Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review Uberlong Knights of the Old Republic review

kumquatq3

Liturgist
The game was set way in the past for a reason. So they could certain liberties. Like swords that defelct sabers.

(for a better explantion see the post of mine a little higher up)

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
kumquatq3 said:
The game was set way in the past for a reason. So they could certain liberties. Like swords that defelct sabers.

(for a better explantion see the post of mine a little higher up)

Well, as the resident Star Wars geek, I can tell you that it doesn't hold up. I've read the novel (I, Jedi) where the cortosis ore was first introduced (some dark Jedi had made bracers out of them, which stopped their opponent from doing the classic move of slicing their hands off) and from the description of the metal in that and other novels there is no way that it was commonly found (unless all sources was depleted around 3000-4000 years ago, of course...) and that it certainly wasn't useful in weapons. They also omitted one extra quality that it had, namely that it created some sort of energy surge that shut the lightsaber down temporarily (apparently, lightsabers are surge protected, so no permanent damage).

Psilon

Erudite
Agreed. According to Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, cortosis ore is extremely flaky material; one grenade and it crumbles. As a result, one good whack from a melee weapon is likely to create a big weak spot in your defenses.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Psilon said:
Agreed. According to Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, cortosis ore is extremely flaky material; one grenade and it crumbles. As a result, one good whack from a melee weapon is likely to create a big weak spot in your defenses.

Ah, a fellow freak.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Didn't they say it was a "special weeve" in the game? I'm pretty sure they did. Maybe its that special stuff mixed with regualr metal. It maintains its strength and can stop a saber, but there isn't enough of the special stuff to shut down a saber?

Just an idea

symposium

Novice
Misuse(not-use) of SW d20

I'll start with the disclaimer that I haven't played the game because the :evil: producers wont release the game in Australia until a few days from now.

When I first saw the pen & paper adaptation, I was reasonably impressed by the adaptation of the star wars universe to the d20 system. I am disappointed that some of the cooler parts seem to have been dropped from KoTOR.

The addition of two separate "hitpoint"-like stats made lightsaber combat a little bit more believable - you have health points (your constitution score) and vigor points (how heroic you are - increases with level like hit points). The slicing of limbs was restricted to critical hits, or when you lost all of your vigor. (Losing limbs was actually an optional rule :cool:

The other thing I noticed in the review was that guardians gained less power than consuls. This is completely the opposite to the d20 system version. Not that I disagree with this per se, but since vigor was used to power force powers, guardians typically have more of this to spend in SWd20. Using force powers should make you more tired and less able to handle combat. Of course the consul will be more effective at this with higher skills.

Blasters are also more powerful in the SWd20 system than you have made out. A vibro-sword does 2d6 and lightsaber 2d8 (at the beginning), so even with a strength bonus to damage, a heavy blaster with 3d8 is pretty scary. Imagine taking a critical hit from a blaster carbine - with an average damage of 13-14 you would need to have a very high constitution to survive even half of those hits without going down.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
kumquatq3 said:
Didn't they say it was a "special weeve" in the game? I'm pretty sure they did. Maybe its that special stuff mixed with regualr metal. It maintains its strength and can stop a saber, but there isn't enough of the special stuff to shut down a saber?

Just an idea

Yeah they did, but it's still bollocks. :cool:

Psilon

Erudite
Azael said:
Ah, a fellow freak.
Ex-freak. Never got into the New Jedi Order stuff.

And since the whole way cortosis blocks lightsabers is by causing the feedback loop, it's definitely bollocks.

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
No, I udnerstand why melee weapons, and/or cheap guns are very common in FO. that makese sense; but sorry when a hammer hit someone in they go flying across the screen, I look at the screen liek this: :?

That's okay, we know you're special. As for doubting that a hit from a sledge could knock someone back far, I've seen a horse kick a full grown man of about 150 lbs 20' clear of the ground, with one leg. A strong person, especially if they have something like a super-sledge, could easily do the same with a good upstroke.

True, the sliding doesn't seem too "realistic", but there's really no real easy way to do "dead weight in the air" animations and make them look precisely right. Of course, being hit by a mundane sledgehammer in the chest with a good swing arc pretty much means the person no longer has any of their chest intact.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kumquatq3 said:
But this game is set FAR back in time in the SW universe. It is supposed to be more primative (hence swords).
Does it look more primitive to you? You are flying a Millenium Falcon's twin, for god's sake. Btw, what's up with that?

My knowledge of all of it is limited, so who are you to say what goes against canon of the period. You may be right in the end, but I don't think your equiped currently to make that judgement.
I didn't see much difference between kotor's SW and the movies' SW, hence the logic that worked in the movies (i.e. nothing can stand against a lightsaber) should work in the kotor universe.

Rosh

Erudite
I just noticed this.

My knowledge of all of it is limited, so who are you to say what goes against canon of the period. You may be right in the end, but I don't think your equiped currently to make that judgement.

Most. Retarded. "Logic". Ever.

"I really don't have all the facts, so I don't think you should be posting all these horrible, mean facts that make me look ignorant! You suck!"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: Misuse(not-use) of SW d20

kumquatq3 said:
Yes, it has. But this game is set FAR back in time in the SW universe. It is supposed to be more primative (hence swords). So can you say via your knowledge that it goes against canon of the period?

So, in the more primative era, they had metal that could block lightsabers because of this special weaving they do? Special weaving, BTW, which all melee weapons across the galaxy, even those made by Tuskan Raiders and Wookiees, but no one has made full suits of armor out of this in order to stop Jedi from attacking them, since it would block those same lightsabers? Not in 4,000 years?

symposium said:
Blasters are also more powerful in the SWd20 system than you have made out. A vibro-sword does 2d6 and lightsaber 2d8 (at the beginning), so even with a strength bonus to damage, a heavy blaster with 3d8 is pretty scary. Imagine taking a critical hit from a blaster carbine - with an average damage of 13-14 you would need to have a very high constitution to survive even half of those hits without going down.

Heavy Blasters in KotOR do 3-10 damage, lightsabers are 2-16 though.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Yeah they did, but it's still bollocks.

prolly, but again, does anyone have a better idea that works? Or once you get a lightaber should the game be over. You can just cut through walls to get where you want and walk through anything but Jedi and standing armies, great idea. Also, you could have refered to the idea of material that can block sabers as crap when it came out in the books, but I am guessing you excepted it. This is a universe where you can have a lightsaber for god sakes. Having a material that is very resistant to energy and heat (since it exists in real life as super ceramics) mixed with metal somehow isn't beyond the realm of imagination (and possibly not science). Nor is it beyond canon. Tell me where it contradicts anything in the way it is presented in the game. Does a special weeve really contradict all that is holy in the SW universe?

Does it look more primitive to you?

They are using swords :wink:. BTW, are you suggesting that it isn't less technologically advanced? Looks or no? It was thousands of years before the movie, I'm betting that the Ebon Hawk isn't nearly as fast as the Falcon.

I didn't see much difference between kotor's SW and the movies' SW, hence the logic that worked in the movies (i.e. nothing can stand against a lightsaber) should work in the kotor universe.

I just don't understand that logic. Besides the droids are different and clearly look more primative. The ships being different was another big give away. The sandcrawlers where in perfect shape (the jawas didn't have them yet). I could go on and on. Did you want humans to have a third arm or something? Again, the books and comics are canon too. Sorry if you don't know about them, or don't like them, but they are. So your logic doesn't work. That being said, if books or movies can make new canon, why can't games? I see no real problem with the lightsaber blocking material crossed with metal to make a weapon. As it has already been accounted for, and if it wasn't, it doesn't go badly against science (far less than the lightsaber itself) and it doesn't go against the SW universe. Its a small point to except. It doesn't mean that Vader wasn't Lukes father or anything.

Most. Retarded. "Logic". Ever.

"I really don't have all the facts, so I don't think you should be posting all these horrible, mean facts that make me look ignorant! You suck!"

WOW! Thats sooooo obviously what I meant. Your so smart :roll:

The statement was that in Saints review he clearly did not know about the period of time around KOTOR and the link between some things that happened in the game to other things in the SW universe. I had a knowledge of such things, but not to a degree many others have. So if I, with some knowledge, can't make a fool proof claim to what is or isn't canon for the period....how can he?

So, in the more primative era, they had metal that could block lightsabers because of this special weaving they do?

Unless you want to argue against canon. O I forgot, you know all about SW canon. Come one man. You KNOW your not the one to be making these claims. I mean I have read a few SW books a while back, played the card game even longer ago, played a bunch of other SW games, and yet I know I shouldn't be the one to make the call about this. How could you be? Hell, Via teh card game I could tell you SOOOO much info about SW that it would make your head spin. You already assumed wrong about the Starforge and its mysterious creators in the review. I'm not saying you attack that part of the game on purpose, but you wern't in a position to make a educated statement about canon in the SW universe thousands of years before the movie. There is to much you don't know. Regardless if your right or wrong, its a guess or something you just assume.

Special weaving, BTW, which all melee weapons across the galaxy, even those made by Tuskan Raiders and Wookiees, but no one has made full suits of armor out of this in order to stop Jedi from attacking them, since it would block those same lightsabers? Not in 4,000 years?

Just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just like lightsaber block material in the time of Vader.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
kumquatq3 said:
prolly, but again, does anyone have a better idea that works? Or once you get a lightaber should the game be over. You can just cut through walls to get where you want and walk through anything but Jedi and standing armies, great idea.

Why would the game have to be over? Luke was a Jedi at the middle of Empire Strikes Back, yet was the movie over at that point because he was unstoppable? Eh? Episodes 1 and 2 were all about Jedi, with lightsabers no less.. Were they unstoppable? It wasn't just other Jedi that gave them problems either, like the scene with Bando Fett in Episode 2 where he gave Obiwan a run for his money.

Also, you could have refered to the idea of material that can block sabers as crap when it came out in the books, but I am guessing you excepted it. This is a universe where you can have a lightsaber for god sakes. Having a material that is very resistant to energy and heat (since it exists in real life as super ceramics) mixed with metal somehow isn't beyond the realm of imagination (and possibly not science). Nor is it beyond canon. Tell me where it contradicts anything in the way it is presented in the game. Does a special weeve really contradict all that is holy in the SW universe?

If you had materials that were so common that every single melee weapon in the universe could be made from it, even those created by the most primative intelligent species, then those lightsabers would be useless because if that process were that simple and common, you could make armor out of it, doors out of it, containers out of it, and so forth.

They are using swords :wink:. BTW, are you suggesting that it isn't less technologically advanced? Looks or no? It was thousands of years before the movie, I'm betting that the Ebon Hawk isn't nearly as fast as the Falcon.

Actually, the fact they have swords that can block lightsabers suggests to me they were more advanced at that time, because at the era around the Empire, the only metal that can block lightsabers wouldn't make very good melee weapons and it was extremely rare.

I just don't understand that logic. Besides the droids are different and clearly look more primative.

Do they? They look about the same as the droids in Star Wars to me. They even function the same and sound the same.

The ships being different was another big give away.

The Sith cruisers looked a lot like Star Destroyers, even on the inside.

The sandcrawlers where in perfect shape (the jawas didn't have them yet).

The one in the Dune Sea looked like crap to me, what with all the Tuskan Raider attacks on it and the billowing smoke.

The statement was that in Saints review he clearly did not know about the period of time around KOTOR and the link between some things that happened in the game to other things in the SW universe.

I didn't know that it was set 4,000 years in the past? I've been poking fun at that since the day the game was announced. I must have forgotten that every time I fired up Textpad to work on the review.

Rosh

Erudite
That's like watching a train smear a kitten over the tracks.

Sick, but morbidly satisfying!

Vault Dweller

Developer
kumquatq3 said:
Or once you get a lightaber should the game be over. You can just cut through walls to get where you want and walk through anything but Jedi and standing armies, great idea.
In addition to what Saint already mentioned, once you get the lightsaber in kotor and gain a couple of jedi levels, dark jedi are the only enemies that can give you troubles. The fact that everybody can block your lightsaber doesn't make them more challenging, it just looks silly.

Does a special weeve really contradict all that is holy in the SW universe?
What's the SW universe without Jedi and their lightsabers? Anything that fucks with that fucks with the universe itself.

They are using swords :wink:.
Throwing in primitive items and giving them uber stats (there are swords way more powerful then lightsabers :shock: ) doesn't make the world primitive, it makes it silly.

BTW, are you suggesting that it isn't less technologically advanced? Looks or no? It was thousands of years before the movie, I'm betting that the Ebon Hawk isn't nearly as fast as the Falcon.
And yet, it's the fastest ship in the galaxy :roll: What are the odds that 4,000 years later the fastest ship in the galaxy is still based on the same design. Look at our technology, does the fastest plane, ship, or car from 50 years ago have similar design as what we have now? Granted, the SW universe is at the different more advanced phase but 4000 years is a VERY long time. As for the rest, yeah, it looks the same. I can't compare power output of a Sith cruiser and a Star Destroyer, but they look similar. The robots look the same, the weapons look the same, even planets look the same (i.e. Tatooine is a desert with the Jawa and the Sand people). So what's so different besides the fact that there is no the Empire?

Besides the droids are different and clearly look more primative.
How so? They have protocol droids, they have R2D2 looking droids (shape-wise), they have war droids that looks like those used in the ep1. If, for example, they used FO2 looking robots - the ones that don't carry a gun but use integrated weapons, now that would have been different. Otherwise...

That being said, if books or movies can make new canon, why can't games?
It they make sense, then yes. I think that the FPS SW games were pretty good.

Psilon

Erudite
The X-Wing series is effectively canon as well. Several books have mentioned the Assault Gunboat and TIE Defender.

Rosh

Erudite
You know what is funny? A couple of comic book authors could put well enough together that things looked and worked very differently thousands of years in the past. There were some similarities, but style, engineering, and so on are so very different

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Good review. Not buying the game because of it. Sounds like a typical Star Wars railed shooter. You don't actually get to do anything other than choose what you shoot at. All the options funnel you down to one way or the other and in the end, it's just a choice of how you're going to do something, rather than what you're going to do.

Not being able to initiate combat unless you're attacked? That's just fucked up. Again, the game sounds less like an RPG and more like a typical railed Star Wars shooter. Not my type of game.

As for light sabers being blocked. HAHAHA.

Kragerbone

Novice
To Saint_Proverbius and Darkunderlord...all I have to say is....what were you drinking when you made your decisions to rant on KOTOR?

It's really a very good game to play and become immersed in, and tho out of the box(for PC) it had several annoying bugs and a crash, at one point...that did not completely take away from the overall gaming experience, which is excellent.

Saint...I found your uberlong review helpful...but also it nitpicked on a lot of issues that were really issues of personal tastes and expectations, rather than overall gameplay. And the rant on lightsabers not cutting and slashing everything to pieces...well, I guess you can't have everything you hope for in the game...maybe the developers felt it would unfairly imbalance the game design, if lightsabers were more powerful that any other weapon in the game. I enjoyed their uses, without needlessly nitpicking them to death.

Secondly, while I truly enjoyed both Fallout and Fallout 2, to compare these two games (with Fallout2 being the measuring stick, I presume) is laughable IMHO. :lol:
Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic is light years ahead of Fallout2!!

Sure both Fallout games were grand in scope and design for their time, and played well, and were truly enjoyable games....I have found that I got more enjoyment from playing KOTOR. Just my opinion.

Also, comparitively speaking, KOTOR is a whole lot more fun to play than ToEE. (And I have both games...ToEE is getting dusty, while I have delved into KOTOR.) That is not to say you are wrong about YOUR opinion about ToEE...but I find after much research on the web, to well over 22 gaming sites...that KOTOR far outshines ToEE, in both ratings and gamers responses to both games.

I base this on research of the past 2 days of reading reviews and comments from reviewers from too many game sites to list here. After reading these reviews and noting the scores of each for both games(Both had bug issues out of the box) I have found that KOTOR is consistently ahead in ratings compared to ToEE. KOTOR has an overall rating of 92.5 compared to ToEE's rating of 81.5. To me these rankings are arbitrary, however they speak volumes as to how people enjoyed the OVERALL gaming experience of each one. I'd rather play an A game any day, over a B game...IMHO.

Lastly, Darkunderlord...don't let one reviewer keep you away from experiencing and playing a really top notch game in KOTOR...I think it's a great game and has a replayable quality to it that will be explored on the Dark path when I play it again.

Comparing the two games, I probably will eventually finish ToEE...but NOT before another run through of Dark Force KOTOR. I am not a novice to computer games, nor to the role-playing experience....I have played many games over my lifetime, some less enjoyable than others, but KOTOR is an engrossing, immersive, visually spectacular and overall wonderful game. One could do a whole lot worse by picking an inferior game.

These are my opinions, and some may disagree with me...which is what makes discussions about gaming fun to begin with...If anyone disagrees...that's your opinion...and I would like to hear it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kragerbone said:
To Saint_Proverbius and Darkunderlord...all I have to say is....what were you drinking when you made your decisions to rant on KOTOR?
A very promising introduction....

It's really a very good game to play and become immersed in, and tho out of the box(for PC) it had several annoying bugs and a crash, at one point...that did not completely take away from the overall gaming experience, which is excellent.
You forgot to mention "in my opinion"

And the rant on lightsabers not cutting and slashing everything to pieces...well, I guess you can't have everything you hope for in the game...maybe the developers felt it would unfairly imbalance the game design, if lightsabers were more powerful that any other weapon in the game.
We can't have everything we hope for in a game? We can't hope that a game set in a very specific universe would not contradict it? Now it's my turn to ask "what are drinking?"

Secondly, while I truly enjoyed both Fallout and Fallout 2, to compare these two games (with Fallout2 being the measuring stick, I presume) is laughable IMHO. :lol:
First of all, you presume wrong, it's FO1 not 2. Second, it's not "light years ahead" of anything. Third, you are an idiot.

Sure both Fallout games were grand in scope and design for their time, and played well, and were truly enjoyable games....I have found that I got more enjoyment from playing KOTOR. Just my opinion.
So you can talk like a reasonable person after all. Hmm, now I feel bad for calling you an idiot. I take it back then :lol:

Also, comparitively speaking, KOTOR is a whole lot more fun to play than ToEE.
How exactly do you compare a classic dungeon crawler with an adventure game. While you are at it can you compare ToEE to Quake. I'm just curious.

but I find after much research on the web, to well over 22 gaming sites...that KOTOR far outshines ToEE, in both ratings and gamers responses to both games.
My cluemeter is reading zero

These are my opinions, and some may disagree with me...which is what makes discussions about gaming fun to begin with...If anyone disagrees...that's your opinion...and I would like to hear it.
I'd like to disagree, only I don't see anything specific. Here is your post: Bla-bla-bla...it's a great game...bla-bla-bla....everybody likes it but you...bla-bla-bla. What is your point? What do you like? What do you don't like? If any of course. Why do you disagree about lightsabers? etc.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Kragerbone said:
A very promising introduction....

You forgot to mention "in my opinion"

And the rant on lightsabers not cutting and slashing everything to pieces...well, I guess you can't have everything you hope for in the game...maybe the developers felt it would unfairly imbalance the game design, if lightsabers were more powerful that any other weapon in the game.
We can't have everything we hope for in a game? We can't hope that a game set in a very specific universe would not contradict it? Now it's my turn to ask "what are drinking?"

First of all, you presume wrong, it's FO1 not 2. Second, it's not "light years ahead" of anything. Third, you are an idiot.

So you can talk like a reasonable person after all. Hmm, now I feel bad for calling you an idiot. I take it back then :lol:

Also, comparitively speaking, KOTOR is a whole lot more fun to play than ToEE.
How exactly do you compare a classic dungeon crawler with an adventure game. While you are at it can you compare ToEE to Quake. I'm just curious.

but I find after much research on the web, to well over 22 gaming sites...that KOTOR far outshines ToEE, in both ratings and gamers responses to both games.
My cluemeter is reading zero

I'd like to disagree, only I don't see anything specific. Here is your post: Bla-bla-bla...it's a great game...bla-bla-bla....everybody likes it but you...bla-bla-bla. What is your point? What do you like? What do you dislike, if any of course? Why do you disagree about lightsabers? etc.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Kragerbone said:

This really isn't a good start, really. Specially not for a first post.

Saint...I found your uberlong review helpful...but also it nitpicked on a lot of issues that were really issues of personal tastes and expectations, rather than overall gameplay.

Quite the reverse, it had much more about gameplay than actual personal tastes. Besides, reviews are, for their most part, about personal tastes, and how a game ranks up in a reviewer's personal scale. Furthermore, games, if they are showcased to gamers during their development stages, obviously create expectations, both when considering a company's past software library and a company's game when compared to other games in the same genre.

And the rant on lightsabers not cutting and slashing everything to pieces...well, I guess you can't have everything you hope for in the game...maybe the developers felt it would unfairly imbalance the game design, if lightsabers were more powerful that any other weapon in the game. I enjoyed their uses, without needlessly nitpicking them to death.

That isn't "nitpicking it to death", its an obvious remark to an obvious condition, the fact that the game, unlike other SW games already made, doesn't have light sabers cut trough items that should be cut, from wood to organic things. Lightsabers are supposed to be very powerful. Thats their point. You don't see the same happening in games like Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy. Yes the games are slightly different but the lightsabers still exist. You consider that lightsabers not cutting trough things may not be a problem - ask yourself what would happen if George Lucas' next SW had lightsabers acting like in KoTOR. I tell you, it wouldn't be pretty.

Ok then, show us where it is light years ahead of Fallout.

Well if you found you got more enjoyment out of KoTOR, then it's obviously your opinion, as its derived from your own appraisal and acceptance of the game. And i'm sure you realize that other people might feel different.

Also, comparitively speaking, KOTOR is a whole lot more fun to play than ToEE. (And I have both games...ToEE is getting dusty, while I have delved into KOTOR.) That is not to say you are wrong about YOUR opinion about ToEE...

Fun is subjective, yes.

And what does this tells us about the game?

I base this on research of the past 2 days of reading reviews and comments from reviewers from too many game sites to list here. After reading these reviews and noting the scores of each for both games(Both had bug issues out of the box) I have found that KOTOR is consistently ahead in ratings compared to ToEE. KOTOR has an overall rating of 92.5 compared to ToEE's rating of 81.5. To me these rankings are arbitrary, however they speak volumes as to how people enjoyed the OVERALL gaming experience of each one. I'd rather play an A game any day, over a B game...IMHO.

So you prefer to play a game that's fun for others instead of making up your own mind? Because that's what it seems - a person that goes to the effort of seeing other people's ratings and then use them in a debate as factual evidence to mark their own stance on the game.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Kragerbone said:

Ok then, show us where it is light years ahead of Fallout.

OMG, dood! U r teh noob! :P Can't you see that the graphics in KOTOR blow away Fallout by a long shot?! :roll:

Too bad that's the only thing about Fallout it is light years ahead of. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom