Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It starts to crumble mid-Act II though, as mage-type companions suddenly begin their wall-of-text spiel, and then you arrive to a town where you're supposed to read through its full history... For fuck's sake!
This is what I fel from the very beginnig.
I don't understand why you said "and since the main conflict revolves around the two factions, I do give a shit.", because no matter who they are or part of what they are, I don't give a shit about them or anything else, untill that aforementioned someone ineterest me.
First they should ineterest me, and later I will want to know what's it is all about.
Tried to watch stream a few times and literally have found myself constantly trying to stay awake in process. :?

Also, nobody tells about it because all is clear about it and it is kind of bad manners, but the amount of "stronk wymen" and Negro faces per square centimeter goes off scale completely, like we have 2 sub-man in a team, one of them is shitting into his iron pants and a faceless person, another one is a grandpa with gray beard lol.
Ultimately disgusting.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
-11 hours in now and somewhere in Act II. Starting to like the companions a bit more though none of them really stand out that much. They do grow on me. Lantry is pretty cool especially.

-The combat is still crappy, as is the whole skill system/character development. It's so unfun and straight up boring. It's very Dragon Age-y. One the plus-side, you're not getting buried underneath combat encounters in this like what happened in some areas in PoE. And the spellcrafting, while not amazing, is a nice idea to customize your spellslinging a bit to your liking.

-Playing on Hard and the game is, so far, even easier than PoE was on Hard.

Definitely enjoying the story, choices and all that jazz a lot. The world is interesting.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played a bit of this, I'm at the Disfavored camp, so far there are alot of stat checks, most of them however being flavour, let's push this rock here, let's grab this rope to reach this place with loot, usually athletics with some rare occasions of lore and subterfuge checks, on the tutorial area, there were alot of small decisions you could make, dunno if any of them have consequence yet. The gameplay at the beginning involve mostly chosing between the three factions with each action building reputation or wrath with them, so far you aren't asked to join them and can do the content of both the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus but sometimes they have conflicting interests and you have to make a choice, I'm favoring the Disfavored to see what happens.

The factions are kinda abstract archetypes though, they aren't like something like the Tribunal Temple on Morrowind, I dunno if it is because you can't join them so you don't have to follow their rules, the Disfavored are the order murder guys while the Scarlet Chorus are the chaos murder guys, not seeing much depth on both of them, could be that I'm still at the beginning but so far what you read at the updates is all you get of exposition on them.

The companions, Verse and Barik so far, they aren't terribly written but they aren't good too, kinda of bland so far. Verse doesn't seem to have a goal or a belief, she is just a regular member of the chaos murder guys with some animu ability (pretty much everyone has an animu ability on this game), same for Barik, typical dumb order murder guy, those are the first impressions of them, they could turn out interesting later but so far they are very meh.

Personally, I liked the opening of PoE better, you were a common guy going on an ominous caravan and is attacked by strange barbarians and have to go on strange ruins then go on a strange village, maybe it is my personal preference for mystery but the begining on Tyranny is very, very straightfoward, they leave you very little room for the imagination. I find kinda funny how on Conquest mode you single handly can murder the whole noblemen of a city, command armies while burning down ancient libraries with an edict of fire and carry an Edict with the power to kill whole armies but when the game starts for reals, you are a level 01 scrub. I assumed Kyros could at least hire some bodyguards for someone carrying something so important.

Speaking of the conquest mode, I dunno if any of the decisions you have on it have consequences yet, so far the only thing you get is some NPCs commenting on your actions, on the conquest mode you can favor the Disfavored or the Scarlet Chorus on decisions but I hope it isn't just a let's click on the Disfavored options to get brownie points with them or click on the Scarlet Chorus options to get points with them as I fear it is. Sure, if it is just that it isn't the end of the world as it is just a version of the gypsy lady asking you stuff to determine who your character is but I hope for more substantial consequences. Let's see how thing turn out.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Another thing, the start is quite tame in terms of evil but I give kudos to Obsidian, nothing more evil than the bureaucratic evil of trade permits, if things keep this way I find admiration for Kyros in comparison with tyrants like Obama.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They should have simply used PoE systems. Game would be immediately better and more playable.
The health/wound system is better than PoE. 4 party members is better than PoE. Better consumables is better, the rest very similar. Spell crafting is kind of cool, but I am only at start of Act 1 and don't know how good it can be.
FF and cooldowns are not better. Overall I am so far enjoying this more. It is still not even close to IE games, but so was not PoE

Imperialist

Novice
This is a heavy dialog game so I really wished companion's had dialog that pushed the story as the story is progressing, as in while we're traveling why not have them inject what they are thinki9ng so we get a feeling of who they are instead of typical responses (1) where are you from, (2) how did you end up in ____land, (3) do you miss _____, and (4) etc...

alphyna

Ice-Pick Lodge
Developer
I don't understand why you said "and since the main conflict revolves around the two factions, I do give a shit.", because no matter who they are or part of what they are, I don't give a shit about them or anything else, untill that aforementioned someone ineterest me.
Well, the two factions are a huge part of the "Conquest" character creation segment. You're forced to choose between them several times, and it gave me a good incentive to learn of who they actually are and what they stand for. Next (mild spoiler), we first see the two faction leaders actually arguing each other, which is good contrast. So I'd say this particular part was done well.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well yes, Conquest, but why should it interest me in the first place?
I remember plot in Baldur's Gate - there is a mistery, something going on etc, P:T - same, and game's world is a mistery too. Or let's take Evil Islands (not widely known but still one of my favorite) - there is a mistery, something to explore.
What to explore here? Some kind of SIMS Social more likely - no epic, no mistery, no place for imagination, just chit-chat.

Actually, the most interesting part about this game is what political and cultural statement authors wants to bring?
I don't understand what's the point of those two gangs, who kill and rape and other usual everyday stuff?
They should mean something, right?

Sentinel

Arcane
Well yes, Conquest, but why should it interest me in the first place?
I remember plot in Baldur's Gate - there is a mistery, something going on etc, P:T - same, and game's world is a mistery too. Or let's take Evil Islands (not widely known but still one of my favorite) - there is a mistery, something to explore.
What to explore here? Some kind of SIMS Social more likely - no epic, no mistery, no place for imagination, just chit-chat.
The mystery in Tyranny is Kyros and the Archons.
If you're not interested in the premise of the game in the first place, of course you're not gonna be interested in the world or the game itself. Like Matt McLean said "You can't force the player to play your game. You have to assume that if a player boots up your game, he's kind of interested in it."

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The mystery in Tyranny is Kyros and the Archons.
It same as if we say that "The mistery is if Killary rally drink the blood of infants and who are members of Bilderberg Club.
And thus you can make fantasy game on that premise, right?
Why the fuck it should ineterest me?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They should have simply used PoE systems. Game would be immediately better and more playable.
The health/wound system is better than PoE. 4 party members is better than PoE. Better consumables is better, the rest very similar. Spell crafting is kind of cool, but I am only at start of Act 1 and don't know how good it can be.
FF and cooldowns are not better. Overall I am so far enjoying this more. It is still not even close to IE games, but so was not PoE
The wound system is not better. It's more random and affects squishy characters much more.

4 characters better than 6, you crazy? It restricts your choices and results in smaller companion roster. They reduced the party size but increased the amount of micro required with every character having a shitload of abilities so it's even more work.

Consumables are stronger because they are dumbed down to be instant with no recovery (even overlapping skill) and drugs having no drawbacks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
But still every build is viable and shit thanks to the game being easy making character choices largely meaningless on lower difficulties
FTFY

And no trap choices, maybe aside from becoming purely vigor mage at start.
Hybrid caster is the trap choice in tranny. Btw pure vigor mage start is less bad then picking any two schools since you'll start with a talent and can loot/buy more core sigils right at the beginning. Best chargen choice for mage is probably double lightning.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
But still every build is viable and shit thanks to the game being easy making character choices largely meaningless on lower difficulties
FTFY

And no trap choices, maybe aside from becoming purely vigor mage at start.
Hybrid caster is the trap choice in tranny. Btw pure vigor mage start is less bad then picking any two sigils since you'll start with a talent and an loot/buy more core sigils right at the beginning.

If talents themselves wouldn't be so meaningless it would mean something. As it stands now - beginning of act 2 or half of the game you already have all the talents you need. And mages are the usual awesome button, so gimping them out of a talent or two isn't that bad.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
^ It's still more than nothing. The sooner you can get to where the good stuff is in mage tree the sooner you can invest in leadership or another.

jungl

Augur
if you build your party spells and min max around the beast women the games easy, she op.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The wound system is not better. It's more random and affects squishy characters much more.

4 characters better than 6, you crazy? It restricts your choices and results in smaller companion roster. They reduced the party size but increased the amount of micro required with every character having a shitload of abilities so it's even more work.

Consumables are stronger because they are dumbed down to be instant with no recovery (even overlapping skill) and drugs having no drawbacks.
Wound system is way better. They managed to do is same like PoE but without 2 retarded health stats. I would still prefer a game with IE or NWN where you only got one health stat that does not regenerate and you die at 0 or -10 but current game is not balanced for that.

4 characters makes the clusterfuck of this terrible combat easier to manage and read. And as the whole it makes it more fun. I don't want AI to control my characters, and going around and casting all the stuff for 6 characters would be much worse than doing that for 4.
Since this is not superior IE game system when I only needed to micro manage casters and thieves that could stealth.

Consumables are stronger becase.. who the fuck cares!! They being stronger is what makes them more useful and it makes them superior than PoE. Fuck PoE, in IE games potions and scrolls mattered. Tyranny is also not like that but at least it is not +1 might for 30s shit from PoE.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
4 characters makes the clusterfuck of this terrible combat easier to manage and read. And as the whole it makes it more fun. I don't want AI to control my characters, and going around and casting all the stuff for 6 characters would be much worse than doing that for 4.
4 characters in tranny is harder to read and manage than 6 characters on PoE, that's my point.

Wound system is way better. They managed to do is same like PoE but without 2 retarded health stats. I would still prefer a game with IE or NWN where you only got one health stat that does not regenerate and you die at 0 or -10 but current game is not balanced for that.
it's not the same. In PoE Tanks have higher health but get hit all the time so it gets down at a constant rate, while squishies have low health so when they get spanked their health goes down fast. In Tranny your tanks get wounds basically never and you squishies need to rest everytime they get downed in a fight.

Also tranny has the same +1 stat consumables as PoE, even same icons. And potions are useful in PoE, you just use more often in tranny because there's no tactical consideration, as soon as you're down the % the potion heals you pop it instantly to avoid getting wounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom