Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Tyranny Previews - Gameplay Footage and Conquest Mode Details

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

The release date for Obsidian's Tyranny was announced last week and the game was made available for pre-order, but it hasn't exactly been setting the Steam sales chart on fire. Paradox's marketing department hasn't been completely idle, though. It turns out they also gave hands-on previews to a number of gaming sites, which were published today. Most of the previews put a particular focus on "Conquest Mode", the segment of Tyranny's character creation where you determine the Fatebinder's actions prior to the beginning of the story, which we didn't get to see in August's character creation stream. It's an elaborate CYOA sequence that takes place on a board game-like strategic map. You can see that and much more in Polygon's 100+ minute gameplay video:

Here's a list of all the previews we've been able to track down:

Beyond the Conquest Mode, I would say Rock Paper Shotgun's preview has the most information about how the game itself will play. Here's an excerpt:

The ragtag rebellion should be an easy fight, but the Disfavored and the Scarlet Chorus can’t agree on tactics. As a result, the Overlord’s massive armies sit stagnant while the opposition grows stronger. You’re sent down to the Tiers to — *ahem* —convince the two armies to work together.

Your weapon? An Edict. Basically a magical contract infused with the Overlord’s power. This one’s addressed to the leaders of the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus, and says “Stop wasting time fighting each other. Take over this city within eight days or everyone in the entire valley will die.”

Yes, it’s an actual time limit a la Fallout. Once you’ve read this edict, a counter pops up at the top of the screen informing you how many days are left until all life is extinguished. Time passes whenever you leave to go to a new area (a.k.a. when traveling), and if you don’t accomplish your goal before the eight days is up?

“The game ends,” said Heins. “If you are really good and know where to go you absolutely can do everything in that eight days, though it starts getting tight.”

“We wanted the replayability and playing different paths though, and having a time limit creates a sense of urgency that maybe you don’t want to do everything. And with Kyros and the Edicts,” he continued, “we wanted to add some visual presence. The time limit felt like a good way to show this is actually urgent.”

As for whether you’ll see other time limits later, Heins said Obsidian’s experimenting with a few but they may or may not make it into the final release —and they might not all be game-ending catastrophes. “Others may just change the overall state, or what the win conditions can be. But we’re still evaluating that.”​

That's right, a time limit in an Obsidian RPG. Never thought I'd see that again. If you'd like to see more of Tyranny, gaming personality Sean "Day[9]" Plott will be broadcasting it on his Twitch channel later today, at 8PM CEST.

• Brofist x 6
    • Participation Award x 6
    • Informative x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Marten Broadcloak Learned

Marten Broadcloak
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Oh right, the one thing Fallout creators said they regret putting in the game. Good job, Obsidian!

• Funny x 9
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    How? MotB had a time limit, only it wasn't displayed as such.

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I suspect this will be more lenient than those time limits. It sounds like time won't pass when you're walking around in a single area and maybe not even when you rest. Just when you travel on the world map. Though I'm not sure how that works if there's a day-night cycle.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Gee, a time limit, what a huge fucking deal. Not really, either way. It will probably be generous enough that veteran players can do most of what they want.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Semper Arbiter

Semper
    MCA Project: Eternity
    time is set when entering a new area and won't change until you leave or rest. that would be the most elegant solution.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It'll probably sound stressful on paper but be more generous when you play the game.

It's a "cool feature" they have.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    People complain about the Fallout time limit all the time, but IIRC I didn't need half the time to finish that quest in Fallout, and I'm a shit player. Git gud fuckers.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • cuck cuck x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    P.S. Brian has got to be BSing about "adding more time limits"? That's not something you do three weeks before a game's release. If they add anything it'll be post-release.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You need prior knowledge to know exactly what you have to do and what you shouldn't do before you finish certain quests and how much you have, which is basically cheating, and this is exactly what I am going to do while playing Tyranny. Protest time limit, protest poor game design choices, use cheat engine to send a message.

• Disagree x 4
    • butthurt x 4
    • retadred x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Its probably more of a 'theoretical' complaint by OCD types who feel rushed. Has anyone ever really lost that game due to it? That must've been one slowass slug of a player. I wasn't even aware there was a time limit when I played through Fallout 1 the first time.

The time limit in Tyranny (and in F1 for that matter) supports the mcguffin and injects some sense urgency and C&C into the game early on. If done right, it could be pretty immersive.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    You don't need prior knowledge. You just follow the main quest and explore the locations you encounter on your way. And you beat the time limit in no time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    What if I want to farm max level on random radscorp encounters? I played fallout at junior school, I didn't know anything about hacking or programming back then, the only way for me to start the game with max level was to farm random encounters. I didn't expect the game to punish me for that.

• retadred x 8
    • :M x 3
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    What? You knew that there is a time limit on the main quest, I think it makes it pretty obvious that you can't waste you time on grinding. It is not prior knowledge, just common sense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What if I think its stupid to cut a cool feature to indulge a tiny minority in a very idiosyncratic playstyle?

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    The voice acting in that video is depressing. Characters are generic as fuck. :decline:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Almost every game gives you a sense of urgency yet very little actually have an arbitrary time limit. If anything, this time limit was UNlogical, considering game design fundamentals which are familiar to most players.

• decline x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Q Augur Patron

Q
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Fuck yeah - hardcore in your face!

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Q Augur Patron

Q
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Hm, the changing NPC portraits is interesting idea, but in a such an ugly form!

^ Top  
  20. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    There was a clear timelimit before your people die from thirst. How is this not logical or hard to understand? Did you think that time limit is just a joke?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I wonder if the Conquest sequence is a ploy to draw in Paradox/Crusader Kings 2 fans.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. oneself Arcane Shitposter

oneself
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    I hope that conquest sequence isn't all just for show because :bounce:

I want to get my hopes up but I don't want to be left disappointed. :negative:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Fallout's time limit was a smoke and mirrors effect to create the illusion of urgency, did anybody ever fail the main quest due to the time limit? Without doing it on purpose? Anyway, this is a pretty unsubstantial and arbitrary reason for the time limit, "rocks will fall and everyone will die" isn't really good storytelling :p

^ Top  
  24. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Not everyone is RPGsmart.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. oneself Arcane Shitposter

oneself
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    IIRC the effect of time constraint on FO1 is mostly psychological. Upon realizing that I had a time limit I felt pressured to up my pace considerably, especially given the unknown factor of travel time back and forth.

Still finished the game with good amount of time left over and at no point I was really racing against time: meaning I never had to make decisions that I did not like just to save time. Still, simply by knowing that I had a time limit regardless whether the actual effect is tangible or not bummed me out a little bit because I am used to doing everything at my own pace.

Good design just from a C&C POV, but satisfying? Not really.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)