Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

I may be biased but almost everything I'm reading about it seems to suggest it's a rather dull game that reviewers desperately want to like.

Hyperion

Arcane
Eh, by the time I finish The Old Hunters, Ashes of Ariandel, and Dungeon Rats there should be some sort of discount.

Waiting for a few patches can never be a bad thing.

NullFlow

Savant
I half want to buy it because there's not much to play and half realize it looks like a PoE mod that costs $50 for some reason. Might just flip a coin on this one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Or you can play it free if you are not sure and buy it later on discount if you like it. "Special" shops already have a free version :)

deama

Prophet
How the hell do you dismiss companions? I tried talking to them, but there's no option for that.

Made a mistake of reading comments under trailer on YT. Just look at this!:

2cwq2rq.jpg

tumblr_njq52osuic1u7591ko3_r1_250.gif

Shilandra

Learned
After playing for a couple of hours its been pretty engaging so far.

Though, I find it supremely awkward that during dialogue characters use their actual 3d models to represent themselves talking instead of a portrait. Not sure whose decision it was to let that through.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Though, I find it supremely awkward that during dialogue characters use their actual 3d models to represent themselves talking instead of a portrait. Not sure whose decision it was to let that through.

That seems to be the cool thing to do nowadays. D:OS 2 implemented it shortly before its EA launch.

I guess it's meant to take conversations one step closer towards a cinematic experience.

Shilandra

Learned

That seems to be the cool thing to do nowadays. D:OS 2 implemented it shortly before its EA launch.

I guess it's meant to take conversations one step closer towards a cinematic experience.

Are the ones in D:OS 2 at least static or HD?

I wouldn't mind the ones in tyranny all that much if they just stood still. They're not to bad until they decide to... dramatically point at something.

Fargus

Arcane

Gotta try that with VR goggles.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Are the ones in D:OS 2 at least static or HD?

I wouldn't mind the ones in tyranny all that much if they just stood still. They're not to bad until they decide to... dramatically point at something.

D:OS 2 only uses static shots of the model's face, not the whole body. Having the models sway and animate during conversation seems like a very strange design choice.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I only noticed that body types are deliberately ugly - fat man, dwarf, basketball player wich in Russian called sleeper, and overall they look disgusting.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Another reviewer weighs in on NeoGAF:
1. Enemies - there are only 3 types of enemies: humans, ghosts and inteligent humanoid beasts. Thats it. In Fantasy RPG... You will fight with archer/mage/warrior combo like 40 or 50 Times and it become really boring rly fast.

5. Dungeons - booring. Very simillar with medicore puzzles and you fight same ghosts over and over again. Did i mentioned there are only 3 types of enemies?
FFS, what's wrong with these people? Daedalic rewrote the encounter design book with their FIRST RPG, but Obsidian & its so-called team of P&P fans / experts still haven't made a single game with good encounter design IN 13 YEARS.

Seriously, NWN2 had D&D's entire bestiary and they delivered masterpieces such as "You enter a small house. It actually has 3 floors and dozens of rooms, each with 20 Githyanki soldiers. LOL!" Basically every single fan-made module had better encounters than what the "pros" had done... and the only thing that changed since is that now we don't have modding tools anymore for fans to show Obsidian how it's done.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So any first impressions? :)

Character creation was nice, though simpler than pillars. I like the setting too. Combat feels much shittier than pillars, all the skills and spells look soulless and autistic as fuck. drain 3 strength or color elemental missile bullshit and i don't see it improving. I want to cuss them off really badly and I would if I had paid for this. :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only noticed that body types are deliberately ugly - fat man, dwarf, basketball player wich in russiab called sleeper, and overll they look disgusting.

the portraits are shit too, Kyros the Overlord must have made Picasso the plastic surgeon general of his empire or something

TBH I think a lot of the reason for the 'not really sure' reviews and lack of hype is that people are learning not to buy this genre of game at launch. They look at PoE, which has, since launch, completely revised its gameplay and gameworld. The changes to mechanics aren't just tweaking - they're fundamental shifts in class design and build, so much so that entire attributes have been reworked to the extent that they affect entirely different things than before. It's less along the lines of 'tweak the to hit bonus from dex', and more like 'dex now affects interupt chance and attack speed, instead of to hit bonus' - ok that's not the actual change, but it's changes of those nature right the way though.

People quite reasonably expect now that there will be new game areas, quests and massive alterations to mechanics in the next 6 months after launch, so why would they buy it now? I'll probably get this eventually, but I've got my Deus Ex:HR to finish (putting it on hold until Nvidia multi-GPU is implemented) and then a playthrough of Dishonoured 1's DLC campaign. After that I'll probably get Dishonoured 2, because that genre is usually mostly complete at launch, such that it will be a fully finished game by the time I buy it. Then I'll redo PoE, as that's finally a finished product, and by that time Tyranny and Torment should be fleshed out, finished products as they'll have been out for 8-12 months.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Indeed... I played W2, D:OS and PoE at launch, and they were all entirely redone in the following months. So why get Tides of Numanuma or Tyranny now?

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Indeed... I played W2, D:OS and PoE at launch, and they were all entirely redone in the following months. So why get Tides of Numanuma or Tyranny now?
yes, often it almosts feels like that "early access" bullshit, just with a release cameo.

i am fine with small tweaks and balance patches ect (also free content) but once they change some serious stuff, i am like totally out most of the time because i lack the patience and motivation to start all over on the one hand and cant enjoy a heavily changed game neither.

combat system i got used to in general, but if it really is that shallow/ crappy, thats a no-go for me.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
10 hours in, some first impressions:
Pros
+your background choices do seem to have notable consequences (opens dialogue choices here and there), a pleasant surprise
+writing isn't as bad as I thought in advance
+has some clear branching for replay value
Cons
-battle system feels worse overall than PoE; party members use spells automatically on a retarded way (wasting taunt on an enemy that already been engaged etc.) and doesn't seem like I can turn that off
-companions feel less flexible in the way you can build them and suffer from the garbage stat distributions like most of PoE companions did
-skill checks are poorly designed in terms of replay value, events and dialogue only have subterfuge, lore and athletics checks which can all be cleared by one character, less replay value

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom