Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Previews - Gameplay Footage and Conquest Mode Details

Murk

Arcane
"offenses"

HRMMMM

Shadenuat

Arcane
Incredibly mediocre writing and art direction. It's like Dungeon Siege 3 again. Or something.

It might turn our as a new low for Obsidian writing ever. I watched whole video carefully and it failed to capture my imagination in any way.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The time limit in Fallout was the best thing ever. It infused a sense of urgency and dread. Also people that were unable to save the vault within that time limit should be catalogued as imbeciles.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Take over this city within eight days or everyone in the entire valley will die.”
Yes, it’s an actual time limit a la Fallout. Once you’ve read this edict, a counter pops up at the top of the screen informing you how many days are left until all life is extinguished.

Oh right, the one thing Fallout creators said they regret putting in the game. Good job, Obsidian!
I object to the manner in which Fallout’s timer was implemented (a secondary unknown timer exists, and is merely hinted at by an optional NPC who offers to extend the first timer and subsequently depletes the second), but I’m not strictly against timers. They add a sense of urgency and change the way the game is played. The Darkspawn invasion gradually blotting out the map of Dragon Age: Origins was one of the coolest features, for about 20 minutes, and then I realized the deadline was an illusion.

Just know this – by denouncing RPG timers entirely, you give up the right to make a webcomic about your character’s chronic procrastination as they put off saving the world to complete their set of meaningless collectables. You wanted the convenience and freedom of doing whatever you want at any given time, so now you must suffer in silence while I profit off the jokes with my own webcomic and obtain riches and rail your sister. Oh yes, you’re going to be one sorry sod just as soon as I learn how to draw.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Didn't they immediately regret shipping the game with the time limit and dedployed a patch to revert it? So maybe at release there was a version with a way more aggressive time limit. Can't really remember.

Tigranes

Arcane
What if I want to farm max level on random radscorp encounters? I played fallout at junior school, I didn't know anything about hacking or programming back then, the only way for me to start the game with max level was to farm random encounters. I didn't expect the game to punish me for that.

The only right answer is that I don't give a shit about people who want to waste 10 hours killing radscorpions over and over again and if some game feature punishes you for playing like a retard I really don't give a shit.

Re: tyranny I have zero hype. The initial POE spinoff + evil won sounded great, but apart from the spellmaking feature nothing they've revealed has sounded particularly good. I really think the snippets of writing reveal that a lot of games have been doing in the KS era, from Tyranny's ridiculous companions to WL3's holy detonation, etc., do any game a favour, either - AOD's the only case where those things helped me raise internal hype levels. I guess I'll wait and see.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
^
Agree as long as it's handled in an abstract fashion that is consistent with every other element of the game. if the only thign that is affected by time is some imbecile game over state then I spit on the moron who designed it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Make a game that looks like it's going to be as casual as it can get, and then add a feature that makes casuals extremely distressed. :M

Didn't they immediately regret shipping the game with the time limit and dedployed a patch to revert it? So maybe at release there was a version with a way more aggressive time limit. Can't really remember.

They removed the second time limit in a patch (The Master's army marching and destroying everything) and they were right to because it isn't telegraphed to you until it's too late. Hidden time limits are bad adventure game nonsense.

Fallout's time limit isn't there to make you rush (1 minute of game time = 1 minute of real time and you have 120 days), it's so you don't spam rest-healing or aimlessly wander on the world map.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
The gameplay footage feels like completely streamlined tutorial level. I would prefer level which would reminiscent to\interesting as Irenicus dungeon level in Shadows of Amn.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This looks like a much more competent product, and I like the setting, no elves in sight, but it really looks like a failed modern attempt at sword and sorcery. The combat is really meh however.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Fallout's time limit was a smoke and mirrors effect to create the illusion of urgency, did anybody ever fail the main quest due to the time limit?
When I finally found the chip, I was just a few days away from failing. And prior to finding it, I made a blind gamble - I could go to the Glow, or to Necropolis, since I hadn't explored either of those two areas. I had 50% chance of missing the deadline.

Hate the time limits. Won't be a problem, though. There's a 99% chance most people will drop this shit after 1 hour.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Anal rape could be good if performed gently. So what? It's a stressful mechanic that brings nothing positive to the game. The only reason they put it here is because Feargus said "No, Fuck You, I want replayability in my games" and they decided to do this fake gating through time pressure. It's sad how marketing still dictates design decisions in 2016. They learned nothing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fallout's time limit was a smoke and mirrors effect to create the illusion of urgency, did anybody ever fail the main quest due to the time limit?
When I finally found the chip, I was just a few days away from failing. And prior to finding it, I made a blind gamble - I could go to the Glow, or to Necropolis, since I hadn't explored either of those two areas. I had 50% chance of missing the deadline.

Hate the time limits. Won't be a problem, though. There's a 99% chance most people will drop this shit after 1 hour.
You are just bad at the game than. I explored all areas and never had the problem. You can also extend that time by sending a water merchant to the Vault.

does it have random encounters? I have seen in the video that the party is stopped from advancing between 2 locations. I would really love that.
minute : 1:11:18

Gondolin

Arcane
Incredibly mediocre writing and art direction. It's like Dungeon Siege 3 again. Or something.

It might turn our as a new low for Obsidian writing ever. I watched whole video carefully and it failed to capture my imagination in any way.

Exactly. This one belongs in the "not even worth pirating" category.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Exactly. This one belongs in the "not even worth pirating" category.
I think this is the worst RPG ever created.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skipping aside the time limit mechanics (which nobody has cleared up yet if it something as easy as "get to here do this and com back in x amount of days" kind of questing or a Fallout water supply scenario) the graphics still look lovely and while so far the art direction is "Mordor looking evil shit" is pretty damn generic as much as an elfless fantasy world gets I can definetly see most of the people who picked Pillars (and liked it) getting this game too
So far it sounds very Obsidian to me; hit and miss but enjoyable enough for what it is .... color me intrigued
Still not $40 worthy but definetly more interested than before

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think it looks more interesting than PoE but I paid 30$ for PoE and no way I am giving more to a shorter game made on same engine and by similar people after PoE didn't live up to my expectations.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you have the words "in a modern presentation" in a trailer you know something is up and it's going to be shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom