Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Twin Elms in general felt hard to escape the feeling that the game ended on a really flat note chugging through not so memorable content outside of the gods when you were chugging through there, and then there was the trash mob gauntlet in the final area.

It seemed like a tale of two quests, the critical path which had some really well done gods stuff, which was wall to wall strong, and some weak af not critical path that felt kinda tacked on and not very special in a lot of cases.

Sacrificial Bloodlines, Hunter, Brother and At the Mercy of the Tribes were interesting sidequests.

3.0 fixed the trash mob problem, I didn't notice any.

Fairfax

Arcane
The only interesting side quest (actually a "task") in Twin Elms was Songs of the Wild. :M
Player shouldn't have been able to get the talent without the guy eating the birds, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only interesting side quest (actually a "task") in Twin Elms was Songs of the Wild. :M
Player shouldn't have been able to get the talent without the guy eating the birds, though.

I found exploring tribe relations and tribe/colonist relations interesting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I played some more and this game sucks

Shouldn't have blown my money

I expected a low energy slam dunk but in the past those could still be pretty enjoyable (IWD)

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
The writing reminds me of a cross between nwn2 and bioware in the worst way and the combat reminds me of my last dental cleaning

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Twin Elms in general felt hard to escape the feeling that the game ended on a really flat note chugging through not so memorable content outside of the gods when you were chugging through there, and then there was the trash mob gauntlet in the final area.

It seemed like a tale of two quests, the critical path which had some really well done gods stuff, which was wall to wall strong, and some weak af not critical path that felt kinda tacked on and not very special in a lot of cases.

Sacrificial Bloodlines, Hunter, Brother and At the Mercy of the Tribes were interesting sidequests.

3.0 fixed the trash mob problem, I didn't notice any.

Maybe they should make the 1.0 version of their game good instead of releasing it too early and saying 'Fuck you, loser, we'll take your money and ruin your game experience as thanks for being a day one fan.'.
'cuz now, I will wait for the 3.5 special director's cut and then pick up the game for €10 instead of paying them 4-5 times that amount out of loyalty to a studio that deserves my support for producing great games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe they should make the 1.0 version of their game good instead of releasing it too early and saying 'Fuck you, loser, we'll take your money and ruin your game experience as thanks for being a day one fan.'.
'cuz now, I will wait for the 3.5 special director's cut and then pick up the game for €10 instead of paying them 4-5 times that amount out of loyalty to a studio that deserves my support for producing great games.

They only had a budget for 29 months and no one has been able to make a good fully-featured RPG in that amount of time.

However, to Obsidian's credit, their enhanced edition is a lot better than inXile's and Larian's.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They only had a budget for 29 months and no one has been able to make a good fully-featured RPG in that amount of time.

However, to Obsidian's credit, their enhanced edition is a lot better than inXile's and Larian's.
that is actually true tho. i played white march, and noticed the improvements. like engagement isn't as exploitable and the enemy NPC are alot smarter. i should probably replay the game some time to enjoy PoE in its full glory.

Prime Junta

3.0 is usually the number of patch released after majority of players is done with the game

I'm pretty sure they're anticipating a surge in interest when the Pillars 2 hype starts. It's one of these "long tail" games.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Basic premise is good. But execution is weak; e.g. the playing of the two factions against each other is done in such a stereotyped and boring way.

Just wait 'till you realize that the two factions are literally evil and good.

One provides happily ever after slides, the other wants to eat your "friends".

Obsidian probably intended something incredible nuanced such as chaotic evil and lawful evil, but even that seems to be beyond their capabilities those days.

I just started but i am already facepalming. I went through CYOA introduction thinking that Disfavoured were supposed to be lawful evil, so i leaned more to the Scarlet Chorus side. Needless to say, i felt pretty dumb when the actual game started. :lol:

Btw, forced, poorly presented C&C is quickly becoming one of my most hated features in modern RPG's. I am fucking sick of making choices without sufficient background information. I don't know who all these fucking people are, how the fuck am i supposed to choose? Is it ok to break laws of Kyros in this particular case? I would have an opinion on that if i had any idea what those fucking laws are!.:x

Sannom

Augur
Yo, where is that review? It appeared on my feed with the more click-and-imbecile-baity title possible but the link doesn't go anywhere!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
For the record: the "more click-and-imbecile-baity title possible" was a direct quote from the review.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The basic question is whether a writer should compare Tyranny to AoD if he hasn't played AoD. Infinitron says yes, but he hasn't played AoD either. Three posters who have played AoD say that he's wrong; he asks us to "find something more productive to do." No rebellion, just the kind of stuff that's doomed to happen in any Obsidian review thread.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Comparing Tranny to AoD in the review is just gonna make the entire thread be about that statement, I guess if that's what they want.

Prime Junta's original version didn't mention AoD at all, which I think is the right thing to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom