Kyros and if what I am doing is exactly what he/she/it wants and if I am being groomed to become another Archon.

The Missive system is pretty cool, I am enjoying using that. Spires are a better version of Stronghold from PoE.

Oldwell dungeons are better than what PoE had. So far game is full of C&C on at least one level above what PoE had.

Combat is serviceable. Cooldown system is a decline compared to PoE but with lowering party members to 4 combat is now manageable (I didn't yet need to use slow mode in Tyranny but I used that all the time in PoE). Also I enjoy focusing on certain skills during combat so I level up those skill first. And spell crafting is cool, I enjoy tweaking numbers every level or two trying to optimize my spells :D

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't HATE pillars of whatever, but the combat mechanics were dull and the equipment choices boring and meaningless beyond some mathematical calculations. The story was okay to some extent, but ultimately I just couldn't be bothered. Is Tyranny worth it with the expansion?

EDIT: Also, I played pillars when it first came out. Apparently it has turn based combat and things now? Has a lot changed?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't HATE pillars of whatever, but the combat mechanics were dull and the equipment choices boring and meaningless beyond some mathematical calculations. The story was okay to some extent, but ultimately I just couldn't be bothered. Is Tyranny worth it with the expansion?

EDIT: Also, I played pillars when it first came out. Apparently it has turn based combat and things now? Has a lot changed?
I does not have turn based combat. It only had a Sawyer level of balance patches over it and they added better AI to enemies and better AI to your guys.
Tyranny has better combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane

woawowawowa hold on

4 Party limit. No Friendly Fire. Cooldown-based Realtime Spellcasting but no resource system. No enemy variety, practically only template humans. Enemy AI always target the party member with least armor, regardless of their DMG outputs or remaining health.

Tyranny has objectively worse combat than PoE.
And still combat is terrible clusterfuck. I rather play Tyranny.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I does not have turn based combat. It only had a Sawyer level of balance patches over it and they added better AI to enemies and better AI to your guys.
Who gives a fuck. Cry about it.

PoE with patches is a lot better. Never played Tyranny, though. I'm thinking of buying it now that, I think, it's a finished game.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
PoE with patches is a lot better. Never played Tyranny, though. I'm thinking of buying it now that, I think, it's a finished game.

I haven't played it after patches but be warned: it didn't get PoE 3.0 treatment AFAIK. Encounters are repetetive and boring. Path of the damned makes the first act really challenging but after that you're rolling over everything. Later they introduce crafting and artifacts and I never used them because it was all trivial anyway. They didn't fix that I think.

nimateb

Augur
Just finished this, was pretty good. The combat is it's weak spot but at least it's clearer than PoE.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The problem is that Tyranny mixed good steps forward, better dialogue writing and better area design, the little highlight boxes with lore that were extremely good and umpteenth other things, with steps back, giant ridiculous health bars making the combat a complete chore being the main one.

It's still a good game but I wouldn't call it an outstanding or exceptional step forward, I still reckon that White March>>>Tyranny>>>PoE, and in no way is Tyranny's combat anything more than a steaming pile of garbage .

Theldaran

Liturgist
The old dilemma with CRPG: you can't have good combat, good story and good roleplaying (C&C) in one game.

I hear that DOS combat is very fun, but at the same time the story sucks. Should get DOS1 to check it out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The old dilemma with CRPG: you can't have good combat, good story and good roleplaying (C&C) in one game.

I hear that DOS combat is very fun, but at the same time the story sucks. Should get DOS1 to check it out.
In my opinion Fallout 1 and 2 had all 3 of those good (enough).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom