Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review Uberlong Knights of the Old Republic review

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kragerbone said:
To Saint_Proverbius and Darkunderlord...all I have to say is....what were you drinking when you made your decisions to rant on KOTOR?

Lots and lots of diet Dr. Pepper.

It's really a very good game to play and become immersed in, and tho out of the box(for PC) it had several annoying bugs and a crash, at one point...that did not completely take away from the overall gaming experience, which is excellent.

So you were totally immersed in the Battle of Ender Spire when Travik(I think that's his name, been a while) was telling you how to work the mouse? Or when your Dark Side character wasn't allowed to simply kill someone barring his/her progression but instead had to do some menial task for them? Or when you're yanked from being a character with a role and stats in to playing those goofy minigames?

Saint...I found your uberlong review helpful...but also it nitpicked on a lot of issues that were really issues of personal tastes and expectations, rather than overall gameplay.

That's basically what ALL reviews are, at least the good ones. A review on a type of media is qualitative, based on the reviewer's likes and dislikes. Although, many of the game sites these days tend to review games based on who made the thing and what bonus stuff they got for the review. More on that in a bit.

And the rant on lightsabers not cutting and slashing everything to pieces...well, I guess you can't have everything you hope for in the game...maybe the developers felt it would unfairly imbalance the game design, if lightsabers were more powerful that any other weapon in the game. I enjoyed their uses, without needlessly nitpicking them to death.

It seemed too much like D&D to me. In fact, from what another person has said in this thread, KotOR even nerfed the power of the blasters in favor of the swords. If I play a Star Wars game, I expect that it feels like Star Wars - not D&D. With all the little people running around with swords and the like and all the tomb raiding I did, it didn't really feel like Star Wars, and it certainly didn't look like it either.

Secondly, while I truly enjoyed both Fallout and Fallout 2, to compare these two games (with Fallout2 being the measuring stick, I presume) is laughable IMHO. :lol:
Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic is light years ahead of Fallout2!!

I didn't like Fallout 2 much, I thought Fallout was better. Now that's a game with a consistant setting and atmosphere. KotOR borks this feeling with the overall lack of freedom, especially for Dark Siders.

Sure both Fallout games were grand in scope and design for their time, and played well, and were truly enjoyable games....I have found that I got more enjoyment from playing KOTOR. Just my opinion.

KotOR backslides a little on Fallout's design. Well, it backslides a whole lot. In Fallout, the game was designed so you could whack whomever you wanted if they got in your way, and there was almost always another way to do something. The only exception would be if you botched that other way as well.

In KotOR, however, I got the whole feeling that I was often at the whim of the developer's design, like the thing with the acid pool I had to solves puzzles to get past. Why can't I just Force Jump it? It's also the lack of being able to strike someone down for mocking you or making you do their bidding because they are either involved in a miniquest later or the designers really want you to do that quest the way it was intended.

Also, comparitively speaking, KOTOR is a whole lot more fun to play than ToEE. (And I have both games...ToEE is getting dusty, while I have delved into KOTOR.) That is not to say you are wrong about YOUR opinion about ToEE...but I find after much research on the web, to well over 22 gaming sites...that KOTOR far outshines ToEE, in both ratings and gamers responses to both games.

Most of those gaming sites review based on who is developing the game rather than the game itself. Check around for all those reviews of NWN where they talk about how great the single player for NWN is. Did anyone really, really think the single player was great in NWN? Volourn is the only one I know that thought NWN's OC was good.

I also played through ToEE three times and started on the fourth time through, and managed to find something different each time. Once you play through KotOR twice, I bet you've seen everything.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Role-Player said:
Kragerbone said:
Secondly, while I truly enjoyed both Fallout and Fallout 2, to compare these two games (with Fallout2 being the measuring stick, I presume) is laughable IMHO. :lol:
Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic is light years ahead of Fallout2!!

Ok then, show us where it is light years ahead of Fallout.

OMG, dood! U r teh noob! :P Can't you see that the graphics in KOTOR blow away Fallout by a long shot?! :roll:

Too bad that's the only thing about Fallout it is light years ahead of. :P

OMG liek i r teh n00bness!! :lol:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Can we have Edit button here?
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! YES PLEASE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom