Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Doktor Best

Arcane
Any legit places where i can get this game cheap?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Provide us some examples?

I don't mean better in the "combat is significantly more demanding sense" (the difficulty feels roughly the same on hard with the caveat that early game PoE is more forgiving by design with regard to the potential of a random fight killing one of your low-hp guise through a series of unlucky rolls; naturally a lot of grognards are very upset by this absence) but better as in there are more of them. There were long stretches of time in BG (chapters 1 and 2) and IWD (all over the place; see the article I wrote) that were a select all snoozefest. Pillars has a better ratio of practice mobs:total-party-kill-potential throughout the entire campaign (as long as one either ignores most sidequests or the megadungeon/bounties).

It is notable that Pillars shipped with call for help scripts to prevent fog of war abuse (though you can do it sometimes, which is fine because it honestly is a fun thing to do, just not when it works nearly all the time), whereas BG had none and they had to be patched in Icewind Dale through Heart of Winter.

3 types of enemies?

Why do they spend so much time trying to redesign dungeons and dragons instead of just making dungeons and dragons modules for like the last 20 fucking years? Instead they spend years making some edgy shitty world with 'balanced' boring rule-set that nobody likes is is far, far inferior in every way to D20 system. Then nobody really likes it or cares and they decide to redo it all over again and spend years and years making some new boring shit that is also inferior to D20.

How much could they have made just making fucking D&D modules using ugraded infinity engine over last 15 years instead of all this other stupid shit they have done? They could have done it with way less people, and probably made much more profit. I don't get it.

Starwars

Arcane
After 7 hours of play.

Pros:
-The conquest part of character creation is really nicely done. Great way to customize the world a bit and engaging in its own right.
-Writing is, for the most part, pretty damn good. It is a bit "edgy evil" in some places but for the most part it's found a really nice tone I think.
-Not sure yet how big consequences are as of yet but there is a lot of nice reactivity so far at least.
-Conversations in general are a lot of fun in the game.
-It's a bit easier to get a sense of what's going on in combat.
-Feels very polished so far.
-It's really nice to play a character in a position of power. While people will still talk back, there are plenty of collars to grab, plenty of opportunities to be a nuisance to people.

Cons:
-The voiceacting is shit for the most part. There is zero feeling of the voices actually belonging the game world.
-I find the UI pretty hard to read, just the style of it. Liked PoE's much better.
-Cooldowns galore. Combo moves can be surprisingly fun to use though
-Character development alltogether is not fun at all. Feels very "streamlined" and Dragon Age-y after PoE. It's boring to level up and that's never a good sign. Loot is boring. Most everything to do that is somehow related to the combat is boring and "soulless".
-While I like the two main factions, the game uses them as a mouthpiece for everything roleplaying and it feels kinda forced at times that they are so obviously at odds in completely everything. YOU MUST CHOOSE WHICH TO SUPPORT obviously. They feel like bickering idiots at times, especially the leaders. I guess that may be intentional up to a point, but yeah...

Other stuff:
-Companions feel pretty tame. The ones I've found so far aren't bad but they don't really make much of an impression either.

I'm eager to see more, especially in terms of the world, its characters and the choices. But the combat is boring and character development just feels like... a thing. Definitely won't beat PoE for me but the storyfag in me is enjoying it a fair bit still.

So any first impressions? :)

Character creation was nice, though simpler than pillars. I like the setting too. Combat feels much shittier than pillars, all the skills and spells look soulless and autistic as fuck. drain 3 strength or color elemental missile bullshit and i don't see it improving. I want to cuss them off really badly and I would if I had paid for this. :smug:
WORSE combat than PoE? I could not play PoE for more than a couple hours because of the combat. I guess I can safely ignore this shit even if it gets a 90% discount, I am not really surprised. I hate that obsidian went down the PoE path, the entire thing needs to be scraped except for the graphics, the rules set is fucking awful. But I don't see them giving up on it as long as Josh is there and they have so much invested in it....

whats the deal on any pathfinder rule games being developed? Are they still being worked on by somebody somewhere? Besides the card game I hope?

Suicidal

Arcane
So from what I gathered from this thread: shit combat and AIDS encounter design coupled with an unusual storyline premise, above average writing and decent C&C? Sounds like an Obsidian game alright.

Seems interesting, the question is: buy it now or wait for the upcoming Christmas sale :philosoraptor:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So from what I gathered from this thread: shit combat and AIDS encounter design coupled with an unusual storyline premise, above average writing and decent C&C? Sounds like an Obsidian game alright.

Seems interesting, the question is: buy it now or wait for the upcoming Christmas sale :philosoraptor:

Nah. The writing is bad and the C&C is fake. It's pure cash grab. People never learn.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are the system requirements higher as for PoE though? Anyone running this below minimum requirements? How is the performance?

I just saw this, I thought if PoE ran, Tyranny would run too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are the system requirements higher as for PoE though? Anyone running this below minimum requirements? How is the performance?

I'm sure that's the case and the system requirements are just some half-made up approximation.

Deleted member 7219

I'm sure that's the case and the system requirements are just some half-made up approximation.

Game runs as good/bad as PoE depending on your set up. PoE has been CPU intensive since the AI patch, and my PC has a shit CPU so both PoE and Tyranny run between 30 and 45 FPS.

In Tyranny it is not as noticeable because the animations are smoother. Characters aren't juddering everywhere like they did (at least for me) in PoE. I wouldn't have known it was running sub-60 FPS if it wasn't for the Steam framerate counter.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll have to cave in as well, I'm in a Judge Dredd kinda mood. Since this has allegedly such a short play time I figure I can just fit it in for a weekend or two.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Game runs as good/bad as PoE depending on your set up. PoE has been CPU intensive since the AI patch, and my PC has a shit CPU so both PoE and Tyranny run between 30 and 45 FPS.

In Tyranny it is not as noticeable because the animations are smoother. Characters aren't juddering everywhere like they did (at least for me) in PoE. I wouldn't have known it was running sub-60 FPS if it wasn't for the Steam framerate counter.

I have a 6 year old 3930K and never had an issue. Are you running the game on a potato?

Deleted member 7219

I have a 6 year old 3930K and never had an issue. Are you running the game on a potato?

Core 2 Quad 9650.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
From what I have seen from streams, interface looks like mess, description of spells have different colored text, numbers AND actual description, feels overloaded(?) with details.
Art is ugly as hell, and it is intended obviously, because I never believe that all artists in western game industry suddenly unlearned how to draw pictures lol.
Roleplaying system looks muddy(?), unclear, and uninteresting in general.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've played a little and it's bland as fuck. Settlements are small and empty, there is practically no interactivity and the fights are tedious (switching from Dungeon Rats turn based, tactical combat to this shitty system is mind blowing). Maybe it gets better and I'll try to play a bit more but I'm forcing myself to play right now. Can't imagine that PoE could be more boring.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I don't mind a slam dunk if it's enjoyable. Once my election excitement dies down I'm going to try it out. Paradox has really fucked up the marketing though

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
How about you gather some dicks to suck. Games is good fun.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played it for a bit and am having good fun. In fact, I'm quite surprised in how much I like it. Interesting setting and a story that so far seems to be filled to the brim with choices that actually matter. I like how the evil is not of the twirling moustaches but more of the Eichmann variant. The banality of evil in full view so to speak. Also got quite a Black Company vibe at times with the feuding archons. The combat is decent enough and so far has been a lot more entertaining to me than the PoE version of it. It just seems a bit more fluid. I'm really digging the artstyle and the atmosphere of the locations so far. Animations are also top notch. Voice acting however? I dislike it. So far however that is my only niggle. If you enjoy a story heavy game with an interesting setting and a story that's quite a bit different from the average crpg than this might be for you. Hope it holds up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom