Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is C&C mostly cosmetic? Disappointing if so.

If you're referring to what I said about getting attacked even if you betray the rebels and try to return to Kyros' side, then not quite because the rebels still hate you too. So in theory it's an entirely new path where everybody hates you.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you're referring to what I said about getting attacked even if you betray the rebels and try to return to Kyros' side, then not quite because the rebels still hate you too. So in theory it's an entirely new path where everybody hates you.
I very much doubt this will involve 'completely new paths' akin to Witcher 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Thanks to Something Awful, I've discovered that Tyranny has undergone Bioware infiltration:

http://www.alexanderfreed.com/bibliography/

Tyranny is a fantasy role-playing game from RPG stalwart Obsidian Entertainment–a company with a choice-and-branching pedigree quite similar to BioWare’s. I served as an editorial consultant for this project, and enjoyed the opportunity to aid the writing team in that role; it’s always hard for me to turn down a chance to analyze and critique branching narrative.

I planned and wrote a portion of the content of the fourth “digital expansion” for Star Wars: The Old Republic as a freelancer. Specifically, I was responsible for the eight new “class story” missions, revisiting the themes and characters of the original game’s Player class storylines. I also wrote minor miscellaneous content (such as “light” side quests and barks).
The second “digital expansion” for Star Wars: The Old Republic introduces a new player-versus-player spaceflight component. I wrote additional content as a freelancer (including companion character dialogue and “technical specs” for ships and components).

Although not officially part of the expansion, I also wrote content for the planet Oricon, added to the game between the first two expansions.
The first “digital expansion” for Star Wars: The Old Republic continues the game’s storyline and introduces the planet Makeb. I served as Lead Writer during much of this expansion’s development and, in addition to overseeing the writing team during that time, had the privilege of writing a substantial amount of content myself (primarily focused on the Makeb Imperial faction storyline).

This expansion is also notable for introducing some of the first LGBT characters in the Star Wars universe, and while some fans criticized the addition as “too little, too late” (while others decried such additions altogether), I was very pleased to have had a part in adding diversity to a mass market franchise that, in truth, has always been unfortunately homogenous.
The largest project I’ve ever worked on–and very likely, the largest project I ever will work on, due to its unprecedented scope. This massively multiplayer online role-playing game is set several thousand years before the Star Wars films and allows players to take on the roles of eight different character types (classes) serving either the democratic Galactic Republic or the tyrannical Sith Empire. Each of the eight character classes has a unique storyline with as much quest and conversation content as a complete single-player game (a la BioWare’s Mass Effect). In addition, the game contains vast amounts of non-class specific story content that can be played solo or in groups.

Star Wars: The Old Republic was my first video game, and I could hardly have asked for a better initiation into the industry. For over half a decade, I designed areas, branching storylines, and quests; wrote interactive dialogue; and helped manage a team of over a dozen writers under the brilliant Daniel Erickson. By the time the game launched in December 2011, I had written the complete “Imperial Agent” class storyline (along with large amounts of non-class-specific content) and been promoted to Lead Writer myself.

The game launched to favorable reviews and easily surpassed subscription numbers for any other game of its type aside from the market leader, World of Warcraft. The game won four Game Developer’s Choice Awards, was selected as MSNBC’s Game of the Year for 2011, and is the Guinness World Record holder for Largest Entertainment Voice Over Project. Despite all this, the game eventually switched to a free-to-play model (by which time I had already worked with the team to develop post-launch content–see “Rise of the Hutt Cartel”–and moved on to other projects).

Of course the game has its flaws, as does the story–I certainly wouldn’t deny that. Nonetheless, I am immensely proud to have worked on the game and been part of such a terrifically talented team. This early review from PC Gamer covers much of my own work and represents, I think, the best of the critical reaction. Now and then, I still hear feedback from fans and am enormously gratified to have helped create something that touched so many people.

The first of three comic series co-written by David Gaider (who provided plots) and myself (on scripts) tying into the Dragon Age video game franchise. As Lead Writer of the franchise and author of several Dragon Age novels, David Gaider was the natural choice as the series “vision holder”–I wrote a bit about our collaborative process here.

All three series star familiar characters from the game: Alistair Theirin, Varric Tethras, and Isabela. The Silent Grove focuses on Alistair as he seeks the answer to a question with profound political and personal repercussions. He travels with his companions to distant Antiva, encounters an order of assassins, and faces off against magic. And of course there’s a dragon.

The Silent Grove was originally released as six twelve-page digital-format issues before later being collected in hardcover. I found my experience working on the seven-page Star Wars: The Old Republic comics to be a substantial aid when pacing these short, serialized episodes. Chad Hardin provided the series art, Michael Atiyeh provided colors, Michael Heisler was responsible for lettering, and Dave Marshall was our editor. Anthony Palumbo was the series cover artist.

"Editorial consultant" = a very blatant "We want the Bioware audience." :D

I'm only familiar with the Dragon Age comics he scripted. He nailed "Alistair is a big whiny baby."

4rH7JQw.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, Roguey's source: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...06905&pagenumber=845&perpage=40#post462152094

Oh hey, the guy who wrote the Imperial Agent storyline for the Old Republic (it's the best one) is writing for Tyranny. That's cool.

I was going to write a long text about how that doesn't seem likely and then ask for your sources, but yeah, no, you're right, and the source was so obvious I almost missed it, the bibliography section of his website.

Also, apparently the name of the white-haired chick was mentioned somewhere? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780898&pagenumber=6#post462152384

We now know of five possible companions : old man Lantry (healing magic and throwing daggers), human turtle Barik (damage sponge and crowd control, affiliated with the Disfavored), lady Verse (twin daggers and bow, possibly affiliated with the Scarlet Chorus), ape-wolf whose name we don't know (affiliated with the Beastmen) and white-haired, blue-clad Eb (most likely offensive magic, affiliated with the Rebels).

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Roguey ,thanks.
I've stated before that classes reminded me on KOTOR ones and rule of the two has similar equivalent in Tyranny. So, this is some kind of proof I've got the right vibe of the game.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
:killit:

You know, first I thought that Obsidian developers were like “Ok, I want to do something really good, but since most players are illiterate popamoles, we need to dumb down everything in order to survive”. Now, is more like “Ok, our target audience is those guys, the Bioware ex-fans. We need to hire that guy that worked for Bioware to keep the juices flowing – dude makes “a cha ching!” song of cash register and laughs. Let’s put that “thing” those grognards called cRPGs out there quickly, because I need more time to do really important stuff, like watching football and stuff”.

Dux

Arcane
Back in the day I used to salivate at the prospect of a new RPG, especially an isometric one. Nowadays, the anticipation just isn't there anymore. I confess, I don't know much about Tyranny and it might very well be mint in every regard. Looking at Obsidian's recent track record, however, makes me doubt it. That's all.

Obsidian really should be everything I want. Or should have been, at the very least. News of an upcoming Obsidian RPG should galvanise someone like me, instead of mildly prodding me and make me involuntarily shrug my shoulders.

Starwars

Arcane
I think they mentioned in the recent stream that VO recording was underway.

I like that guy's voice but it's always kind of a disappointment to hear voiceactors "repeat". I hope the other companions won't feel like "oh, that's Edér, and that's Sagani! And that's... etc" More variety please.

Sannom

Augur
I like that guy's voice but it's always kind of a disappointment to hear voiceactors "repeat". I hope the other companions won't feel like "oh, that's Edér, and that's Sagani! And that's... etc" More variety please.
We probably won't hear Edér, we know that guy has some range! Let's see next week if Verse has Pallegina or Sagani's voice.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Sannom

Augur
I think he's talking to Southerner, other humans. It's been implied that the Disfavored are xenophobic to the extreme.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Swtor has almost universal shit writing, even for a Bioware game, only the agent main story in the vanilla game has a semblance of fun.

Putting on your cv that you worked on the swtor expansions is like saying you live your life inspired by the deep writing and musings of the book of elves.

Fuck obsidian and their spiral of decline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think he's talking to Southerner, other humans. It's been implied that the Disfavored are xenophobic to the extreme.

If you look at the map from the most recent trailer, Kyros' empire extends to far more than just the area north of the Tiers. I didn't mention this earlier, but I find it interesting how this and the Disfavored short story imply that Kyros is taking advantage of existing regional rivalries ("Northerners" vs "Southerners") to aid in the expansion of his empire. As opposed to wiping out the cultures he assimilates, Caesar's Legion-style.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
Kyros' decision to have the Archons be relatively autonomous is already a far cry from Ceasar's Legion. The Voices of Nerat and Graven Ashe lead the spearhead of Kyros' invasion in the Tiers and they were both free to build up their armies the way they preferred, resulting in two very different factions.

Prime Junta

Kyros' decision to have the Archons be relatively autonomous is already a far cry from Ceasar's Legion. The Voices of Nerat and Graven Ashe lead the spearhead of Kyros' invasion in the Tiers and they were both free to build up their armies the way they preferred, resulting in two very different factions.

I think this is a very cool decision actually, also because it's historically correct and something that's usually done really badly in fantasy (games, films, books). If you have to rule a big sprawling empire but your fastest means of communication is a courier relay, you pretty much have to end up with satraps/prefects/governors/whatever with a lot of autonomy. I'm really happy Tyranny appears to have kept this instead of doing the usual thing where the Dark Lord does it with "magic" as the explanation. Makes things interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom